bidding off feeders

barnyard

KTM rider
I would say used to know. Now the newer sups are all DTS trained. While they are good at explaining the theory they lack real world experience until they get enough hours on the street teaching others. Even then most go a few years before they can even compare to the skill level of an average rookie feeder driver. More often than not the senior feeder drivers fill in the holes in the training.

Both of my training supes came from feeders. One was a driver for 15ish years, the other for 5. My center manager also came from feeders and did a ride along while I was doing some daytime pickups.

We used to have high seniority guys do the productive training. I can see where that would be great if the guy was a good teacher, the problem is that long seniority does not automatically mean good teacher.

All the sups I trained with were former drivers and even then I still learned a bunch from other drivers. Now the sups will say "Go ask the drivers what you need to know". On one hand I want to tell them to do a better job but on the other hand you can't leave another driver hang for something a sup will never know.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All the sups I trained with were former drivers and even then I still learned a bunch from other drivers. Now the sups will say "Go ask the drivers what you need to know". On one hand I want to tell them to do a better job but on the other hand you can't leave another driver hang for something a sup will never know.

Even if it is safety related?

Even if it is safety related?

If anything a DTS sup should train a new driver it should be the safety stuff first and foremost and yes there's stuff they don't know.
By "do a better job" I mean the sups at training. Our sups aren't bad guys but DTS can't teach the teachers something one does not know themself.

I never let a driver hang,especially the safety stuff.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Having a CDL before going to feeder school is no guarantee.... the company still has the right to qualify you.... or not.

Does your supplement say something different ?

-Bug-
I don't think so. I don't know much about feeders and the rules. My BA told me 'I had to have it' to even think about putting my name on the list for that job.
I heard that from the center manager. Even though it might not be he rule, doesn't change it might be the way it's done here. What is the rule, BUG? Why don't you PM me that and your contact info, so in case I am told differently, I can call you right up to counter what I am being told.
As far as qualifying, if I pass all of their tests, I will qualify.

I don't think so. I don't know much about feeders and the rules. My BA told me 'I had to have it' to even think about putting my name on the list for that job.
I heard that from the center manager. Even though it might not be he rule, doesn't change it might be the way it's done here. What is the rule, BUG? Why don't you PM me that and your contact info, so in case I am told differently, I can call you right up to counter what I am being told.
As far as qualifying, if I pass all of their tests, I will qualify.

Are you sure it wasn't a CDL permit and not the actual license?

menotyou

bella amicizia
You might be right. I have no clue. I know that is what the school is for. But, I believe that they take you to the road test part, also. So, I think I would end up with the license. I will have to call the school in the morning to make sure what they do.

barnyard

KTM rider

I had to have a temp permit before I started feeder school. You do not need to go to school for that, just go to the DMV and pass the written test. I picked up the book the week before and read through it. All the questions on the test are in the book, piece of cake.

edited to add.... I did not even think about taking my temp test until my feeder school had an actual start date.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Really???? Holy Cramoly!!!! We had a DM of feeders who would come up regularly while training and he would take us out in the yard to let us drive them around/test out backing up to the doors. It was cool. He is a nice guy and I believe he is still there. We got along very well.

Thanks! I will ask.

lazydriver

It has been awhile since I posted anything. I bidded into feeders more than 21yrs ago from an outlying center without feeder runs into the main feeder hub 20 miles away. The first 2 years as a qualified driver I still bidded a package run back in my outlying center. They covered my package run with a cover driver and if I was sent back to package because of no work in feeders I would call up my center and say I was going to show up for package. I can't go back, they would have to train me how to use diad. We were still on paper sheet writing stops. It was 5 years before I got a permanent feeder bid. If I disqualify myself now I am not allowed to go back to my original outlying center. I will have to bump a junior delivery driver in one of the many other delivery centers at the feeder hub.
Some years ago we had a problem with the feeder sups who only had DTS training and no on road experience. Most of the old time sups retired or took on the early buyouts. We had at one time only one sup who was a former feeder driver. We tried driver trainers for awhile, but you end up pulling that driver off his run to train someone and using up another feeder driver to cover his run. You end up running out of drivers when needed.

ryan74701

I start feeder school next week, going to get my cdl permit this week, probably going to be the youngest feeder driver in the district (Northern Plains District)

menotyou

bella amicizia
I didn't even know there was a feeder school. I kinda figured there was, as there is a driver school. A tidbit left out of my extended conversation with my BA. I will be going to the DMV today to ask how I get a CDL permit. I am in NYS, so I guess any feeder drivers from this district would know the rules/games they play here.

I appreciate any and all info you guys/gals have to offer. Tips of any kind are graciously accepted. Any info is helpful cuz I am kinda flying blind here.

I wouldn't spend my own money on an outside service to get my CDL for one. Whatever the school may teach you will be "poo-poo'd" by UPS for not being the UPS way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of our runner/gunners took the written test and passed (barely) the road test for his CDL permit. He will be sent to school if and when he secures a feeder bid.

I also would not spend my own money to get my CDL.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I appreciate both of your input. I will get the permit on my own, and worry about getting back.

Since Dave is from my district, I can use this example to our BA if I ever need to. Thank you, Cach, and thank you Upstate. That was nice of you.

old levi's

blank space
I wouldn't spend my own money on an outside service to get my CDL for one. Whatever the school may teach you will be "poo-poo'd" by UPS for not being the UPS way.

Exactly. You would have to un-learn a lot of what the private school had taught, making it a waste of time and money and terribly frustrating. If this is the path you choose, let UPS do the training!

2Slow

Here in Indiana you are allowed to bid back into delivery, but I've never heard of anyone doing so here. We have a large operation and day jobs are possible (with seniority).

As to some other questions that have been raised: there is no official benefit to having your CDL since you will go through a training school either way. But... A lot of people fail our Feeder school. More practice may help a lot to get through it. Ymmv