"Bid's Gone Sour"

over9five

Staff member
...or so I heard from an inside management person.

It seems a lot of Package drivers (and 1 Feeder driver) have bid inside jobs. And now that they've reached the bottom inside seniority people, many are now forced into driving jobs that they do not want.

Forced into driving? Remember when driving for UPS was a much coveted, hard to get job that you had to wait years for? What has happened?

And why are all these experienced drivers taking a massive pay cut to get out of driving?

What is going on?
Comments?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
...or so I heard from an inside management person.

It seems a lot of Package drivers (and 1 Feeder driver) have bid inside jobs. And now that they've reached the bottom inside seniority people, many are now forced into driving jobs that they do not want.

Forced into driving? Remember when driving for UPS was a much coveted, hard to get job that you had to wait years for? What has happened?

And why are all these experienced drivers taking a massive pay cut to get out of driving?

What is going on?
Comments?
I warned this would happen months ago. :D
You know the answer to the bottom part - because the jobs suck, period. especially depending upon which center.
Also , did my call regarding Lawrence ctr drivers bidding out hold any truth? I've been away this week.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
The same thing is going on in my local, Drivers just don’t want to deal with all the bull**** anymore, They would rather get the pay cut for there finale years and you get the same pension credit with out the headache. A driver with 20 plus years bid inside job and his rte is going to a guy with 2 years seniority, My-oh-my, have times changed.

ups79

I don't know whether it has changed or not, but when those jobs were offered, full time drivers could not bid or hold those jobs. Can full time drivers now in local 710 hold those jobs that are inside.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Driver . . . did you really need to ask this question? :funny: PACKAGE CAR SUCKS. PERIOD.

This trend that your'e seeing started four or five years ago at my building. Package car drivers bidding to vacant 22.3 jobs to get out of what is most definatley the WORST job UPS has to offer to its employees. Who cares about any paycut( I accepted my paycut when I went to 22.3 with open arms ).

The only thing you can say to any part timer that gets forced into PC at your building is " welcome to the seniority list!" Seniority works both ways- top guy bids the job or the bottom guy gets bid by the job:peaceful:

Overpaid Union Thug

To me it seems that 22.3s are worse than package car driving. Those jobs are getting eliminated and "moved" like crazy. Why would anyone in their right mind move to a job like that?

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I guess it all depends on the working enviroment. Here, 22.3 jobs are a death knell, go no place fast job. Everybody wants that full time delivery job, with the top pay and plenty of hours

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building, if we had regular bids, the top guys would do 22.3s in a heartbeat. Working just 40 hours a week seems kind of nice to me.

brownelf

We've had every full-time inside job bid taken by a package car driver in my building (hub size) for the past 3-4yrs. We see many of them walking in as we walk out and none of them regret it. Being in packagecar is not the job it once was...

Dustyroads

The 22.3 jobs in our center are staffed with very senior ex-package car drivers, a couple very senior part timers, an ex-feeder driver, and only one with little seniority. I think they all like their jobs. They are all really good at them. In our building, their jobs are really stable, we need them all. I would never do it, because of the hours, all of the jobs are at night. I sleep better at night.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We had two 22.3's go into full time driving last year. I'm not sure if the jobs they left we're filled. We've never had a driver move inside, not sure if they can.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Drivers bodies are breaking down, Long hours are catching up, 22.3 pay rate at the end of the contract willl be around $27 an hour so not much of a reduction in pay overall compared to $29 now, 8 hours and out, spend more time with family, bonus slowly being elimnated, plus management that cannot make any decisions. These are just some of the reasons why drivers are taking 22.3 jobs.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
word is that because so many 22.3s are now being forced into driving package cars jobs, some guys from corporate will be overseeing the qualification of these "new" drivers; road tests, driver schools.
Our bid is so screwed up that many "mistakes" have resulted; jobs going to lower seniority bidders, 22.3 jobs not listed anywhere, terminated employees listed as bid winners, some names kept shifting between different buildings with each update, some names appearing to be awarded multiply bids.
What really screwed this bid is the fact that they only posted enough jobs to match the number of possible bidders; no unfilled jobs . So many lower bidders were informed that their selection was reduced to only what mgt said was open; driving package cars.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our 22.3's are being eliminated. My sup is scrambling to figure out how to get our air back to the ctr so it can go out. Right now the plan is to lighten up one rte so that the air can be brought in. Unfortunately this means the other rtes get dumped on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When our 22.3 air driver has the day off or is on vacation my preloader fills in for him.

I can certainly understand a senior driver who will retire before the next bid sheets are posted bidding a 22.3 to finish out his career but I wonder what impact, if any, it would have on his pension. I understand that the company continues to make the same contribution to his H/W fund but I always thought that our monthly pension amount was based upon our earnings during the last 5 years. Someone please correct me on this if I am wrong.

browniehound

I got bumped this bid by a guy from feeders. I don't care, I found another route in PACKAGE. I don't understand how someone can come back to package from feeders? They go from driving a trailer truck around to humping and dumping packages. We are talking easy street to 190 residential stops or 500 pieces of bulk with 100 of those pieces needed to moved with the two-wheeler.

I say this because I LOATHE the two-wheeler! Is there anything worse at UPS? You have to drag it out and over packages and manuever it over the stick shift. Then you must open the toungue that never stays opens so you must already have a package ready to throw on to keep the toungue open. Next, you have to load 12 packages on this thing in an unsafe position. Then, you have to wheel the thing somewhere, scan all the packages and unload them in a tiny closet again in an unsafe(can't get the packages in your power zone) position.

Its got to be more than this. What am I missing here? Why would anyone ever come back to the ball-busting work of package if they have a class-A license?

705red

Browncafe Steward
When our 22.3 air driver has the day off or is on vacation my preloader fills in for him.

I can certainly understand a senior driver who will retire before the next bid sheets are posted bidding a 22.3 to finish out his career but I wonder what impact, if any, it would have on his pension. I understand that the company continues to make the same contribution to his H/W fund but I always thought that our monthly pension amount was based upon our earnings during the last 5 years. Someone please correct me on this if I am wrong.
Upstate here all full timers receive the same contriubutions as each othe. Thats why alot of people bid 22.3 near the end of their career.

I have a question on how that bidding works. What happens if they get sown to the bottom 10 people and all that is open is a driving job and they happen to be non DOT diabetics, meaning they cannot drive a commercial vehicle?

If you fail the road test, are you still guaranteed 40 hours a week?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Upstate here all full timers receive the same contriubutions as each othe. Thats why alot of people bid 22.3 near the end of their career.

I have a question on how that bidding works. What happens if they get sown to the bottom 10 people and all that is open is a driving job and they happen to be non DOT diabetics, meaning they cannot drive a commercial vehicle?

If you fail the road test, are you still guaranteed 40 hours a week?
funny thing is for anyone not qualified to drive; dui or medical, they always manage to find an inside job for them , we have a full time preload.
This bid we had some feeders drop down to package along with many package driver drop down to 22.3 ( fully knowing that they had to take a paycut ).
Given the daily abuse many package drivers have to endure , taking a 22.3 is like getting a paid vacation.