Best way to take off

I need off for like 1-2 days in the next few weeks.... I hate taking off b/c im a cover driver and they desperately need me...
Do I just tell them i'll be away and wont be here, put in personal days (most likely getting denied), or not say anything and call in sick? ( I do have all my sick days remaining)
I dont want to piss them off because I have been on thin ice with the company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are already on "thin ice" I would think that banging in twice over the next two weeks during prime vacation time as a cover driver may cause you to fall in.

Go to work---I'm sure whatever you have planned for those two days can wait.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I need off for like 1-2 days in the next few weeks.... I hate taking off b/c im a cover driver and they desperately need me...
Do I just tell them i'll be away and wont be here, put in personal days (most likely getting denied), or not say anything and call in sick? ( I do have all my sick days remaining)
It couldn't hurt to request an OPH....the worst they can say is no. And then, you show up.

poophappens

Just remember, management gives us sick days! So if it was me I would call in if its that important. They always give us a hard time for calling in and I always remind them that they gave them to me to use when I'm "sick" ;)

Squint

No more work for me!
Just remember, management gives us sick days! So if it was me I would call in if its that important. They always give us a hard time for calling in and I always remind them that they gave them to me to use when I'm "sick" ;)

I agree, and even though management doesn't follow the contract, they really can't harass you for calling in sick. Just call in and say you're sick and that you won't be coming in to work that day. Then hang up. If you want to be sneeky, call in before your management team gets there and leave a message with one of the OMS"s.

CFLBrown

Keep in mind he is a cover driver trying to get a FT job.

Cover driver means different things in different areas of the country.

Part time employee that drives to fill in vacations, call ins and understaffing.

or

Full time unassigned driver.

If he is a PT'er that is considered a cover driver, he cannot be passed on when a bid comes up, that is based on seniority, not attendance. It may very well be that if he qualified as a cover driver, he would not need to qualify again as a FT driver.

If he's a FT unassigned driver. Then this post doesn't mean much. There are plenty of people that blow through their option/sick days before January is over and he's got all of them left.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Request your optional holidays per your local rider guidelines. This gives them the opportunity to cover for you. If by chance that the request is denied then call in the day that you asked for and tell them you wpn't be in that day to attend to personal business.

over9five

Staff member
Request your optional holidays per your local rider guidelines. This gives them the opportunity to cover for you. If by chance that the request is denied then call in the day that you asked for and tell them you wpn't be in that day to attend to personal business.

Agree with that. Don't get caught in a lie saying you're sick when you're not. All you need is to run into your center manager when you're down the pub drinking that day.

ALSO, haven't checked into this yet, but I was told by management the other day that if you ask for an optional and are denied...... if you then bang in - they won't pay you.
This tells me you should just bang in. You think you're doing the right thing by asking first, but as usual they will turn around and stick it up your butt if you do.
​Dumb, dumb, dumb.....

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you try to give them notice, they'll deny it, so give them at least one hours and just call in and tell them you can't come in. When I call in, I just tell them the truth about why I can't come in. I agree with don't say you're sick if you are planning on going to the ballgame, just say I won't be able to come in today and leave it @ that

CFLBrown

Agree with that. Don't get caught in a lie saying you're sick when you're not. All you need is to run into your center manager when you're down the pub drinking that day.

ALSO, haven't checked into this yet, but I was told by management the other day that if you ask for an optional and are denied...... if you then bang in - they won't pay you.
This tells me you should just bang in. You think you're doing the right thing by asking first, but as usual they will turn around and stick it up your butt if you do.
​Dumb, dumb, dumb.....

Management says a lot of things that don't actually fly with how the contract is written. If they aren't going to pay you for that day its either an option for you to A) File to get paid or B) use it to take another day off in the future.

over9five

Staff member
Management says a lot of things that don't actually fly with how the contract is written. If they aren't going to pay you for that day its either an option for you to A) File to get paid or B) use it to take another day off in the future.
Yup, I kinda figured on "B". It's a day in the bank!

The diarrhea is the excuse everyone will understand.

oldngray

nowhere special
The diarrhea is the excuse everyone will understand.

Not really. I called in once and truthfully told them I had severe diarrhea and they kept trying to beg me to come in and would have a sup ride with me to help. I said unless there is a port-a-potty on that truck I can't work.