Best way to get into combo jobs?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Arch, May 12, 2016.

1. Arch

Arch Member

I've heard that the best way to get into combos is to sign everything even if the jobs suck. Once you have your foot in the door you have seniority over every PTer even if they have been with the company longer than you. Is that right?

What about FT drivers wanting to go combo? Do the combo guys also have the advantage to bid ahead of them too?

2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Yes full time senority trumps part time senority for bidding

3. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

We full timers screw over part timer's all the time. They don't vote so we take liberties.

4. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

In my small center combo guys work Saturdays but are off on Mondays, personally I wouldn't want to make the trade.

5. Distraction74

Distraction74 New Member

In my hub the current 22.3 people have first bid, then all FT, then PT. I went driving and got a 22.3 with less then 6 years with the company. I heard to go from PT to 22.3 you need at least 12 years.

6. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

That would rock IMO. Errands done with less madness and Mondays are always a cluster

7. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

I thought you had to drive for 15 years fulltime before you could bid on a combo job? Is that not the case anymore?

8. Distraction74

Distraction74 New Member

I think it varies from building to building. In my building you have to drive for a year.

9. Peppermint Patty

O ok thats what I wondered after I posted it if it was a building to building thing. Good to know. Thanks.

10. Depends on how many high seniority drivers that want to get out of package.

11. Peppermint Patty

All of us!

12. Trust me.... I know the feeling.

13. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

My foots in the door.

14. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

There may be a lot of people on the list. You only have to wait a year to apply for a classification transfer

15. gorilla75jdw

gorilla75jdw Active Member

You guys seriously should go to union meetings , and quit relying on information from Brown Cafe , since every Local is different.

16. :winnersmiley:

17. FrigidFTSup

I tried but they tied me up and dumped me in a marsh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. Savvy412

Savvy412 Active Member

that is true. I love saturday but mondays (for me atleast) suck sooo baddd. It would be a tough decision

19. FrigidFTSup

Always schedule my days off for Monday. Why would I take a Friday? Everyone is in a great mood and it's pretty smooth. Mondays, forget it.

20. DriverNerd

DriverNerd Member

Sign anything and everything, so long as you qualify. When I went full time there were a lot of combo bids being posted to fulfill the then new contract. The higher seniority part timers were waiting for the 'good bids'. I signed every one. Then the economy took a dump and no more bids, but I had already won one (although a crappy one). When new bids came up now and again for full timers I switched out of the crappy bid into something better. It only took a year and a half. Now all those former part timers are full time combos or drivers like me, but I have 3-5 more years seniority.