Bid Route Cut

brownmvp

Im a Lower seniority driver with bid route that supposedly gets cut quite often in the summer.. My question is if my Bid route is cut, do i have the option to go home before a higher seniority driver who's bid route is in that day? Southern Region

badpal

Have any of you other old timers seen the change in your center the last 10 years that I have ? Now people argue on who gets to go home, not for the right too work. We got quite a few that raise cain if they got to work 5 days a week.

clean hairy

Southern Region, time off is highest Seniority order to lowest.
When extra work is available, offered by highest Seniority first.
Again, this in the Southern Region.

Delivery!!!

Have any of you other old timers seen the change in your center the last 10 years that I have ? Now people argue on who gets to go home, not for the right too work. We got quite a few that raise cain if they got to work 5 days a week.
I'm a new guy and will take days off all the time. I prefer to beat up my body for $35/hr not the $19/hr I'm at now. All the old timers on here say the new guys will never make it 30 years with how the job is now. I'm just trying to play it smart.

ChicagosPrimeMinister

What rhmyes with UPS?
Im a Lower seniority driver with bid route that supposedly gets cut quite often in the summer.. My question is if my Bid route is cut, do i have the option to go home before a higher seniority driver who's bid route is in that day? Southern Region
As soon as 8:40 hit and I don't get a route to cover I'm gone bro

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
With the workload now guys will be lucky to make it 20 years let alone 35-40 they need to before retiring.

union4life

It has been a past practice when a bid route is taken out, the bid driver has the option to work or not. It is not considered "time off" but rather a "lay off".

Yes, in the southern supplement, time off is offered in seniority order.

He is a bid driver, not a swing/cover driver. He shows up to work and has a right to 8 hrs. If he chooses to go home instead, he won't be to grieve for his 8. If he wants his 8 he needs to make certain management and steward are aware he is there to work so the newly created "time off" can be offered to drivers in seniority order.

The exception would be if the route being busted is a training route where the bid driver knows he may have to swing from time to time.

This is just the common practice I have seen.

Indecisi0n

I'm a new guy and will take days off all the time. I prefer to beat up my body for $35/hr not the $19/hr I'm at now. All the old timers on here say the new guys will never make it 30 years with how the job is now. I'm just trying to play it smart.
How does the pay rate have anything to do with how long your body will last ?

GenericUsername

What he's saying is that he hasn't made it to top pay yet. He can get by financially going home often, yet when he is at the max pay, he'll fight for the hours to stay and work whereas right now he's making almost $20 an hour and doesn't see it to be worth it to fight to work. In his view, he can still gain seniority and max pay eventually while doing just the bare minimum to get by financially, then when he's able to be max pay, he'll just work daily to make the money.

ManInBrown

How does the pay rate have anything to do with how long your body will last ?
I completely agree with him. It's actually a very smart move. He doesn't want to beat his body up for less than top pay. Go home now while in progression when he can. We all had to go thru progression obviously, but when you think about it, it's not worth beating your body up for less than full rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I completely agree with him. It's actually a very smart move. He doesn't want to beat his body up for less than top pay. Go home now while in progression when he can. We all had to go thru progression obviously, but when you think about it, it's not worth beating your body up for less than full rate.

Indecision is right (I never thought I would say that)-----hourly rate should have nothing to do with how you do your job.

moldsporh

Yup.

Used to be if there were cover drivers available they gave them a map.

Now it's all about area knowledge.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was dumped cold on every route I learned in the center. After a few years, I knew most of them. Sink or swim!

ArcherUTR

Indecision is right (I never thought I would say that)-----hourly rate should have nothing to do with how you do your job.
And when he's at home, it has nothing to do with how he does his job either. He may be a completely bad ass driver when working.

But I doubt it with the way guys are trained in my center.