Bid back to package from feeder?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ok Call me crazy but here's the deal. Full time Package car driver for about 4 years. Got the opportunity to go to feeder. Went to feeder school, productive week and right into a bid run. No coverage board. I've been on it for about 20 working days. The more I do it the more I'm really not fond of it. Don't know if its the nights or just being away from the family. Compared to packages the work is a total different league. Very easy! So now down to the question. Im in the southern agreement. Since I'm still in my 30 days qualification period can I disqualify myself and go back to my package car bid or would I have to quit to go back??

When you signed the list for Feeder school, did it not mention that there was a 2 year commitment upon completion of the school? We have a list up now, and it says that very thing. It might be time for you to stick it out for the next 23 months doing easy physical work and making more money.

Because if you quit, I'm pretty sure you would be quitting the company, not JUST the feeder department.

UPS just paid for you to get your CDL class A, now they want you to use it.

Or, you could go this route
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/took-out-a-telephone-pole-at-hub-entrance.356347/

degill7994

I know a driver in Southeast that had twenty years in pkg went to feeders and dq himself before his thirty days . He came back to his old route.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Might be different under the southern supplement, but like some others have already said we have no 30 day qual period in the Atlantic Area. Once you get through production week that's it, you're on the Q list for 2 years or until you get your bid rights at which point there's no going back.

gottogo

Out here in our local in Cali, we can go back before the thirty days are up, then you would have to get a note from your Dr. to disqualify you. Be careful with the wording though for going back to package. Ask your B.A.. Out here, the wait in our bldg is approx 23 years just to go to feeder school but you go back to package when their is no work for you. Why so long? Union ok'd the list from the date when you put your name on the list to company seniority. Bad move by our union.

gorilla75jdw

I'm in the southern region , Central States , White's Creek Tennessee feeder division . If you haven't got your 30 (working) days in , you can most definitely disqualify yourself . It's a no Brainer here . But we are now down to pulling from the part time bid sheet to feeder cover driver . I am a 21 year full time employee and have never seen anything like this . I understand that it's a lifestyle change , but most of the old head part time vets I talk to within the White's Creek hub are most stumped by having to drive a Manuel transmission vehicle , even though maybe 15% of our tractors are automatic . Non the less , a chance to make a minimum 85 grand a year from 35,40 grand a year as a part time employee would seem to be a no Brainer . It's became mind boggling the excuses that I have been giving , and don't get me wrong it's none of my or your business as to why someone would not want to be more prosperous financially at 35 to 40 years old , but it's whatever floats your boat . Who am I to question somebody elses happiness within our brotherhood . But for all its worth , please do not tell anybody that the reason you will not go into a full time driving position is that you cannot drive a stick shift ( Manuel transmission) . I have offered to teach some in my own personal vehicle , it's a beater ( piece of shyt) but it runs and can serve a purpose , as well I know of atleast 2 supervisors that are offering to teach others to drive Manuel transmission UPS vehicles off the clock on the weekends with very limited showings . In the end , as much as I hate it the company has exhausted all avenues thus far for filling these full time feeder positions and have not succeeded from the full or part time bedsheets within our hub of 1100 part timers , which will probably have to pull off the street new hires . I know it sounds ludicrous , it does me too as I have been employed St White's Creek for 21 years , but nobody is biting . Weather it's the hours , the cover board or the routes , I don't know why , it's baffling but it is happening . Is this happening anywhere else ?

Sent using BrownCafe App

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In the southwest, California, Arizona... THERE IS NO GOING BACK. THERE IS NO 30 DAY PERIOD.

Once you start the feeder process, and this is defined as attending the Feeder Seminar, there is "NO REVERSING THE PROCESS". Secondly, there is ONE OUT during the process after you complete all your paperwork and new application for feeder.

In the Southwest, if you decide before you start feeder class or after you complete feeder class that FEEDER isnt for you, you can file for a resignation from FEEDER with HR. This comes with a GIANT sacrifice.

Simply explained, once you apply with feeder and complete your processing and get accepted into feeder, your classification changes and you are now a feeder driver by classification. YOU no longer have package car seniority.

If you resign from feeder, and want to return to package in the southwest, you have to be RE-CLASSIFIED as a package driver and you would come back to package as the lowest man in the center.

YOU VACATE ALL CENTER SENIORITY. This is in our contract. (southwest package rider)

That means, you lose your route, you lose your position in picking vacations, you are the first to get layed off and you would most likely be unable to bid and win an open route.

You could have 25 years with the company but you would still be the lowest man in the center. Its a GIANT penalty for accepting the training and going back.

There are NO OTHER disqualifying reasons in our rider. If you claim a medical condition, you still are subject to the terms of the rider.

Now, HR is making all potential drivers looking into feeder sign a document outlining this process and drivers at that point are weeding themselves out.

UPS just started training new feeder drivers last week and the first 28 guys on the list PASSED because of this rule.

TOS.

brett636

It depends on your local rider/supplement, but to the best of my knowledge if you don't have your 30 days in then you should be able to self disqualify. Now that could mean a longer waiting period to get back into feeders. I was told by a Chicago driver that if someone self disqualifies then they have to wait 5 years to try feeders again versus just a 1 year wait if they get disqualified involuntarily. I would brush up on your local language regarding feeder disqualifying before making the decision if I were you.

brett636

I'm in the southern region , Central States , White's Creek Tennessee feeder division . If you haven't got your 30 (working) days in , you can most definitely disqualify yourself . It's a no Brainer here . But we are now down to pulling from the part time bid sheet to feeder cover driver . I am a 21 year full time employee and have never seen anything like this . I understand that it's a lifestyle change , but most of the old head part time vets I talk to within the White's Creek hub are most stumped by having to drive a Manuel transmission vehicle , even though maybe 15% of our tractors are automatic . Non the less , a chance to make a minimum 85 grand a year from 35,40 grand a year as a part time employee would seem to be a no Brainer . It's became mind boggling the excuses that I have been giving , and don't get me wrong it's none of my or your business as to why someone would not want to be more prosperous financially at 35 to 40 years old , but it's whatever floats your boat . Who am I to question somebody elses happiness within our brotherhood . But for all its worth , please do not tell anybody that the reason you will not go into a full time driving position is that you cannot drive a stick shift ( Manuel transmission) . I have offered to teach some in my own personal vehicle , it's a beater ( piece of shyt) but it runs and can serve a purpose , as well I know of atleast 2 supervisors that are offering to teach others to drive Manuel transmission UPS vehicles off the clock on the weekends with very limited showings . In the end , as much as I hate it the company has exhausted all avenues thus far for filling these full time feeder positions and have not succeeded from the full or part time bedsheets within our hub of 1100 part timers , which will probably have to pull off the street new hires . I know it sounds ludicrous , it does me too as I have been employed St White's Creek for 21 years , but nobody is biting . Weather it's the hours , the cover board or the routes , I don't know why , it's baffling but it is happening . Is this happening anywhere else ?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I'm out of Indy and this has been the case since I went feeders in 2010. We've had several feeder bids since I have come in and most of the time we take in more off the street hires than we do from inside or other nearby buildings. Most of the package car guys don't want to give up their seniority they have in package, the vast majority of our remaining combo guys(I came from 22.3 combo) are terrified of driving period and won't come in, and a lot of our part-timers can't make the cut because they can't drive stick and or flunk their road test due to lack of tractor driving experience. I agree its odd to see so many people pass up on this great job, and I encourage everyone I know who has a chance to atleast try because I enjoy what I do everyday. In the end it comes down to each individual's desire to come in and they really have nobody to blame but themselves if they don't atleast try and someone with less seniority gets in over them.

BTW, hows that new division manager working out for you? ;)

ArcherUTR

I made it to Feeders after just a year and a half of package. I thought I'd give it a try because I hadn't planned on working for UPS, had no intentions being in management, and it seemed like the only 'promotion' for a driver.

Unfortunately, at that time I caught the last of a receding wave of Feeder expansion. I often would be bounced back to package for a week or two. And when working in Feeders my name would be in the bottom few. This meant I couldn't pass on the work, some times only worked a couple of days a week, had to argue with management to make up hours in the hub, wait all day long for a phone call - only to get a laid off call at about 10pm. Oh, and by the way "You're on call again in two hours." And I was always guaranteed to get called in every Friday night about 11pm to shift in the yard for half my shift and then run mop up work through the morning.

I was way too young and way to single to be living the upside down lifestyle. Let's not even get into weight on ones shoulders of driving down the highway in the middle of the night pulling doubles and trying to stop your eyes from rolling into the back of your head.

I lasted about a year and was cracking. One evening while arguing with a manager about getting some hours in the hub, he asked me why I just didn't write a letter stating that after some reasonable period of time that I had still not received a bid route and wished to bounce myself back down to Package car.

I did. It worked, although I'm not really sure if everything was according to contract protocol. I would have been on that on call list for 5 years. But recently, maybe due to retirees, there have been a number of Feeder Classes. Had I stayed I would probably be sitting pretty. I'd probably be fat too.

Tough Guy

You went feeder after 4 years that is great , if I have the chance to go feeder now after 10 years ( still got another 5 to be even asked ) I would never look back and you have that chance after 4

Think about it you have 26 years until you can get a full pension and you are able to spend that whole time in feeder and make feeder money

I don't know what to say good luck hope you make the right choice
Isn't feeder and package car driver the same top rate?

Overpaid Union Thug

Sent using BrownCafe App

Why can't people from the extended centers around Whites Creek (Including Massman) bid into feeders and package in other buildings like it's done in some areas of the country? It sounds like Whites Creek really could use the help. I'm in one of those extended centers and we've been hearing that Whites Creek is so desperate for feeder drivers that low seniority package drivers and part-timers with as little as two years are going into feeders there but it's still not enough so some of the work is being sub-contracted. Plus, there have been quite a few disqualifications too from what we are hearing. Now is the perfect time to allow the rest of us in. I wish we were all on one combined seniority list. It seems to work in other areas. Why not local 480? I mean really.....why subcontract when there is more than a few people in all of these extended centers that would love to go into feeders.

Last edited:

QKRSTKR

I think once you are on the feeder list for 2 years, going back and forth and not moved to a permanent position, you can ask to be removed from the list. The OP said he is already in a position. I think he is locked in. Hope we find out what happens.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes. Welcome to Chicago.

In the southwest, California, Arizona... THERE IS NO GOING BACK. THERE IS NO 30 DAY PERIOD.

Once you start the feeder process, and this is defined as attending the Feeder Seminar, there is "NO REVERSING THE PROCESS". Secondly, there is ONE OUT during the process after you complete all your paperwork and new application for feeder.

In the Southwest, if you decide before you start feeder class or after you complete feeder class that FEEDER isnt for you, you can file for a resignation from FEEDER with HR. This comes with a GIANT sacrifice.

Simply explained, once you apply with feeder and complete your processing and get accepted into feeder, your classification changes and you are now a feeder driver by classification. YOU no longer have package car seniority.

If you resign from feeder, and want to return to package in the southwest, you have to be RE-CLASSIFIED as a package driver and you would come back to package as the lowest man in the center.

YOU VACATE ALL CENTER SENIORITY. This is in our contract. (southwest package rider)

That means, you lose your route, you lose your position in picking vacations, you are the first to get layed off and you would most likely be unable to bid and win an open route.

You could have 25 years with the company but you would still be the lowest man in the center. Its a GIANT penalty for accepting the training and going back.

There are NO OTHER disqualifying reasons in our rider. If you claim a medical condition, you still are subject to the terms of the rider.

Now, HR is making all potential drivers looking into feeder sign a document outlining this process and drivers at that point are weeding themselves out.

UPS just started training new feeder drivers last week and the first 28 guys on the list PASSED because of this rule.

TOS.

I thought you had a strong local?

It depends on your local rider/supplement, but to the best of my knowledge if you don't have your 30 days in then you should be able to self disqualify. Now that could mean a longer waiting period to get back into feeders. I was told by a Chicago driver that if someone self disqualifies then they have to wait 5 years to try feeders again versus just a 1 year wait if they get disqualified involuntarily. I would brush up on your local language regarding feeder disqualifying before making the decision if I were you.

I've never heard the 5 year rule. Right now they're so desperate I think they'd be eligible again after 1 year just to have another potential live-body.