Between access points and Amazon locker.... How many routes will be cut

jaker

trolling
This is a weird subject , you are saying that AP are getting routes cut because drivers are not doing Send agains

But what happens when there are no send agains , I might lose two send agains to a AP but when I have no send agains I don't lose two stops

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
so..... Access points are cutting routes. some drivers would have 10-20 resi send agains, now those are going to access points. I figure at least 200 stops are being saved per day thanks to access points. So let's say about 1.5-2 routes can be cut

Now Amazon locker is coming. These lockers will hold 20 or so packages. We should have about 20 lockers in my center. 400 more stops will be gone. Another 2-3 routes

How is this not a union issue. We are loosing full time jobs yet the union says nothing. "It's making our job easier".
Must be mostly a local or big city issue. Every access point I knew of in 3 different centers was toast within 3 months.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's positions like this that will give the union a bad rep among people who don't know a lot about unions.

This is a matter of becoming more efficient. Send agains are not efficient, and we don't make the customer pay for 3 attempts, we GRANT 3 attempts in an effort to not tick off the customer.

If we were giving the job to a non-union worker you might have an argument, but all we're doing is making an existing job more cost effective.

Under your logic, UPS should have been prevented from putting in extendos for an unloader, because it's faster than using T-stands and rollers and it allows us to operate with fewer unloaders.
Actually you could argue the work is being given to non union employees.

Those aren't ups clerks the customer is picking their package up from.

dudebro

Actually you could argue the work is being given to non union employees.

Those aren't ups clerks the customer is picking their package up from.
Maybe, but if it's in a 7-11, they're paid to make min wage and sit there anyway. If it's a locker, there's nobody there.

I think you guys have a better argument with feeder expeditors.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There are a few routes here that have 10-20 AP packages everyday. Two of those routes have pickups at UPS stores every night. So those AP packages never see a clerk and never see a second day on a truck at all. They're delivered to an AP (the Ups Store) the same day they were attempted, before the customer even has a chance to call in and complain that if they wanted to drive somewhere to pickup their crap they would have just gone to the store to buy it in the first place.

MethodsMan

My access point convenience store just quit. She got tired of people coming into her store bitching about their package being sent there. She left most the packages laying on the floor while shes laying back in her recliner behind the register watching movies or taking naps.

Oh, I have an amazon locker as well. In a little over a month since its been there I think I've delivered 2 packages to it and maybe 5 call tags?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
There are a few routes here that have 10-20 AP packages everyday. Two of those routes have pickups at UPS stores every night. So those AP packages never see a clerk and never see a second day on a truck at all. They're delivered to an AP (the Ups Store) the same day they were attempted, before the customer even has a chance to call in and complain that if they wanted to drive somewhere to pickup their crap they would have just gone to the store to buy it in the first place.
If I ordered something online and then had to go pick it up anyway I'd be pissed.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
A route I cover semi regularly has a liquor store access point that get at least 15 pieces a day...the guy hates it and always complains when someone brings stuff in...and I'm sure the customers are thrilled that they have to go pick up their online order that's supposed to go to their house.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You think the union can stop people from requesting their packages be put in a locker?
Wait until thieves start realizing there are cell phones and such in these lockers.... All they need is a crowbar... Some of these lockers are in shady parts of town at least the few I have seen and I would never have anything delivered to one...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I agree with OP. Ups is slowly getting rid of the qualities that made it such a successful company to begin with. Packages should not be sent to AP after only the first attempt, thats horrible customer service. I would agree SOME could go after 2 attempts, but most packages should only go to AP if NI3 since Ups is known to make 3 attempts.

I don't know what amazon lockers are but it sounds like just another way to eliminate union jobs which none of us should support. Right now there are 4 laid off drivers in our center who only work mainly Wed. and Thurs. and we are a small center of 27 drivers. So if they keep cutting routes and adding crap like "amazon lockers" then lays off will go up and Ups won't hire anyone.

I am getting more and more worried everyday for my career because I want to work for at least another 29 years. But with the increase of competition and Ups seriously lacking in customer service, I have my doubts that I'll have a job until retirement.
It sucks you are at such a small center they have hired a couple hundred drivers between 2 or 3 buildings the last 2 years....and countless feeder drivers...