Best way to get into Management

UPSGUY72

You didn't mention your career field but I am willing to bet that you would most likely be over qualified for any of the management positions within operations.

LOL Does it really matter if the OP is over qualified or not he will probably make more money as a FT Sup at UPS than working in his career field...

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

Became a Casual in the Summer of this year... didn't get the necessary training until the fall to actually go out alone

I've been working for a month or two as a casual now....

Question: I have my Masters Degree, and have made it know I would be interested in a management position to HR and my Manager(s)/Sups..

What are my chances? Best way to do so?

And don't say ... don't do it... lol (as I understand the no union shield)

Looking for FT not PT... as I understand PT gets the short end of the stick... unless you are using it to pay for tuition (too late! :) _

First you need to be a good worker if not and nobody (Sup / center manager) likes you your not going any where Talk to your SUP and center manager about it. Get your resume up to date. As far as the letter of intent my center manager is checking on that right now there is a question if that is even need anymore. HR has little to do with it besides paperwork issues after they hire you. It starts with your center manager talk to him / her they will tell you what you need to do...

Good luck I'm a FT driver that is in the process of possibly moving to a FT management position after the 1st of the year...

Future

Victory Ride
123.gif
Became a Casual in the Summer of this year... didn't get the necessary training until the fall to actually go out alone

Question: I have my Masters Degree, and have made it know I would be interested in a management position to HR and my Manager(s)/Sups..

Looking for FT not PT... as I understand PT gets the short end of the stick... unless you are using it to pay for tuition (too late! :) _

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LOL Does it really matter if the OP is over qualified or not he will probably make more money as a FT Sup at UPS than working in his career field...

There is more to life than money. I would much rather be doing something that I enjoy and that allows me to use my brain rather than make $100K and destroy my body.

Future

Victory Ride
518kPiPloaL.jpg

I also have my Masters degree....and am very content being a Teamster

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Face palm. Best thing I ever did was "promote" out of part time management and went driving. $135k a year in feeder now and laughing my way to the bank, every day. I see the full time sups who were in the same ft candidate pool with me back in the day, and it blows my mind how many people blindly go into management and kiss their future earning potential away. The carrot dangles.

UPSGUY72

Face palm. Best thing I ever did was "promote" out of part time management and went driving. $135k a year in feeder now and laughing my way to the bank, every day. I see the full time sups who were in the same ft candidate pool with me back in the day, and it blows my mind how many people blindly go into management and kiss their future earning potential away. The carrot dangles.

One of my FT Sup that just left was making more than $135,000. So your theory about kiss their future earning potential away isn't true...

UPSGUY72

There is more to life than money. I would much rather be doing something that I enjoy and that allows me to use my brain rather than make $100K and destroy my body.

How does being Sup destroy your body ? Being a package drivers for 25 plus years destroys your body... There is more than money but when your degree field pays less than half of what your could make at UPS than your follow the money unless your still living with your mother....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How does being Sup destroy your body ? Being a package drivers for 25 plus years destroys your body... There is more than money but when your degree field pays less than half of what your could make at UPS than your follow the money unless your still living with your mother....

You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

UPSGUY72

You mean to tell me all the "facts" union employees share on here about going to management aren't true? I'm shocked.

When I heard people talking about how I was going to take a pay cut. I decided to do my own research. Although management people will not talk salary to you for obvious reasons. There are people in my building that have seen some of there numbers. So when I started asking about if I was going to take a pay cut I was informed absolutely not. Also like I said before your starting salary is negotiable and education and actually UPS work experience have and impact on the final starting salary you could negotiate...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
When I heard people talking about how I was going to take a pay cut. I decided to do my own research. Although management people will not talk salary to you for obvious reasons. There are people in my building that have seen some of there numbers. So when I started asking about if I was going to take a pay cut I was informed absolutely not. Also like I said before your starting salary is negotiable and education and actually UPS work experience have and impact on the final starting salary you could negotiate...
I was told all these things on here about going into FT management. I would be forced to be a liar and a cheat. I would be making little money. I was going to have to be a prick.

But yet, none of this has happened. It's funny that people who have never been in the position know so much about it..