Bid question

Hypothetical- there is a full-time permanent package car position up for bid. I am a full-time feeder and sign the list. I am the lowest senior person and the only FT on that list, and the only one with a cdl.

Who wins this bid?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hypothetical- there is a full-time permanent package car position up for bid. I am a full-time feeder and sign the list. I am the lowest senior person and the only FT on that list, and the only one with a cdl.

Who wins this bid?
Most supplements have classification. It would first go the highest senior bidding package car driver. If no takers, it would then open up to the entire building full time employees. If no takers, it would then be open to part timers unless the company decides to fill it off the street.

Even if a higher seniority part timer is on the list, you get it because you are the highest senior full timer to bid. CDL does not come into play.

Overpaid Union Thug

Most supplements have classification. It would first go the highest senior bidding package car driver. If no takers, it would then open up to the entire building full time employees. If no takers, it would then be open to part timers unless the company decides to fill it off the street.

Even if a higher seniority part timer is on the list, you get it because you are the highest senior full timer to bid. CDL does not come into play.
Sounds like he's talking about a new full-time position and not a new or vacated route. He didn't really specify though. If so then shouldnt he win the bid?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sounds like he's talking about a new full-time position and not a new or vacated route. He didn't really specify though. If so then shouldnt he win the bid?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Even if it is new job, it still goes to classification first. But yes, in his case, it sounded like no package driver wanted it. Him then being the highest senior full time employee, once opened up to the building, he wins the bid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there a separate seniority list for package and feeder in your building? If not, you would get the bid, unless, as Hondo pointed out, you have time left on your commitment to feeders.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What if the hypothetical was CDL-trained by UPS & is still 'bound' to feeder commitment (2 years?)?
Does not matter. You just need to keep your feeder qualifications for those 2 years. You can bid packages. It's just that if they need you in feeders, they can pull you off your bid package route and make you run feeders until they don't need you anymore and then you go back to your bid package job. Could be on a week by week basis or for months at a time.

Overpaid Union Thug

Even if it is new job, it still goes to classification first. But yes, in his case, it sounded like no package driver wanted it. Him then being the highest senior full time employee, once opened up to the building, he wins the bid.
If it's a new full-time position and not a vacated position then a full-time package driver wouldn't bid on it anyway because they are already full-time. That means he is bidding against part-timers (and potentially other full-timers and would win otherwise right? I don't have my little black book in hand.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If it's a new full-time position and not a vacated position then a full-time package driver wouldn't bid on it anyway because they are already full-time. That means he is bidding against part-timers (and potentially other full-timers and doing win otherwise right? I don't have my little black book in hand.

Sent using BrownCafe App
If a package job is created due to a new job or if it is open due to being vacated, either way, package classification gets first crack at it. Even a package driver that currently holds a bid can bid on this new job and make a change. Then his old bid would be open and put up for bid.

According to the OP, no package driver bid on it. Now he is bidding against other full time employees. The highest senior full time employee will win the bid. In this case, he was the only FT employee to bid. So he wins it. If he did not bid, and no other FT employees bid on it, it then gets opened to part time employees. Unless they fill it from the street before opening to the building or part timers. They can do this as long as they are meeting their ratio. In the Central, it is 6 for 1.

Overpaid Union Thug

Ugh.

Read your contract and supplements.
They are like Bibles and aren't always crystal clear. And even when they are there is still allot of holes and room for interpretation on some issues. And thats where "local practice" comes into play and sometimes it's regional, local, or only by center/building.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

If a package job is created due to a new job or if it is open due to being vacated, either way, package classification gets first crack at it. Even a package driver that currently holds a bid can bid on this new job and make a change. Then his old bid would be open and put up for bid.

According to the OP, no package driver bid on it. Now he is bidding against other full time employees. The highest senior full time employee will win the bid. In this case, he was the only FT employee to bid. So he wins it. If he did not bid, and no other FT employees bid on it, it then gets opened to part time employees. Unless they fill it from the street before opening to the building or part timers. They can do this as long as they are meeting their ratio. In the Central, it is 6 for 1.

So, you are saying that a current full-time package driver that has a bid route can bid on a new full-time package position? That's odd because usually the winning bidder would end up being an unassigned full-time driver and normally comes from the part-time to full-time pool bid. I know that it's possible to bid out of another full-time classification into package. Or even back into it for some people that have been in package before. What I'm confused about is this.....usually a new permanent full-time package position is added because the center needs another driver to cover vacations and overflow. If someone is already a full-time driver and can bid on a new full-time position to come off their bid route then how will the need for an additional driver be met? Sure they'll rebid the route that was just vacated but where will the additional driver (which was the purpose for the bid) come from? I've never seen a full-timer driver sign a bid for a new full-time package position. And most people here follow the rule "sign every bid." You see where I'm going with this? I will be the first to admit that its highly possible that I'm just overthinking this and am confused as a result. LOL

Last edited:
Should have specified better, but I intended for it to be a brand new fulltime positition and I was the only ft employee to Bid on it

Wasn't sure if it would go to highest building seniority or highest ft then pt. Good info

So, you are saying that a current full-time package driver that has a bid route can bid on a new full-time package position? That's odd because usually the winning bidder would end up being an unassigned full-time driver and normally comes from the part-time to full-time pool bid. I know that it's possible to bid out of another full-time classification into package. Or even back into it for some people that have been in package before. What I'm confused about is this.....usually a new permanent full-time package position is added because the center needs another driver to cover vacations and overflow. If someone is already a full-time driver and can bid on a new full-time position to come off their bid route then how will the need for an additional driver be met? Sure they'll rebid the route that was just vacated but where will the additional driver (which was the purpose for the bid) come from? I've never seen a full-timer driver sign a bid for a new full-time package position. And most people here follow the rule "sign every bid." You see where I'm going with this? I will be the first to admit that its highly possible that I'm just overthinking this and am confused as a result. LOL

If a driver bid on that new job, wouldn't they then just post his old route and that get filled by a new driver? That's how I've seen it done in previous jobs...seems like they would just go down the line til it got filled..

Overpaid Union Thug

If a driver bid on that new job, wouldn't they then just post his old route and that get filled by a new driver? That's how I've seen it done in previous jobs...seems like they would just go down the line til it got filled..

No they'd have to rebid his route. What I'm saying is that there wouldn't be a new driver because the position would have been filled by someone who is already a driver. LOL! I guess this is just strange to me because in my little extended center no full-timer drive has EVER signed a bid sheet for a new package position. In fact....it would be considered silly here. No feeder driver has ever signed a bid sheet for a new package position either. I'm not even sure they can in my building because we only have one feeder driver and once that position (which is rarely vacated) is filled the feeder driver technically becomes part of the hub's feeder department and can't bid back into our building.

No they'd have to rebid his route. What I'm saying is that there wouldn't be a new driver because the position would have been filled by someone who is already a driver. LOL! I guess this is just strange to me because in my little extended center no full-timer drive has EVER signed a bid sheet for a new package position. In fact....it would be considered silly here. No feeder driver has ever signed a bid sheet for a new package position either. I'm not even sure they can in my building because we only have one feeder driver and once that position (which is rarely vacated) is filled the feeder driver technically becomes part of the hub's feeder department and can't bid back into our building.

That's what I meant by post....just rebidding his old route..

I guess if the new bid was in an area a current driver wanted itd make sense...

I've been exploring the possibility of going into package from feeders..I know people think that's crazy but I originally wanted to go into that rather than feeder. Feeders was the quickest way to get my foot in the door fulltime. I don't see myself doing feeders type work in the long run..