Best way to use map efficiently without wasting time.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When you're trying to make seniority you do what you have to do. If that means driving the route in your car on saturday, de-schitting your load before start time, working through lunch, etc so be it. Once you make book I'll be the first to come explain why you should stop doing all those things and work at a steady safe pace and give them nothing.

scisector9

All great advice. I made seniority in July and I did all of it. Drove training route weekend before I started. Note addresses. Write them down. After a few days you will be able to associate address in board with stop and businesses names. I came on early and set up and mapped air. Ran straight air first couple days solo. I had a paper map and my smart phone for tricky addresses.

As stated above if your center has orion you can get very detailed maps off orion computers in the am. Just remember that it will likely change 2 minutes before pcm but its a good starting point. There is even a way to get turn by turn off Orion but I've never used them. Route for me is a good app also for plotting your air or rural stops. Its an optimizer program to run stops most efficiently.

Remember the first few days solo will be hell. It gets better day by day. Just do your best and don't panic and especially don't crash or hurt yourself. I needed bailed out several times during progression and have needed help since then covering routes.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

mdnj88

The kid is trying to get a FT position---a little of his own time spent now will be a small investment in a 30 year career.

I stand by my advice.

I'm with ya on this one. I got a print out of my training route and ran it in my car on a Sunday afternoon about 3 times. Also did the pickups a couple times. Monday I went out by myself and was very comfortable with the area and by Thursday I was scratch.

JL 0513

When you're trying to make seniority you do what you have to do. If that means driving the route in your car on saturday, de-schitting your load before start time, working through lunch, etc so be it. Once you make book I'll be the first to come explain why you should stop doing all those things and work at a steady safe pace and give them nothing.

Exactly. Anyone who gives someone grief for working off the clock during probation is giving bad advice. Making seniority is HARD. If you don't prepare and practice off the clock, you probably won't make it unless you have plenty of driving experience and area knowledge ahead of your probation period. You also can expect to work at least half your lunch hour. My first week I didn't take any breaks at all and still struggled to make decent time. On week two, my center manager said he wanted me to stop for lunch for a half hour as he could see I was working straight through all day.

This makes or breaks the rest of your life. You do whatever it takes those 30 days.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its that hard cokeman. These idiots don't play around dogg. Its to the point now where its almost impossible to qualify all depending on the center manager obviously. The moneys there for the drivers, I totally get it. Wasn't that hard back in the day before they put sensors on everything. They know where your at, know if you got seatbelt on, know if bulkhead door is open, how far and often you back, you cant sheet a package while the truck is running or in motion, you cant start truck up unless seatbelt is on. Aint no joke bro.

BrownArmy

I haven't read all the responses, but here's my advice:

Find a map-book of the area you're going to be delivering, preferably one that has all the towns adjacent to your delivery area (if you bid a route, never mind, but if you're cover, you'll need those maps sooner rather than later).

Cut the pages out, 'laminate' them with clear packing tape (both sides), and keep them in your work bag.

Using the phone to check addresses is useful in a pinch, but honestly, you'll waste so much time with your phone, and your battery will die, etc.

With a map in front of you, you'll 'get the big picture'.

If you do it good with the packing tape, your map will survive coffee spills, you can fold it up, you can slide it in the seam of the plate that covers the instrument panel - easy viewing, etc.

Also, as others have posted, if you know the area you're going to be delivering to, it is quite useful to spend a couple hours on a Saturday driving the area.

Looking at the phone only gives you your next stop...looking at a paper map gives you the depth and breadth of the entire route...

You'll learn the traffic patterns (schools getting out, five o'clock traffic when everyone's leaving work, etc...)

Like Upstate says, work smarter, not harder.

Coca Cola Delivery Man87

Its that hard cokeman. These idiots don't play around dogg. Its to the point now where its almost impossible to qualify all depending on the center manager obviously. The moneys there for the drivers, I totally get it. Wasn't that hard back in the day before they put sensors on everything. They know where your at, know if you got seatbelt on, know if bulkhead door is open, how far and often you back, you cant sheet a package while the truck is running or in motion, you cant start truck up unless seatbelt is on. Aint no joke bro.

lmfao.

BigBrown3605

If you have apartment complex's on the route. Go to the office and ask for an apartment map. If they can't provide one, Google earth the complex and draw your own...... I have a binder with about 40 apartment and mobile home parks in protection sheets......

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm sure your answer has been more than covered.

Here's my advice get a real map. Some of my maps are 3ft by 4ft. You can't exactly get the same feel for how everything connects by looking at a 5 inch cell screen.

Mack Grant

Drive with one hand on the wheel and the other holding the map .......you will be fine
Had a center manager who was a driver who told me he did exactly this and mimicked himself with one hand on the wheel and another holding a map in front of his face.