Best way to get into Management

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
One of my FT Sup that just left was making more than $135,000. So your theory about kiss their future earning potential away isn't true...
What's the ratio of ft mgmt to non mgmt making these incomes? 1 out of 20, 1 out of 60? I guarantee that that those dinosaurs making 6 figures are being retired and put away forever. What about spousal/family healthcare and pension? How much does that cost? Most new generation mgmt isn't likely making this income PLUS these benefits. Oh, and where will you wake up working every 5 years? What shift? Will you ever get a holiday season with the family? How about sick time benefits? You'll soon be guilted into putting all of Big Brown's operational needs before your family's. But hey, you've got decades of experience right? And, the free polos are awesome. Good luck. I don't hate the players, just the game, and my cynicism comes from escaping the teeth of the machine-nothing personal. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Kicked Your Dog

I was told all these things on here about going into FT management. I would be forced to be a liar and a cheat. I would be making little money. I was going to have to be a prick.

But yet, none of this has happened. It's funny that people who have never been in the position know so much about it..
It's all relative. When you're already making peanuts and clawing at the pt sups around you, any type of advancement seems like a major lifestyle/career upgrade. It's like moving up from Walmart greeter to cashier. Life in the fishbowl.

By The Book

When I heard people talking about how I was going to take a pay cut. I decided to do my own research. Although management people will not talk salary to you for obvious reasons. There are people in my building that have seen some of there numbers. So when I started asking about if I was going to take a pay cut I was informed absolutely not. Also like I said before your starting salary is negotiable and education and actually UPS work experience have and impact on the final starting salary you could negotiate...
So...if you have an education and a lot of driver driver experience....which you have both....you may be taking a pay cut then. I would think green and uneducated would be preferred.

UPSGUY72

So...if you have an education and a lot of driver driver experience....which you have both....you may be taking a pay cut then. I would think green and uneducated would be preferred.

The chances of you getting a FT management job these days unless your have a degree are just about ZERO as that is a requirement They prefer people with working UPS knowledge also. So you'd be wrong.

If you applying for a PT Sup then you be correct they really just need someone that can follow instructions to start and a degree isn't required either a lot of working knowledge....

Kicked Your Dog

Have you ever wondered why the big money drivers never get offered a management position, and if they do, they laugh themselves right out of the office? Look around. It's all about hiring the new guys or the runner gunners who don't want to labor and aren't earning the higher wages as hourlies. UPS leverages a candidate's naïveté and unrealized earnings to make their mgmt compensation offer too good to refuse.

UPSGUY72

What's the ratio of ft mgmt to non mgmt making these incomes? 1 out of 20, 1 out of 60? I guarantee that that those dinosaurs making 6 figures are being retired and put away forever. What about spousal/family healthcare and pension? How much does that cost? Most new generation mgmt isn't likely making this income PLUS these benefits. Oh, and where will you wake up working every 5 years? What shift? Will you ever get a holiday season with the family? How about sick time benefits? You'll soon be guilted into putting all of Big Brown's operational needs before your family's. But hey, you've got decades of experience right? And, the free polos are awesome. Good luck. I don't hate the players, just the game, and my cynicism comes from escaping the teeth of the machine-nothing personal. Let us know how it goes.

I'm going to start as a ORS I'll be working Monday through Friday 7:00am till whenever some days it could be 3:00 pm other 7:00 or 8:00 since there are 3 ORS in my center the one that stays late isn't the same every day and some days none stay late...

I'm divorced so I'm single. I'm making the move so I don't have to touch my Union pension so my ex wife never collects a dime from it unless I die before her. If she dies before me I'll start collecting. The health care in my area is about the same as the unions run health care besides you pay a little and any out of pocket for the kids she has to pay half. Also ex wife isn't cover under my health anymore because UPS is a self insuring company...

UPSGUY72

Have you ever wondered why the big money drivers never get offered a management position, and if they do, they laugh themselves right out of the office? Look around. It's all about hiring the new guys or the runner gunners who don't want to labor and aren't earning the higher wages as hourlies. UPS leverages a candidate's naïveté and unrealized earnings to make their mgmt compensation offer too good to refuse.

What big money drivers are you talking about and what big money.

You have to apply for Ft management position each year they send you a letter in the mail to put your paperwork in if you want to. Most drivers have no intention of want to be a FT SUP. Most are comfortable doing what they doing and don't want to take on the responsibility of being a SUP, don't have the skills to be one or wanted to be one but could pass the assessment...

Future

Victory Ride
Became a Casual in the Summer of this year... didn't get the necessary training until the fall to actually go out alone

I've been working for a month or two as a casual now....

Question: I have my Masters Degree, and have made it know I would be interested in a management position to HR and my Manager(s)/Sups..

What are my chances? Best way to do so?

And don't say ... don't do it... lol (as I understand the no union shield)

Looking for FT not PT... as I understand PT gets the short end of the stick... unless you are using it to pay for tuition (too late! :) _

1438981011073.jpg

By The Book

The chances of you getting a FT management job these days unless your have a degree are just about ZERO as that is a requirement They prefer people with working UPS knowledge also. So you'd be wrong.

If you applying for a PT Sup then you be correct they really just need someone that can follow instructions to start and a degree isn't required either a lot of working knowledge....
I put a smiley face in my post to show I was joking around but it didn't show up.

Kicked Your Dog

I'm going to start as a ORS I'll be working Monday through Friday 7:00am till whenever some days it could be 3:00 pm other 7:00 or 8:00 since there are 3 ORS in my center the one that stays late isn't the same every day and some days none stay late...

I'm divorced so I'm single. I'm making the move so I don't have to touch my Union pension so my ex wife never collects a dime from it unless I die before her. If she dies before me I'll start collecting. The health care in my area is about the same as the unions run health care besides you pay a little and any out of pocket for the kids she has to pay half. Also ex wife isn't cover under my health anymore because UPS is a self insuring company...
Dude, why didn't you say all this in the first place?! You ARE ready. God bless you.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's all relative. When you're already making peanuts and clawing at the pt sups around you, any type of advancement seems like a major lifestyle/career upgrade. It's like moving up from Walmart greeter to cashier. Life in the fishbowl.
I'm 23 years old and I'm making more than any of the people I graduated with. I'd say that's pretty good.

By The Book

Something tells me you really don't like your ex wife! I base this on your previous posts, and I mean no disrespect. It almost seems as if you are doing everything possible to shelter your assets from her. Maybe going into management is a way for you to do this?

Kicked Your Dog

What big money drivers are you talking about and what big money.

You have to apply for Ft management position each year they send you a letter in the mail to put your paperwork in if you want to. Most drivers have no intention of want to be a FT SUP. Most are comfortable doing what they doing and don't want to take on the responsibility of being a SUP, don't have the skills to be one or wanted to be one but could pass the assessment...
Face palm. AGAIN. T
I'm 23 years old and I'm making more than any of the people I graduated with. I'd say that's pretty good.
MIT, Stanford or Princeton?

UPSGUY72

Something tells me you really don't like your ex wife! I base this on your previous posts, and I mean no disrespect. It almost seems as if you are doing everything possible to shelter your assets from her. Maybe going into management is a way for you to do this?

I have mixed feelings for her I'm nuts but if she changed her mind I get back together with her. On the other hand there is part of my that hates her so much that I'd will do everything to make her life miserable. So you be right I don't like her....

Not sheltering anything according to the divorce agreement she gets half my pension that I gained while married when I start collecting it. However she isn't going to see a dime of it unless I die before her and she doesn't have a pension where she works and has $12,000 in her 401K right know. she still has to pay me $11,000 $7,000 on Dec 31st and $1,333.33 every June for the next 3 years.