Bid back to package from feeder?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Like you are doing now with that post? Why don't YOU mind your own business?

I offered to help a fellow brother out with a question he had; a foreign concept to you, I know.

I am sure his local has knowledgeable people who can answer their own questions or know who to call to get them answered. They don't need someone like yourself offering to help.

GrayGhost

Why can't people from the extended centers around Whites Creek (Including Massman) bid into feeders and package in other buildings like it's done in some areas of the country? It sounds like Whites Creek really could use the help. I'm in one of those extended centers and we've been hearing that Whites Creek is so desperate for feeder drivers that low seniority package drivers and part-timers with as little as two years are going into feeders there but it's still not enough so some of the work is being sub-contracted. Plus, there have been quite a few disqualifications too from what we are hearing. Now is the perfect time to allow the rest of us in. I wish we were all on one combined seniority list. It seems to work in other areas. Why not local 480? I mean really.....why subcontract when there is more than a few people in all of these extended centers that would love to go into feeders.

In 1986 when Whites Creek opened most everyone was forced to that building from Massman. UPS then started a new package operation at Massman and started hiring people full time to package who had only been with the company a couple of years. The people that got forced to Whites Creek had to wait 10-12 years for a package job. People from Massman were allowed to bid to Whites Creek feeders before some of these people that were forced to Whites Creek ever even got to package. I was forced. There are people that were hired after me that are 80 spots ahead of me on the feeder seniority list. A grievance was filed and won that locked the Massman as well as the Franklin center people out.
Lendon has said that after the next bid list which includes part-timers has been exhausted that they are going to open it up to the surrounding centers. We will see. I would rather them open it up than see all the contractors that have been on our yard lately.

Overpaid Union Thug

In 1986 when Whites Creek opened most everyone was forced to that building from Massman. UPS then started a new package operation at Massman and started hiring people full time to package who had only been with the company a couple of years. The people that got forced to Whites Creek had to wait 10-12 years for a package job. People from Massman were allowed to bid to Whites Creek feeders before some of these people that were forced to Whites Creek ever even got to package. I was forced. There are people that were hired after me that are 80 spots ahead of me on the feeder seniority list. A grievance was filed and won that locked the Massman as well as the Franklin center people out.
Lendon has said that after the next bid list which includes part-timers has been exhausted that they are going to open it up to the surrounding centers. We will see. I would rather them open it up than see all the contractors that have been on our yard lately.

Interesting. I got the quick and abbreviated version at the meeting I went to last year. Sounds like a combined seniority list for the whole local would have helped stopped that mess in 1986. It seems to work in other areas. It really needs to be applied to local 480 for all full-time jobs.There are other reasons why certain extended centers in 480 are frustrated about being locked out but that is another discussion. But regardless of one's opinion on that I'm like you, and hopefully anyone else, and would much rather see someone from an extended center (or vice versa) come in instead of the work being subtracted.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
I guess that's the answer you were looking for...now, I can just badger Lendon about when I can get my Teamster branded Tennessee license plate.

gorilla75jdw

As for Local 480 , as a member of this local I do agree that after all seniority list are exhausted within the White's Creek facility , then we pull from the extended centers . As for subcontracting the work , I feel as if the company does this to bid Teamster against Teamster as it is proving to be done right here on this thread . Lord knows we at Whites Creek are collectively recording each Shiney wheel that enters and exits through our gates every day . I hate it , we hate it and through our Unity it will be righted , but trying to undo the past has to be carefully done as I was one of the part timers in the early nineties who got passed up for full time jobs in package and feeders from folks who were from extended centers who had 5 to 10 years less seniority than I did . My first opportunity to go full time was when I was 31 (in package) , had I been given that opportunity at 21 ( I started with the company at age 17) I would have had 10 years of full time seniority . We have to do this the right way . Please entertain us with your opinions as we are listening .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I guess that's the answer you were looking for...now, I can just badger Lendon about when I can get my Teamster branded Tennessee license plate.

That exists? I'd like to see what that looks like.
As for Local 480 , as a member of this local I do agree that after all seniority list are exhausted within the White's Creek facility , then we pull from the extended centers . As for subcontracting the work , I feel as if the company does this to bid Teamster against Teamster as it is proving to be done right here on this thread . Lord knows we at Whites Creek are collectively recording each Shiney wheel that enters and exits through our gates every day . I hate it , we hate it and through our Unity it will be righted , but trying to undo the past has to be carefully done as I was one of the part timers in the early nineties who got passed up for full time jobs in package and feeders from folks who were from extended centers who had 5 to 10 years less seniority than I did . My first opportunity to go full time was when I was 31 (in package) , had I been given that opportunity at 21 ( I started with the company at age 17) I would have had 10 years of full time seniority . We have to do this the right way . Please entertain us with your opinions as we are listening .

Sent using BrownCafe App

How did you get passed up by people in extended centers with less seniority than you? That is messed up. Shouldn't it have been based on company seniority? The more I hear about what went down in Nashville in 1986 the more I am thinking that it was done totally incorrectly. I wouldn't have a problem getting outbid by people from another building in the local as long as they have more company seniority than me. Or maybe classification seniority? There are probably lots of different ways to approach this issue but it doesn't seem fair the way it is now. And us extended centers routinely see Whites Creek feeders making pickups in our areas. If that can't be corrected than that is just one more reason for us extended centers to be allowed in. Lets make it fair and open the door for both feeders and package. But that door would swing both ways of course. I can see both sides of this issue and why both would argue for or against a combined seniority list for the whole local. There has to be a way to make it work fairly for everyone.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
That exists? I'd like to see what that looks like.

Sadly, no they don't exist. Local 480 worked hard to get it approved by the Tennessee Legislature only for it to get held up by bureaucratic red tape. They looked pretty cool as well.

The idea was the money collected from the tags was to go into a Teamster disaster fund open to any Teamster in the state that had a need.

The University of Alabama can get a tag in Tennessee but us working Teamsters aren't worthy, I guess.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sadly, no they don't exist. Local 480 worked hard to get it approved by the Tennessee Legislature only for it to get held up by bureaucratic red tape. They looked pretty cool as well.

The idea was the money collected from the tags was to go into a Teamster disaster fund open to any Teamster in the state that had a need.

The University of Alabama can get a tag in Tennessee but us working Teamsters aren't worthy, I guess.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I've seen lots of out of state colleges on our plates. What a shame.

Overpaid Union Thug

Will that be based on company seniority or full-time seniority?

gorilla75jdw

I got passed up by people from extended centers because they were Full time and their full time seniority trumped my company seniority .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I got passed up by people from extended centers because they were Full time and their full time seniority trumped my company seniority .

Sent using BrownCafe App
That sucks. If our local had a combined seniority list back then that wouldn't have happened. Package jobs would have been open across the local and you would have went fulltime before anyone in the local with less company seniority than you. The local should have considered these situations before ever deciding to let extended centers in. And they should have considered a combined seniority list first instead of locking the extended centres out.

I'm anxious to see how allowing extended centers in after the current list is complete will pan out. I assume they'll go by fulltime seniority but on a combined seniority list for all extended centers. I hope one or two guys in my center gets in. We'll see.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Daryl Penry

I'm out of Indy and this has been the case since I went feeders in 2010. We've had several feeder bids since I have come in and most of the time we take in more off the street hires than we do from inside or other nearby buildings. Most of the package car guys don't want to give up their seniority they have in package, the vast majority of our remaining combo guys(I came from 22.3 combo) are terrified of driving period and won't come in, and a lot of our part-timers can't make the cut because they can't drive stick and or flunk their road test due to lack of tractor driving experience. I agree its odd to see so many people pass up on this great job, and I encourage everyone I know who has a chance to atleast try because I enjoy what I do everyday. In the end it comes down to each individual's desire to come in and they really have nobody to blame but themselves if they don't atleast try and someone with less seniority gets in over them.

BTW, hows that new division manager working out for you? ;)
Hey
I'm out of Indy and this has been the case since I went feeders in 2010. We've had several feeder bids since I have come in and most of the time we take in more off the street hires than we do from inside or other nearby buildings. Most of the package car guys don't want to give up their seniority they have in package, the vast majority of our remaining combo guys(I came from 22.3 combo) are terrified of driving period and won't come in, and a lot of our part-timers can't make the cut because they can't drive stick and or flunk their road test due to lack of tractor driving experience. I agree its odd to see so many people pass up on this great job, and I encourage everyone I know who has a chance to atleast try because I enjoy what I do everyday. In the end it comes down to each individual's desire to come in and they really have nobody to blame but themselves if they don't atleast try and someone with less seniority gets in over them.

BTW, hows that new division manager working out for you? ;)