Big P/T Problem

upser92

I heard some very angering news tonight on the midnight sort and me and some co-workers are beyond pissed at this and I feel it is a violation of union rules what happened. Anyways I've been loading on the Midnight sort for a year, and 2 of my friends for 7 and 5 months respectively. Well this new hire came in and busts his butt, I'll give him that, but he told us tonight that he would be getting a raise from $9.50 to $10.50. He has only been working at UPS for 3 months and I am asking if it is within the rules to give someone a raise not based on seniority and what I can do? Thanks from a very angry upser

menotyou

bella amicizia
That sounds about right for my center. Giving away the loading raise within a month or two at my center. Have been for a few years, now.

upser92

Can they do that? I mean really I just got my one year raise and the funny thing is I actually do more volume than this guy. It doesn't seem right for a person to be making more for the same job and he just got his raise from 8.50 to 9.50

menotyou

bella amicizia
One thing you need to learn: It's their game, their rules, their ball, their field, their refs. Now, with that information, what do you think the answer is?

The wages listed in contract are minimums..

rocket man

I heard some very angering news tonight on the midnight sort and me and some co-workers are beyond pissed at this and I feel it is a violation of union rules what happened. Anyways I've been loading on the Midnight sort for a year, and 2 of my friends for 7 and 5 months respectively. Well this new hire came in and busts his butt, I'll give him that, but he told us tonight that he would be getting a raise from $9.50 to $10.50. He has only been working at UPS for 3 months and I am asking if it is within the rules to give someone a raise not based on seniority and what I can do? Thanks from a very angry upser
HOW long have you 3 pissed sorters been in the union ? call them and ask whats up.

DDB

sounds like this guy who is telling you this may be classed as a preloader and may have been given wrong info himself. in my building we have one big preload from 4am to 830am, then on twiligh and mid night we have a preload sect. these employees do get a dollor more an hour even if they are working the same shift as you. this is do to the fact they are classed as preload. so he may be thinking here that after 90 days he gets another $1 has been given the wrong info. he will only get .50 after 90 and then another .50 after one year, bring him to 10.50. if he is really getting 10.50 now or in the next few weeks then file a greivance and wait to see. we had guy that was getting paid wrong and he went around telling people what he is making and then someone filed on it and it turned out he was wrong and UPS corrected the problem and had some ajustments to his check for a while. UPS will find out if this guy is not making the correct amount and he may get the adjustments to his checks.

upser92

No he is a regular midnight loader. He sat down with a main supervisor and on the way home he told me that they are giving him a dollar raise for his "hardwork". Funny thing is I actually load more volume than this guy. I've just never heard of someone getting a raise just to get one here at ups

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had kids getting raises by threatening to quit. I guess it worked. I saw the checks. What is there to grieve? As I said, the wages in the contract are minimums. They can pay any of us whatever they want, as long as it's above the minimum. After that, just do your job. Butt-suckers end up crashing and burning.

Let the 'ABOVE THE RADAR' people do the bitchin', and take the heat. They like the attention. I know. I, already , have a target. You don't need one, too.:happy2:

upser92

Nope slater my local has the same rules but i think meno is right, this kid threatened to quit so they gave him a raise

Inthegame

No he is a regular midnight loader. He sat down with a main supervisor and on the way home he told me that they are giving him a dollar raise for his "hardwork". Funny thing is I actually load more volume than this guy. I've just never heard of someone getting a raise just to get one here at ups
Maybe you should threaten to quit.

upser92

Maybe you should threaten to quit.

Haha you bet I will. And you can guarantee my other co-workers I'm friends with will threaten the same. I don't think they would want the PD that recieves annually the most volume in the building to lose 3 loaders right at peak season. I'd like to see them try to run a PD that would have 4 new hires during peak season as we just got a brand new guy as well

chopstic

I hate to be the only one to say it, but its none of your business what is on someone elses paycheck. As long as you are receiving your contractually agreed upon wage, you are good.

nystripe96

You get a $1 raise after your first 90 days unless your local has different rules

My supe put me in for the $1 raise after just 2 months so i'm at $9.50 after 2 months of loading. I was #2 in my Hub for least mis-sorts for month of October, so that may be why. I'm unsure when I'll get another raise however, if it's another .50 after my first 90 days I'll surely take it. Regardless, it's pretty standard to get the $1 raise after 90 days worked I hear. One thing that's of interest is that I'm seeing after 1 year I should be making $10.50. If I take that sort test for the extra $1 rasie, would that mean i could be making $11.50 after just one year?

Southwestern

Per the national contract, all p/t employees hired after August 1, 2008 will conform to the following wage table:
Unskilled: Start: $8.50, After 90 Days: $9.50, After 1 Year: $10.00, After 2 Years: $10.50
Skilled jobs add $1.

air_dr

I hate to be the only one to say it, but its none of your business what is on someone elses paycheck. As long as you are receiving your contractually agreed upon wage, you are good.
+1
The following may be over kill on my part, but I'm just getting back from church and can't pass this one up...[h=5]Matthew 20 - The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard[/h] [SUP]1[/SUP] “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. [SUP]2[/SUP] He agreed to pay them a denarius[SUP][a][/SUP] for the day and sent them into his vineyard.
[SUP]3[/SUP] “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. [SUP]4[/SUP] He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ [SUP]5[/SUP] So they went.
“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. [SUP]6[/SUP] About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’
[SUP]7[/SUP] “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.
“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’
[SUP]8[/SUP] “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’
[SUP]9[/SUP] “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. [SUP]10[/SUP] So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. [SUP]11[/SUP] When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. [SUP]12[/SUP] ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’
[SUP]13[/SUP] “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? [SUP]14[/SUP] Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. [SUP]15[/SUP] Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ [SUP]16[/SUP] “So the last will be first, and the first

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Very few people realize that our pay rates and progression is the MINIMUM suggested pay rate meaning that if your manager really isn't worried about #'s, you could actoually get higher pay then what you are scaled at.

Note the word minimum suggested pay rate meaning pay rate is able to go above what it is set for. I've never seen anyone get more then the suggested though.

I take that back, WE have air walkers who are all payed more then their progression scale. I think it's to keep them from quiting cause they get like 15 hrs a week. Not enough hrs for bennies or part time pension.

I don't even know if our walkers realize this but because they don't meet te required hrs., they could work 40 yrs+ and still not get pension cause of short hrs.

Southwestern

Very few people realize that our pay rates and progression is the MINIMUM suggested pay rate meaning that if your manager really isn't worried about #'s, you could actoually get higher pay then what you are scaled at.

Yes, the contract specifies minimum pay levels. However, it's my understanding that the only pay rate manipulation local management has access to is skilled vs. unskilled; any other modifications must be done through HR. And I'm skeptical of anybody who claims they were offered a merit raise: I've heard that story many times, offered a financial reward if they could prove it but nobody's taken my challenge. That's not to say payroll errors aren't frequent -- I'm aware of several, including a March hire who's pocketing $11.50/hour (should be $10.50) -- they're just not on purpose

opie

So you could be a driver who is still in progression and ask for the top rate? With the union, everything is supposed to be fair and even I thought.