Big Changes Ahead in TSG

Who is Arence and Jack cry baby looser? Feel free to leave now that your raise is gone, sissy.

Simcoe919a, No wonder North Jersey was consolidated. Quite few people like you who do not know all the facts can coward in here and say ridiculous things. NOJ could have had people on the impacted list. They did not because mgmt like Arence and Jack have done a good job putting people in the right places or made the right moves. As techs, we have to be fair and truthful as well.

I am pissed and ready to throw up. For example, if you were gonna get a $200 dollar raise and will work for 15 more years, this means about $60,000 loss in wages. It also pisses me off that I worked my tail off this year to be told a month before raises that we will not get one. For all who are trying to sugar coat this, stop this nonsense and give me a break. I think it stinks and unless I see Union employees giving up their raises this year, then it will prove that top mgmt is spineless and completely unfair to the poor Mgmt folks who have gotten screwed of so much over the past 10 years...Talk about stock elimination for 09 means I am gone. Maybe not immediately but as soon as the economy improves... That's what kept me around and them messing with raises, stock and benfits will just do it for me....they can have all the C & D players they want. They will not have me....

Disagree with you BrownTech99, the man promoted about 25 people in our region and 3 in our district. The company is cutting back and so is TSG. Yet he still promoted people all the way through..You know that the districts goals are cut every year from corporate and the regions have to comply.

As far as careers, I see that all good Mgmt people in TSG in our district are still around. The lazy ones are gone.

Remember that like us techs, some Mgmt people appear solid but they might fool you and that is why they are not around...

If, in fact, he did promote these people, it was to advance his region on the BSC. I have seen this before from Jacks wife. The lady he promoted to TSG manager and then left his family for and married her. You are lucky to have them both....

nedroc

P-Man...
You may think the reduced cost in TSG is worth the inconvience, but our customers do not. Here's a true story. Management has prevented us in TSG from visiting customer for Worldship issues over the past year which has lead to customer having to work on their own issues with our software. One of my customers wanted TSG to upgrade their system, management said no because it would result in increase mileage, plus in managements eyes...you only need to put a disc in the machine and run the software. However, the customer HAD a highly intergrated Worldship setup on an older version of Worldship. In the managers eyes, the customer can simply put the disc in the computer and let the upgrade happen. The customer refused to do this as they are not technically inclined. As a result, the BD guy (who may i say is paid much more than myself) ran the upgrade for the customer and it loaded just fine. The problem resulted a week later. The customer had a worldship setup that was an approved setup in previous versions of our software, and it was originally setup by UPS TSG. When BD upgraded the customer, they installed the software on a server which the newer version of Worldship do not support. Yes it may work, but somebody from above said it is not supported by UPS Worldship. A week after the upgrade, the customer had a problem, they called the help desk, the help desk told them that their setup was not supported by UPS and that the helpdesk could not assist them. This customer was furious at this point. This customer was shipping over $3000 per day with UPS. Today this customer is shipping $0 per day with us. Still think the reduced cost is worth the inconvenience???

True story number 2. Customer was having worldship issues. The customer called the center looking for help. Managements only answer to this is to call the help desk. This customer refused to call the helpdesk for various reasons that i can only imagine. My experience with customers is some customers perfer to deal face to face with people, some customers have learned to expect face to face service, some people do not have time to call the helpdesk, and some customers have their backup plan setup right next to the UPS computer in the name of Fedex already. Regardless of the reason a customer doesn't call the helpdesk, do we simply say...well they can't follow the simple process of calling the helpdesk, then they don't deserve to ship with us? If they cannot or will not call the helpdesk, then their $2500 per day isn't good enough for us?

Both of these situations occurred in the past 2 months in my remote building. Both customers are shipping with Fedex today. Both of these customers are being pursued by highly paid BD folks who should be out there getting new business, instead of trying to win back old business. Had I been more accessible like i once was, we would still have that business.

It still amazes me after all of this happened, my managers still worry about the nickle and dimes they are saving by not having me drive out to a customer. I wonder how many miles i could have driven at $.50 per mile with all the money we have lost with these 2 customers alone from a small center. How many salaries could be paid each year from these 2 customers???? I have always wondered why the UPS managers lack the ability to see the "whole picture". Yeah...TSG is an expense...but look what can and does happen when you chop it down. Yeah P-Man....the cost cutting measures in TSG are worth it so you can get a fatter check. Hopefully your peripheral vision comes back to you soon and you have the ability to see the "big picture" (as you always tell the drivers. )
PKGDOG, you and I work in the same region. I know your claims are completely false and it is disheartening to see your comments. We are encouraged to use GTA to reduce miles and respond quicker to customers concerns. That is smart. We are trying to upgrade customers on old versions, 8,9,10 etc and we are visiting customers daily. You support a state where only 4 of you are there and you drive to customers every week. Why do you put these lies out there. We have the best service in the country and better than any other company. 4 hours SLA where we'r almost in the upper 90s. Have some integrity and cut this nonsense out as I see it for what it is LIES... I am hoping that others do to...

nedroc

BrownTech99, That is ridiculous and low. You should never bring people's family into a discussion like this. I am ashamed that I even had a discussoin with you. Terrible and very pathatic that you even went there. Hope you and Your family would bever have to deal with the Nonsense that you just put out there. Your accusations and low appreciation of people's family and kids speaks loudly of your ignorance and stupidity. How Lowwwwwww

jyounes

BrownTech99,

You bringing the Man's family into this is horrible. Speaks volume of your low integrity and lack of dignity. Get lost and saty lost. People like you make this place, company and this world intolerable. You think the man left family in one state and moved to another is joke and leaving his kids (if he had any) is a subject for you to speak of. How classless and punk you are..I pray for your family as ********...You owe the man and appology for your lack of honor..Pitiful you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLTSG

BrownTech99,

Man, go to hell. How stupid can you be? I can not believe your posion. that is amazing how hateful you are. Your lack of integrty as well as your hate for your job and this company drives you to bring people's kids and family into this. I am stunned. coward at best.....I know the man and he carries 1000 of times more integrity, intelligence and passion for UPS than you will ever do. I can not believe you would swoop to this barn low crappy behavior. Again, go to hell. I know he promoted about 12 people in our district and 2 of them ar managers today, BY, and TM. 8 sups and 3 Specs. All what you do is spread your posion. get LOOOOOOOSSSSSTTTT... I wish your family the best but you HEEEELLLLLLL

PS: I never post to thsi site but I felt compelled this time.

swtechie

BrownTech99,

Man, go to hell. How stupid can you be? I can not believe your posion. that is amazing how hateful you are. Your lack of integrty as well as your hate for your job and this company drives you to bring people's kids and family into this. I am stunned. coward at best.....I know the man and he carries 1000 of times more integrity, intelligence and passion for UPS than you will ever do. I can not believe you would swoop to this barn low crappy behavior. Again, go to hell. I know he promoted about 12 people in our district and 2 of them ar managers today, BY, and TM. 8 sups and 3 Specs. All what you do is spread your posion. get LOOOOOOOSSSSSTTTT... I wish your family the best but you HEEEELLLLLLL

PS: I never post to thsi site but I felt compelled this time.
FLTSG,

I agree with you. Browntech99 is a joke. ignorant at best if not an embarassment to all of us. go away...

Getting back on the subject of cuts. It is the same everywhere. it sounds same in the north, south and here in the west. our leader (Cigar Man) chopped about 4 out of 10 techs the past few years.. hardly any promotion though or movment..Dallas lost so much with the hub closure it is not even funny. Hot blooded folks form the southeast. they are supposed to be calm overthere.

Enough

I needed emergency help as you described a couple of times over the last few years. It took a few more minutes than in the past, but TSG still was able to help me. Not quite as convenient as before, but still okay.

I also noticed that since using TSG generally now takes more steps, I need to plan a little better. Again, an inconvenieces, but not a problem

I think UPS reduced something like $50M in TSG cost since the cost cutting measures came into place.

I'm a management person and a shareholder too. The reduced cost is worth the inconvenience.

P-Man

P-Man,
You endorse a double standard. Management thinks it helps the bottom line by getting rid of excess technicians and admins.

You fail to recognize the overload of management who still dont even have assignments due to the consolidations. This excess of management in many districts, costs the company much more money than the few techs and admins you are getting rid of.

The truth is management wants to point the finger at anyone they can, so they can justify their jobs by falsely axing some tech or admin. Who will be covering the permanent admin jobs or a tech when needed? The supervisors who make more money. How does that save money by replacing a lower paid person with a higher paid person? It doesnt, it just saves a job for the brotherhood of management. Many of the techs affected have more years of service than most of the newer supervisors. They worked their way up and management picks on us because they can. Techs are shareholders too, except we had to pay for ours.

As a shareholder I think the excess of management should be cut. How would that feel after devoting 10-15 years of your life here?

Do unto others.......

pretzel_man

P-Man,
You endorse a double standard. Management thinks it helps the bottom line by getting rid of excess technicians and admins.

You fail to recognize the overload of management who still dont even have assignments due to the consolidations. This excess of management in many districts, costs the company much more money than the few techs and admins you are getting rid of.

The truth is management wants to point the finger at anyone they can, so they can justify their jobs by falsely axing some tech or admin. Who will be covering the permanent admin jobs or a tech when needed? The supervisors who make more money. How does that save money by replacing a lower paid person with a higher paid person? It doesnt, it just saves a job for the brotherhood of management. Many of the techs affected have more years of service than most of the newer supervisors. They worked their way up and management picks on us because they can. Techs are shareholders too, except we had to pay for ours.

As a shareholder I think the excess of management should be cut. How would that feel after devoting 10-15 years of your life here?

Do unto others.......

There are 1400 excess management people right now. In general somewhere around 3000 leave each year (due to retirement, job change, etc.) If things go as they have in the past, it will take about a year or less to reduce the excess management through attrition.

The same was NOT true of TSG. There were more excess than attrition would reduce. Some were reassigned, some left voluntarily, some were cut.

I'm glad the management committee felt that we should let attrition handle the excess management. I think that in general management has sacrificed over the years (lack of stock growth, reduced raises, increased workload, etc.)

Of course, there are others in management who would be glad if we just lopped of the poorest performing management people and cut the excess immediately.

Sounds like your beliefs are closer to theirs than mine.

P-Man

ImpactedTSG

FLTSG,

I agree with you. Browntech99 is a joke. ignorant at best if not an embarassment to all of us. go away...

Getting back on the subject of cuts. It is the same everywhere. it sounds same in the north, south and here in the west. our leader (Cigar Man) chopped about 4 out of 10 techs the past few years.. hardly any promotion though or movment..Dallas lost so much with the hub closure it is not even funny. Hot blooded folks form the southeast. they are supposed to be calm overthere.
This post and the previous few all come from a newly registered members and all follow the same format. I think Cheryl needs to check the ip addresses to see if they are coming from the same person.

over9five

Staff member
This post and the previous few all come from a newly registered members and all follow the same format. I think Cheryl needs to check the ip addresses to see if they are coming from the same person.

Good call, Impacted.

Swtechie, Dric, FLTSG, Jyounes, and Nedroc all share an IP. (Of course, they could be several different people sharing a computer).

ImpactedTSG

Good call, Impacted.

Swtechie, Dric, FLTSG, Jyounes, and Nedroc all share an IP. (Of course, they could be several different people sharing a computer).
Based on the writing style, I would say they are all the same person. It must suck to have to go to an online message board and have conversations with yourself.

years ago I was proud doing a good tsg job.
I felt contributing to the success of the company.
Now it feels like being obsolete, replaceable.
Sooner or later (this year or next year) I am written obsolete.

I think our marketing was not good enough.
We lived in the dreamland and thought of ourselfs to be competent.
But what did others see?
Sitting around. Rebooting sometimes. Dedusting. Changing keyboards.
That things we did, that really counted, could not be seen or not be
grasped by those that now evaluate our future in the company.

Trainig a tech takes 3 weeks. Some more to do his A+.
Then you have a dedusting, rebooting clerk. But not more is needed or wanted.

I do have a little example for you:
Inside HDFS Reporting, right column GENERAL you can generate a report of
the top 30 SOSS makers. It has been noticed, that amongst those top callers
are also TSG. And TSG should not make SOSS for themselfs. That should now be
handled by management. With action plans. As that would be false statistics.
But if you had a closer look at this report, then you would see that almost all
that soss the tsg tech had written himself he did not generate himself, but he
did write something repair or obsolete and the system generated that soss in
his name. But it looks like, that nobody did notice that, yet.

I hope, sooner or later, that our work we do is looked at. If not, then good
by and good night.

nedroc

FastGeorge,
It used to be good, Ultimately the group was pretty fat and we did what we want. Most poeple in this company did not know much of what was going on and how to react when it is a technology issue. It is still these days as well but people are getting better...

As I am not TSG I cannot know the full impact the cost cuts will have on that group. What I do know is that this is getting more and more widespread. We recently lost a Tech that had been with UPS for 9 years and, as far as I know he was not offered a chance to go anywhere. Our Director and the TSG Manager told him Friday that he was being cut to "reduce cost". We still have two Tech that have been here longer but they do not know as much as the person that was let go. As a result I am having to do more and more tech support for my customers instead of making sales. I understand cut backs but we need to draw the line somewhere. When did it become better to have sales reps stop making sales in order to support TSG?

by my opinion there is no planed bottom line for reducing tsg.
As any other major player did, ups will learn it the hard way, too.
They reduce and reduce until a desaster occurs. Then they stop reducing,
assess the situation and may find out, that they reduced too much.
As usual then one is blamed for it, fired and course is changed.
The tsg task is now to either survive that or find a company that already
learned that lession.
This kind of managing has already its own name: "managing by excel sheet".

As good tsg you have no problems to find a new job.
Companies know how dependent they are on computers and
people that can manage those. But they never would say so.
We as tech people then could ask for more money.

nerrollus

It still makes me chuckle every time I hear some big wig talking about how technology is the future of UPS, went the continue down sizing TSG and making it more and more difficult to work here.

We've lost about 2/3rds of our department. We're so bare bones right now that if one tech takes a vacation we have to adjust 3 peoples schedule to cover. In some cases we have to borrow a tech from another building and pay them to live out of a motel for a week so we have coverage.

They continue to promote those crazy enough to go into management and instead of hiring compitent replacements, they're hiring people that will stay for a year or two, then promote up. We've got a couple guys right now that don't even own a home computer and got hired as TSG techs because they have a college degree and want to promote up. They just don't want tech savy people that understand the UPS technology to stick around and get too many promotions.

There are a few techs here that have been in TSG for around 8 years now and we're constantly bombarded by our management people to put our letters in. None of us are even slightly interested in promoting up because the way they treat the management people is just unacceptable for us. We all have to walk on egg shells in fear of getting laid off and replaced by some monkey with a keyboard to save some money. All the while we've got division and district managers pulling in six figure bonuses at the end of the year.... We could hire 3+ techs for that bonus alone.

Like a lot of others we're just keeping out heads down and trying to stick it out until we can find something better or finish school and start a different career. It's a damn shame too, because TSG used to be a great job and a lot of fun. Everyone was relaxed and loved their job. Problems were solved same day and everyone had plenty of work to do. Now we're all struggling to stay ahead of the work and have to worry about all the crazy reports and elements they look at every day. Starting to worry that magnafying glass I'm under is going to burn me like and ant.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We've lost about 2/3rds of our department. We're so bare bones right now that if one tech takes a vacation we have to adjust 3 peoples schedule to cover. In some cases we have to borrow a tech from another building and pay them to live out of a motel for a week so we have coverage.
That sounds like it is working. If 1 person could cover, that indicates over-staffing.

Like a lot of others we're just keeping out heads down and trying to stick it out until we can find something better or finish school and start a different career.
Nothing wrong with that.

It's a damn shame too, because TSG used to be a great job and a lot of fun.
I've never had a job that was fun...I guess that's why hey pay us.

Everyone was relaxed and loved their job. Problems were solved same day and everyone had plenty of work to do. Now we're all struggling to stay ahead of the work and ...
Welcome to the real world of UPS

I guess it's time to grow up and experience the conditions that everybody else at UPS has to live in.
Hope you enjoyed the nice ride while it lasted.

nerrollus

1) Yes one person can cover, but that doesn't mean the job is being done properly and work is being completed in a reasonable amount of time. Example: There's been a guy in the building with a crashed PC for 3 days and no one has been able to get his PC replaced and all his data recovered. why? Because the log is low priority and no one has had time to deal with it yet. That sound reasonable to you? How would you like to be the guy without a PC for 3, going on 4 days now and not have access to any of your data or email.

2) If you've never had a job that was fun, then I feel for you. I've got lots of friends/family that went to school and got their dream job and enjoy their work everyday. I don't think that's asking too much...

I guess it's time to grow up and experience the conditions that everybody else at UPS has to live in.
Hope you enjoyed the nice ride while it lasted.

cynical much?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
2) If you've never had a job that was fun, then I feel for you. Feel for me, please.

I've got lots of friends/family that went to school and got their dream job and enjoy their work everyday. I don't think that's asking too much...
Sounds good to me...anyone at UPS feel that way?

cynical much?
Quite often.
Always took pride in being skeptical but one day I woke up and realized I was cynical.

Here's one for the "Sayings book"
The worst thing about being cynical is that you are invariably right. :wink2: