Big news next week?

MAKAVELI

I'm smart enough to not stay in a dead end job. What's your excuse SPH?

You all complain about hours being cut, but complain when a new service is added that will give you more work. Be consistent in your griping.

Could be he just has sand in his va-jay-jay. :)
I'm going to have to take your man card away for that one. The only one who has a vagina is the one who can't say it.

bbsam

Staff member
You can take my man card as soon as you bend over and pluck it out of my clenched butt cheeks with your teeth. LOL. This isn't getting past the mods, but it still is a little funny.

MAKAVELI

You can take my man card as soon as you bend over and pluck it put of my clenched butt cheeks with your teeth. LOL. This isn't getting past the mods, but it still is a little funny.
So that's where you like to stick things I see.

hypo hanna

These timed services to date haven't hit significant volumes for any carrier from feedback I've rec'd. Customers have to know or even care about it. To me it's a lot of effort, a lot of worries for something that hasn't been a hit for either carrier yet. Maybe these are services they think they may need in the future if things like Same Day from WalMart/Amazon etc really take off, I dunno. Marketing has a job, these people have to do something, this is what they dream up. It makes some sense that there would be a need and all of that, but it's a sloooow burn.

To be honest, there could be less shipping options and not more, the consumer can adjust, for example "I'm looking at you COD". They are a pain and if you can't pay two days earlier on a CC, why can you really on COD? And time and time again, same people. Why pay an extra ~10 dollars in two days vs save that fee just using a CC? Cod was good in the 70's and 80's when there was no good way to pay company to company online. Another, there could be less package scans at your .coms, because more scans can cause more concerns to a recipient who stares to long. Package Picked up. Package In Route. Package on it's way to Final Delivery. Package Delivered. There is your data. But no, with all these city names on intermediary movements and if something looks odd... Customer service call. Does no one no good.

True wisdom from our customers. Something I've seen over and over. The vast majority of customers want a basic suite of services THEY CAN COUNT ON. There may be an oddball here and there that wants Sunday service and appointments but most do not. Tut is dead on in these thing are thought up by the marketing idiots to justify their pay checks. The problem is these extra services are never really tested, rolled out into the field with little training and never supported with enough manpower. The end result is they negatively impact the system and disrupt service on the bread and butter pkgs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
True wisdom from our customers. Something I've seen over and over. The vast majority of customers want a basic suite of services THEY CAN COUNT ON. There may be an oddball here and there that wants Sunday service and appointments but most do not. Tut is dead on in these thing are thought up by the marketing idiots to justify their pay checks. The problem is these extra services are never really tested, rolled out into the field with little training and never supported with enough manpower. The end result is they negatively impact the system and disrupt service on the bread and butter pkgs.

You mean, like FO that gets delivered around noon?

hypo hanna

FO is an excellant example. With the DOT restrictions on drivers and many stations chronically understaffed, FO fouls up hours like nothing else. It's only saving grace is the high premium we charge for it. Still it probably cost FedEx more then it makes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FO is an excellant example. With the DOT restrictions on drivers and many stations chronically understaffed, FO fouls up hours like nothing else. It's only saving grace is the high premium we charge for it. Still it probably cost FedEx more then it makes.

Legitimate FO is something customers absolutely count-on, and we're letting a lot of them down. I did FO for a couple of years, and it was almost always something crucial. Passports, airline tickets, a forgotten laptop with a critical presentation due at 0900, medical implants etc. Customers were very aware when it didn't get there on-time, and I completely sympathize with them.

The "new" FO commitment is no commitment at all if the freight is late, because they are too understaffed (and cheap) to honor the commitment FedEx made to make it the top priority over all other packages. They just roll it in with the rest of the P1. That's lame...and wrong.

I know of one major customer who has a service exception that allows the courier(s) to deliver their freight by a certain time well beyond the 1030 P1 commitment. Our highly ethical managers roll FO into this same exception, meaning that some really critical items don't get delivered until the PM. This also allows them to kill an FO route and save the hours. Why the customer isn't hunting heads is beyond me, because I know that some of the FO is worth literally millions in terms of the value of the item itself or the lost revenue not having it there represents.

I think I'll send a letter to their CEO explaining exactly how FedEx handles their FO. It might result in an interesting response.

hypo hanna

Legitimate FO is something customers absolutely count-on, and we're letting a lot of them down. I did FO for a couple of years, and it was almost always something crucial. Passports, airline tickets, a forgotten laptop with a critical presentation due at 0900, medical implants etc. Customers were very aware when it didn't get there on-time, and I completely sympathize with them.

The "new" FO commitment is no commitment at all if the freight is late, because they are too understaffed (and cheap) to honor the commitment FedEx made to make it the top priority over all other packages. They just roll it in with the rest of the P1. That's lame...and wrong.

I know of one major customer who has a service exception that allows the courier(s) to deliver their freight by a certain time well beyond the 1030 P1 commitment. Our highly ethical managers roll FO into this same exception, meaning that some really critical items don't get delivered until the PM. This also allows them to kill an FO route and save the hours. Why the customer isn't hunting heads is beyond me, because I know that some of the FO is worth literally millions in terms of the value of the item itself or the lost revenue not having it there represents.

I think I'll send a letter to their CEO explaining exactly how FedEx handles their FO. It might result in an interesting response.

Even anonymously I wouldn't do that. No matter how much you want to do right by the customer, that would get you fired in a heartbeat.

fedupped

FO is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. The airbill is vague...Next earliest day commitment without suggesting a del time or cost structure. i would surmise a major percentage are erroneously marked FO when the customer really wants P1.

SmithBarney

FO is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. The airbill is vague...Next earliest day commitment without suggesting a del time or cost structure. i would surmise a major percentage are erroneously marked FO when the customer really wants P1.

Happened all the time when they "re-designed" the airbills, and moved FO to where PO had been. I had a ton of pickup customers selecting FO
by accident, I questioned many of them. Dropboxes however were another story, never saw so many FO letters. That went on for about a month, probably around the same time the customers got their next bill..

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx is already in hot water for over billing and cheating thousands of customers. Sounds like they're looking for more trouble with FO charges and misrepresentation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx is already in hot water for over billing and cheating thousands of customers. Sounds like they're looking for more trouble with FO charges and misrepresentation.

Considering what they charge for FO, it should have it's own separate area on the AWB, be printed in a different color of ink or otherwise distinguished from the other services. That way, the customer knows they are selecting it, and have made an intentional effort to find the service.

I also agree that the current AWB is designed to trick unwitting customers into selecting FO. There was a big push a couple of years ago to expand FO into areas that had never had the service available before, and then it mysteriously appears in a new spot on the AWB. They wouldn't have expanded the service if there weren't $$$ to be made.

Most customers don't fully understand our services.

DontThrowPackages

Considering what they charge for FO, it should have it's own separate area on the AWB, be printed in a different color of ink or otherwise distinguished from the other services. That way, the customer knows they are selecting it, and have made an intentional effort to find the service.

I also agree that the current AWB is designed to trick unwitting customers into selecting FO. There was a big push a couple of years ago to expand FO into areas that had never had the service available before, and then it mysteriously appears in a new spot on the AWB. They wouldn't have expanded the service if there weren't $$$ to be made.

Most customers don't fully understand our services.
Companies these days leave integrity at the door to satisfy the stockholder.