Big Midwest Snowstorm

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We got hit last night with up to a foot of nice heavy snow. I could barely get through some spots with an 8 horse snow blower. We are on-call right now, told to call in at 8:15-8:30. Yuk!

iowa boy

Monster,

Here where I'm at, we are shut down for the day. No feeders were able to get back into town.

Darn it. I don't know if I can handle a day off during peak.:bigsmile2:

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Just called in. We start at 10:00. The question must be asked, do we get paid from normal start time as they are not allowed to move our start time back. I know it's an emergency situation but someone will bring it up.

ol'browneye

The storm just missed us here near St. Louis. We are getting the wind this morning though. I hope the roof stays on my old shed with these 50mph gusts!

Yesterday we had an all-day rain and temps hanging around 35. My heater stopped working for about 3 hours. Boy did that suck! Had to leave the door open to keep from fogging up and was worried about freezing rain. The only extra car we had was a rental. Luckily the temp rose towards evening and never froze. It must have been "just one of those things" as it worked fine the rest of the day and the mechanic could find nothing wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed today with these single digit wind chills!

EmerCond421

We got the Northern edge of that storm here in the Rockies, maybe 8-12 inches of snow.
Unfortunately, now it's clear and -17F. Just another fun day.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just called in. We start at 10:00. The question must be asked, do we get paid from normal start time as they are not allowed to move our start time back. I know it's an emergency situation but someone will bring it up.

Its covered in the "Act Of God" clause in the contract. God has the right to change your start time at his discression.:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
My hubby is driving our neighbors to the airport at 6 AM Thursday. They are flying to Wisconsin!! They are in for a big surprise when they get there !!!

iowa boy

My hubby is driving our neighbors to the airport at 6 AM Thursday. They are flying to Wisconsin!! They are in for a big surprise when they get there !!!

Tell them to bring lots of warm clothes. Its 5 degrees where I'm at right now and they are going farther north than I am.

Its covered in the "Act Of God" clause in the contract. God has the right to change your start time at his discression.:wink2:

Go to HR and file a compliant and also a grievance under religious discrimination. Us atheists need our money!

ol'browneye

Just an update, my heater crapped out again today at 11:30! 17 degrees and wind gusts in the 40mph range, dang it was cold! This time it did not come back on. It's in the shop now.

Dustyroads

We had eight inches of snow on Tuesday on my area, followed by 30-35 mph winds all day Wednesday, resulting in impressive drifting across all of the east-west roads in the rural areas. Wind chills were -20, actual temps never got above 10 on Wednesday. On Thursday the wind subsided, and it made it to 19 degrees, and today, Friday, it made it to 35 and melted some, although not on the gravel roads. On my area, 19 EC's on Tuesday, 29 on Wednesday, and 7 today. The gravel roads are glazed now, making the rural routes exciting. I got in over 250 miles today, and still there were places I couldn't go. Wednesday was only the third time in the last hundred years that a blizzard warning was issued for the area.

What a week!