Bias toward "runners"?

UPS Lifer

Got to agree with Heffernan! If you make SPORH and you don't have injuries, accidents, complaints, claims or missed pus ...you are the PERFECT driver....no one is going to go looking to fix you. It is what it is!!

I never heard of the term milker. We talked about milking the clock but we called slow drivers slugs not milkers. Another term was "riding the clock" kind of like riding a bucking bronco in a rodeo! SoCal used the term phrase "the driver was in the weeds" meaning "in the hole" or over allowed.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have noticed on many posts poeple are always saying bad things about so called "runners. Maybe we can change that to "people who actual work and give some effert". Im sick of the what I call the "milkers", you know the drivers who come to work, start bitching at the stop count first thing, claim they have to many airs, send 9.5 message at 11 a.m, can't make business stops, or call the center to et help for a 71 pound package ect.. , ect.... Maybe we should make the "milkers" more of a issue then the "runners". I mean who makes your day more of a pain for everyone? the guy who comes to work and gets the job done or the "milker" who you need go help at 7p.m every other day?

Runners and milkers screw people over equally. Runners screw up the dispatch for everone else and Milkers are basically stealing time. Both are wrong. I tend to have a problem with Runners more though. Running, much like milking, isn't how the job is supposed to be done. Lately our stewards have been cracking down on people setting up their loads off the clock and quess which category those drivers fall under?....that's right....the runners. They bitch and whine everytime they are told to get out of their truck but fail to realize that they are violating the contract by working off the clock by setting up their loads and skipping their lunch. It seems that they think that they only have to follow the parts of the contract they chose. Then they wonder why management trys to do the same thing. The milkers need to be dealt with too but don't confuse milkers with people that are doing the job correctly. Besides...I figured runners would love milkers. Whenever our runners take a route that a slower person usually runs they usually smoke that route since the dispatch reflects the slower person. Management tends to overlook runners because those negative numbers on the OR make them look good. Everything is cool until one of the runners gets hurt or has an accident and that is when they tell the injured runner that they wouldn't have twisted their ankle, broken their leg, injured their back, or slipped and fell if they had been following the methods. Runners...SLOW DOWN! Milkers....STOP STEALING!

Bad Gas!

IEvery center has the strong and the week.I probably fall in the middle.My slogan is "I'll do the best I can and that's all I can do.There might abe a few gunners who tear my route up.I'm not mad.That's there perogative.They might have something they need to do.But I'll tell em to exspect 10-15 more stops the next day without fail.These dispatchers tend to dispatch by what they can get out of you.I'll run every stop if it takes all night(residential route).They can make the call.My other slogan is "if you help me in the a.m -I'll help you in the p.m....Piece-be safe!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Runners and milkers screw people over equally. Runners screw up the dispatch for everone else and Milkers are basically stealing time. Both are wrong. I tend to have a problem with Runners more though.

I'll agree and disagree with you at the same time.

No one should be touching a package before their start time. There is no disagreement there. That doesn't make that guy a "runner". He's just a misinformed union employee who needs to be shown the light by a senior union employee

And trust me, If I even smell I'm being taken advantage of by dispatch. They will be taking work off me or I will be going over 10 (which they don't like) With PAS and EDD, I know if i'm being screwed or not. That doesn't make me a "milker", just watching my back

pkg-king

we gave up service in our name when they changed the brand. Where have you been?
it is no longer known as united parcel service
Ahhhhhh your retired

I thought we were known as UPS to, but was suprised to see our W2's have United Parcel Service listed as the employer, I thought we dropped that.

paidslave

I love only the runners.......as long as their knees hold out they are nice people! and all the crappy service and accidents and bad service! They are nice! They even sign for customers packages!

:greedy: yeah Bonus!

Tony31yrs

I'd like a reply from one of the management members. If a driver is setting up his load in the morning before he punches in and gets hurt-does he go on comp or do you put him on disability?

satellitedriver

I love only the runners.......as long as their knees hold out they are nice people! and all the crappy service and accidents and bad service! They are nice! They even sign for customers packages!

:greedy: yeah Bonus!
Please, read what you posted and try to condense it into a cohesive thought next time.

paidslave

A runner is anyone that works harder than you and makes you look bad. A milker is anyone that works slower than you therefore causing you to pick up their slack.

Almost.

A bit more specific:

A runner is someone that has no education.
unskilled
A milker is someone that has an education!
skilled

This is as lamens as it gets!

Overpaid Union Thug

Based on what goes on in my center here is what I think the definition of runners and milkers should be. If anyone is offended by either of the two then they are probably quilty of one. This affects others (customers and other drivers). Anyone else that falls somewhere in between is probably doing the job correctly.

Runner: a driver that moves at a speed greater than walking at a brisk pace, which usually is running, while moving from the truck to the delivery point and then the same speed back to the truck. they also tend to, but don't always, drive a little more aggresively than you average driver and also, but not always, cut corners during the route such as not using the propper methods when delivering apartments (example: not attempting the apt. office when someone isn't home. runners also tend to skip their lunches. they are also more likely to work off the clock in the a.m. to set up their loads. runners appear to save the company money but those saving can quickly be negated by their poor service. driver follow ups,excessive send agains, and paid claims add up.

Milker: a driver that takes their time for everything. they move at a speed that is less than a brisk walking pace. they will usually spend more time socializing with customers than your average driver. they are in no hurry to get off the clock. in a way they are stealing time but the extra money earned compared to the fact that most milkers screw up less (less follow ups) and that they have less send agains can be be overlooked. milkers can cause other drivers to have to work later when they need help.

steeltoe

I'll agree and disagree with you at the same time.

No one should be touching a package before their start time. There is no disagreement there. That doesn't make that guy a "runner". He's just a misinformed union employee who needs to be shown the light by a senior union employee

And trust me, If I even smell I'm being taken advantage of by dispatch. They will be taking work off me or I will be going over 10 (which they don't like) With PAS and EDD, I know if i'm being screwed or not. That doesn't make me a "milker", just watching my back

I see now. I misunderstood you the whole time. "No one should be touching packages before their start time.....He's just a misinformed union employee who needs to be shown the light by a senior employee." I guess you were never informed to drive with your bulkhead door closed. Pick and choose what you believe is right from wrong. Not the contract or company policy.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I see now. I misunderstood you the whole time. "No one should be touching packages before their start time.....He's just a misinformed union employee who needs to be shown the light by a senior employee." I guess you were never informed to drive with your bulkhead door closed. Pick and choose what you believe is right from wrong. Not the contract or company policy.

Steeltoe

Driving with my bulkhead door open is not a Union issue
Working off the clock is !! Get with it

The Bulkhead door safety issue is a UPS policy to protect them from being sued if a package flies from inside the car into the street and causing an accident or damaging the package. If something happens, UPS is not liable. That is there protection

When doing residential deliveries, I leave it open, faster and convienient
Near the center and on the highway it stays closed when I drive

When you answer your cell phone, do you put it in the diad as a break. Apparently that is a personal time, not doing UPS work. There is so many policies, it can be used to fight anyone

I do my job well and thats that

Bad Gas!

We have a gunner in our bonus center that makes around 3 hours bonus a day.He's been around 24 years,chain smokes,sets his truck up in am for an hour and a half,skips lunch on most days,gets more work because of it,never complains.He's a friend of mine.But I think he is INSANE!Management loves him but didvision manager wants his allowances cut because he's making too much bonus....Oh yea,At peak he refuses a helper and runs up to 250-260 stops and in by 7....No thanks...Overtime> bonus!

B

Bombed Load

Many "runners" work off the clock, don’t follow methods, and work unsafely for one simply reason: to get in early. They do not understand that their selfish actions only help to keep everyone in the center out later. Routes would be added or at least not cut if these drivers did the job properly. They are not only hurting themselves, but everyone in the center.