Big Push For Increased Productivity

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's pretty obvious that there is a major effort to increase productivity right now. The only problem is that there is no accompanying raise in pay. Uh oh, I guess they forgot...again. Perhaps they are trying to do everything possible to achieve "compliance" before we go union, or maybe they're just hoping to squeeze just one more drop of blood from us and help poor old Fred finance his campaign to keep us in the poorhouse for perpetuity.

Isn't this great? Let's push even harder so we can have more on-road accidents. more stress, and fewer satisfied customers. On one hand, the company wants us to provide a "superior" customer experience, which presumably would include some face time. Nope....it's slam, bam, thank you Ma'am, and hit the door so you won't have any gap time. It's kind of like trying to make slow love, but you have both ED and PE, making a quality experience more or less impossible. Maybe Fred should call- in the Boston Clinic for some advice.

Once again, it's more for less (money), and the customer gets the shaft (or doesn't, if you get the Boston Clinic inference).

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Customers have been getting screwed by Smith's unwillingness to pay for the service people pay for and expect for years.

Hope it all blows up in his face someday.

Maybe he should just forget about the air freight business and just specialize in brown nosing influential politicians. It's what he does best.

snackdad

The way I see it, FedEx is going downhill so fast that it will be a shell of its former self soon. Too bad, back in the early 1990's it was a half way decent place to work. The lawsuits that are tearing apart FedEx's current business model will only get worse as people are treated with less and less dignity and honesty. Everyone at my station currently finds the only way to achieve the unrealistic stops per hour goal is to falsify, double sheet, work through state paid breaks and unpaid second lunch breaks. Management knows it is going on but could not be happier when their productivity bonus rolls in at our expense. Dare to speak up and you will be hit with a barrage of OLCC's and letters.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The way I see it, FedEx is going downhill so fast that it will be a shell of its former self soon. Too bad, back in the early 1990's it was a half way decent place to work. The lawsuits that are tearing apart FedEx's current business model will only get worse as people are treated with less and less dignity and honesty. Everyone at my station currently finds the only way to achieve the unrealistic stops per hour goal is to falsify, double sheet, work through state paid breaks and unpaid second lunch breaks. Management knows it is going on but could not be happier when their productivity bonus rolls in at our expense. Dare to speak up and you will be hit with a barrage of OLCC's and letters.

Another person that gets it. Congratulations on being smart enough to see the big picture. Maybe you can inform quadro about the way it really works out in the field.

quadro

Another person that gets it. Congratulations on being smart enough to see the big picture. Maybe you can inform quadro about the way it really works out in the field.
Well maybe if snackdad knew how it really works out in the field they could inform me. "double sheet"? really? Since when do we use delivery records on a regular basis?

It's easy to jump on any bandwagon. Just because snackdad jumped on your's doesn't make him knowledgeable. However, again, I understand why you would take a first/second time poster at their word as it serves your purpose.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well maybe if snackdad knew how it really works out in the field they could inform me. "double sheet"? really? Since when do we use delivery records on a regular basis?

It's easy to jump on any bandwagon. Just because snackdad jumped on your's doesn't make him knowledgeable. However, again, I understand why you would take a first/second time poster at their word as it serves your purpose.

I don't know what "doublesheet" means in the context he is using it either, but I agree with the basic content of his post. He "gets" that it's a scam...you don't.

quadro

I don't know what "doublesheet" means in the context he is using it either, but I agree with the basic content of his post. He "gets" that it's a scam...you don't.
So let me get this straight. You don't know what he's talking about but he "gets it". Gets what? You are just going to dismiss the part of his post that makes no sense, assume the rest of it is correct, and then tell the world "see, he knows what I'm talking about"?

I have no reason to doubt how bad your station is. If you say it is then I believe you. But this whole "rah, rah, FedEx is evil" dance that you do gets undermined pretty quickly when you use baseless statements from someone that doesn't even make sense.

snackdad

I was hired in 1990 and fired in 2010. If you think that as a full time courier for 20 years I do not know what is going on, then feel free to send me a private message and I will call you and tell you. If you do not know what double sheet means then you are a rookie. Check 6.
The minute you have 20 years seniority plus over 40 years of age, you are on thin ice.

quadro

I was hired in 1990 and fired in 2010. If you think that as a full time courier for 20 years I do not know what is going on, then feel free to send me a private message and I will call you and tell you. If you do not know what double sheet means then you are a rookie. Check 6.
The minute you have 20 years seniority plus over 40 years of age, you are on thin ice.
And I'm sure you don't have an axe to grind. Why were you fired?

I know what double sheet means (in the instances I've heard it used, it really should be double stop, not double sheet, correct?). And I do have well over 20 years and am over 40 and there's no ice in sight.

snackdad

If I told you why I was fired not only would you laugh but I would expose myself at the same time. I have litigation pending.
Private message me and I will be happy to talk to you.
Ice is a metaphor. Do not check your footing QUadro. 6

quadro

If I told you why I was fired not only would you laugh but I would expose myself at the same time. I have litigation pending.
Private message me and I will be happy to talk to you.
Ice is a metaphor. Do not check your footing QUadro. 6
I know ice is a metaphor. I simply meant that not only am I not on thin ice, I don't even see any ice (that's how far from thin ice I am).

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I know ice is a metaphor. I simply meant that not only am I not on thin ice, I don't even see any ice (that's how far from thin ice I am).

If you don't see any ice then you just think you're far away from it.

I'm sure that pat on the back from management you probably got is very reassuring.

quadro

If you don't see any ice then you just think you're far away from it.

I'm sure that pat on the back from management you probably got is very reassuring.
Nope. I know. It might be hard for you to believe but the odds are most employees are not on thin ice. I can only infer from your post that you are on thin ice so what put you there?

snackdad

Double sheeting refers to our practice of writing down airbill numbers of packages that you are dropping off while on your paid state breaks or unpaid lunch and manually entering into the power pad later when back on road to make it look like you are out there really working hard. Some couriers just take a photo of the airbill info with their camera phones or tear a strip of the barcode away to scan later. It keeps the managers off our backs and the insults and intimidation under control. We all know it is wrong and only hurts us but the unrealistic productivity goals need to be reached or we will get OLCC'd to death and then the threats, letters, harassment. We just want to work hard, get through our day and go home with out having to transload and stay out there all night. There are people with real lives and families that are overworked, stressed and tired.
The most common practice we all use is to gather up all our pick ups on our second unpaid half hour lunch break in the afternoon and scan them all in when back on the power pad. It makes our numbers look great, we get to go home on time and it keeps the managers off our backs.
Does management know we do this? Absolutely. They can run a report everyday to see who is manually entering airbill numbers. Do they care? No. Their bonus checks based on station productivity and budget is all that matters.
Dare to speak up about it and you are black listed. Every move will be scrutinized.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So let me get this straight. You don't know what he's talking about but he "gets it". Gets what? You are just going to dismiss the part of his post that makes no sense, assume the rest of it is correct, and then tell the world "see, he knows what I'm talking about"?

I have no reason to doubt how bad your station is. If you say it is then I believe you. But this whole "rah, rah, FedEx is evil" dance that you do gets undermined pretty quickly when you use baseless statements from someone that doesn't even make sense.

He obviously knows what he's talking about. I'm guessing his "double sheet" means doing a Code 8 on a residential ISR before you even get to the door, and then delivering it to the consignee. Before Signature Release, some people use to always Code 8 it first anyway to get an attempt and pump-up the numbers. There's a wide variation in lingo throughout the country. He PM'ed me, and he's definitely a former employee. Good try at trying to make him look illegitimate on your part. Keep on defending the indefensible, OK?

quadro

He obviously knows what he's talking about. I'm guessing his "double sheet" means doing a Code 8 on a residential ISR before you even get to the door, and then delivering it to the consignee. Before Signature Release, some people use to always Code 8 it first anyway to get an attempt and pump-up the numbers. There's a wide variation in lingo throughout the country. He PM'ed me, and he's definitely a former employee. Good try at trying to make him look illegitimate on your part. Keep on defending the indefensible, OK?
Former being the keyword. Just look at his post above yours. If he did that stuff it's no wonder he is a former employee. Any employee that does that much work to get out of doing work shouldn't be a courier. You've already told us how good you are so I'm sure you don't do that stuff and neither do I. You know it doesn't need to be done yet when someone does it and gets a WL or fired and complains, you say "see, he gets it" so why don't you show me how to defend the indefensible as you seem to be an expert.

newgirl

Former being the keyword. Just look at his post above yours. If he did that stuff it's no wonder he is a former employee. Any employee that does that much work to get out of doing work shouldn't be a courier. You've already told us how good you are so I'm sure you don't do that stuff and neither do I. You know it doesn't need to be done yet when someone does it and gets a WL or fired and complains, you say "see, he gets it" so why don't you show me how to defend the indefensible as you seem to be an expert.

It's not to get out of doing work. They are doing more work. It's padding numbers. It's also falsification. I had a Sr. guy tell me the other day he does this. By Sr I mean 4 digits. I had a another not-so-senior guy tell me he had already picked up a package but he was waiting to punch it in.

I cannot fathom why anyone works outside the rules anymore. It's a whole new ball game out there. It's not fedex express anymore. It's FEDEX. Play by their rules. Take a lesson from the UPS guys. Their rules and procedures are remarkably similar to ours. Unfortunately we don't get a do over since we have no one to represent us. yes, being over 40 sucks at fedex. But don't give them the rope they need to hang you by.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I see it, and the key concept is that management is fully aware that it is happening. In other words, they are tacitly condoning the behavior because it makes their numbers look good too. This whole scam is a house of cards, and if FedEx really wanted to go behind the scenes and stop it...they would. But they don't, and that's part of the game. FedEx wants employees to work off the clock and do everything possible to boost "productivity"....even if it's fake.

I've always assumed that the company would eventually bust this kind of crap, so I've never done it, and never will. However, there are obviously a lot of others who do it and get away with it because that's what the company has designed into the job. It sucks, but so does FedEx.

Snackdad's post just confirms what I've been saying for a long time. FedEx knowingly encourages the practices he describes.

FedEx2000

I see it, and the key concept is that management is fully aware that it is happening. In other words, they are tacitly condoning the behavior because it makes their numbers look good too. This whole scam is a house of cards, and if FedEx really wanted to go behind the scenes and stop it...they would. But they don't, and that's part of the game. FedEx wants employees to work off the clock and do everything possible to boost "productivity"....even if it's fake.

I've always assumed that the company would eventually bust this kind of crap, so I've never done it, and never will. However, there are obviously a lot of others who do it and get away with it because that's what the company has designed into the job. It sucks, but so does FedEx.

Snackdad's post just confirms what I've been saying for a long time. FedEx knowingly encourages the practices he describes.

I think you should clarify that to say that there are certain managers that know it takes place, but do nothing about it. FedEx does not encourage these types of practices. Any manager stupid enough to let it continue will be gone as well.

Just b/c there isn't a cop around doesn't make it legal to speed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you should clarify that to say that there are certain managers that know it takes place, but do nothing about it. FedEx does not encourage these types of practices. Any manager stupid enough to let it continue will be gone as well.

Just b/c there isn't a cop around doesn't make it legal to speed.

The falsification practices that are being discussed are very widespread. If you took the time, and had the desire, you'd find it in your own station. All you'd have to do was follow someone with astounding numbers during their 13/14 "lunch hour". Maybe your station goes by the book, but I doubt it.