Big Brown - The Untold Story of UPS

canon

they sent all their employees a nice big hardbound book containing the history of the company. It was very interesting even for a non-employee. I wonder if UPS plans on doing something like this.

We got the 100 year pin. And the weekend off.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
From the author of Big Brown:

For those of you who have been asking, my UPS book Big Brown is now out and available at most major outlets.(Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon, etc.). My publisher is discouraging me from handling any for resell, but I will be happy to sign any you might buy. I will be traveling, and in March and April, primarily around Southern California. (See early schedule).

Greg Niemann Book Signings

March 2 --- Live radio interview, Dallas/Houston stations
March 11 --- Barnes & Noble, Palm Desert 1 p.m.
March 16 --- Barnes & Noble, Chula Vista, 7 p.m.
March 23 --- Barnes & Noble, Aliso Viejo, 6 p.m.
March 24 --- Barnes & Noble, Irvine Spectrum, 2 p.m.
March 28 --- Peppertree Bookstore, La Quinta, 7 p.m.
April 7 --- Borders, Rancho Mirage, 1 p.m.
April 21 --- Barnes & Noble, La Mesa (San Diego), 2 p.m.
April 22 --- Borders, Carmel Mountain San Diego, 1 p.m.
April 30 --- Writers Conference (OWAC), Bishop
May 5 --- Baja Book Festival, Pyramid Resort, Noon
August 25 --- Barnes & Noble, Pacific Place (Seattle -- Weekend of UPS 100th)

The book is dedicated to UPSers everywhere, past, present, and future, so I hope you enjoy it. Early reviews have been favorable, and most gratifying to me are those from UPSers. You can e-mail me for more information about a particular signing, or for overall info, check my website: www.gregniemann.com.

Looking forward to seeing you. Greg

Overpaid Union Thug

I just picked mine up today (at the Post Office because the mail man was too lazy to actually attempt delivery and stuck his "get out of delivering free card" in my mail box. I've already read 3/4 of it. It's pretty good so far. I expect to finish it tonight or tomorrow then I'll beginning reading "Changing How the World Does Business", which is a book about FedEx. I'm anxious to see what is said about UPS in that one.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hubby & I went to the book signing at Aliso Viejo tonight. What a pleasant visit we had with Greg Niemann, the author. I really expected to see more UPS'ers there.

Greg seems very excited about his book and upsoming signings and TV appearances. He will be on CNBC as part of a bigger UPS story. No date yet, but I plan to keep my eyes peeled for this one.

He and his wife do a lot of travelling (worldwide), but he resides in the Palm Springs area. It was a fun visit and fun for hubby to reminisce about the old days.

Hubby was a Big Idea editor in Salt Lake and Greg was the Regional Big Idea Editor at that time.

Overpaid Union Thug

I thought the book was pretty good. I wish it would have touched more on the strike and some other things but overall I liked it. I thought it was going to be nothing more than a bathroom reader but it ended up being pretty good.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Just got my copy on Friday. I haven't gotten into very far, but it seems like; just from what i've read so far (very little), the author looks at the whole thing through rose colored glasses. The thing that miffed me was how he stated something to the effect of, UPS has tons of ergonomical engineers working tirelessly to help make a UPSers job easier, and less emotionally and physically challenging. All I can say is, those guys must've been on vacation when the P500 made it on the scene. I'm 6'7". Me and the widow-maker (P500)not sucha good combo. I think the seats slide back a generous half inch. Ergonomics at work for all of us.