Bias toward "runners"?

Just work safely and do the best you can....If you don't take your lunch or breaks, you are dishonest and should be fired. In some areas you will be fired.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Fired for skiping lunch or break. Name me a driver that went his entire career without at times skipping some break time and I'll call him a liar. It's amazing how many little things you can get fired over but yet I never see anyone fired over them. If you get fired it is usually the final straw in a buildup of offenses.

Treegrower

UPS instructs you to walk at a brisk pace. They do not tell you to run, therefore why would you?

A"brisk pace" is so subjective!!! I just cannot move as fast as I could 22 years ago. And I sure can't move as fast as a "runner" who is at least 15 years younger than me. And since my surgery and rehab I am still on the mend and thus even slower. I get the job done everyday without help and without complaint.

UPS Lifer

A"brisk pace" is so subjective!!! I just cannot move as fast as I could 22 years ago. And I sure can't move as fast as a "runner" who is at least 15 years younger than me. And since my surgery and rehab I am still on the mend and thus even slower. I get the job done everyday without help and without complaint.

A brisk work pace is defined as 3 ft a second.

satellitedriver

When I was hired in 86' the pace was 5ft per second or two long strides, which seemed about right for a steady walk pace.
As a test, I just walked through my living room at 3ft per second. My 85 year old mother-in-law walks faster than that.
Try it.
The average walk stride is about three feet.
Count one thousand and one between footfalls and walk 50 feet. At the end of the test if you believe that 3ft per second is brisk, then you must be walking into one heck of a headwind.

UPS Lifer

Just for future reference, is that a written policy? If so where is it written?

One of the TS supervisors could probably pull it out of a manual for you. The problem is finding a TS person. Get with IE. they should be able to dig it out of one of their manuals. In the 340 methods it is defined as just a brisk walk pace.

Remember - this is an average per stop. You have to average 3 ft a second for all distances traveled by foot. So if you have a handtruck with 4 heavy packages or one letter your average to make the allowance is 3 ft a second for the distance you traveled. As a supervisor either training or on a methods ride - rule of thumb is 1 average size stride every second.

BigBrownSanta

According to my calculations "brisk" outside walks are:

5 - 25 ft. = 2.77 ft. per second.

26 - 50 ft. = 3.125 ft. per second.

51 - 100 ft. = 3.571 ft. per second.

101 - 200 ft. = 3.846 ft. per second.

Over 200 ft. = 3.86 ft. per second and the farther you walk, the ft. per second increases.

If you use a 2 wheeler, you don't have to walk quite as "briskly", and inside walks are a little less "brisk" than outside walks with or without a 2 wheeler.

Treegrower

Don'tr forget to factor in sub zero temps that makes walking long drives and parking lots treacherous. As well as snow build up and uneven surfaces.

UPS Lifer

According to my calculations "brisk" outside walks are:

5 - 25 ft. = 2.77 ft. per second.

26 - 50 ft. = 3.125 ft. per second.

51 - 100 ft. = 3.571 ft. per second.

101 - 200 ft. = 3.846 ft. per second.

Over 200 ft. = 3.86 ft. per second and the farther you walk, the ft. per second increases.

If you use a 2 wheeler, you don't have to walk quite as "briskly", and inside walks are a little less "brisk" than outside walks with or without a 2 wheeler.

I am going back a million years ago but I seem to remember those breakdowns from my IE days. Each walk was classified during the TS based on the shortest and safest path.