Big Snow!!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
br

we still have cars and vans blocking roadways that should be clear right now. scrapers cant scrape if a car is in the way.

friday night it was surreal, thousands of people on foot trying to get somewhere warm. used the suburban to shuttle people for hours. one woman had only a light jacket and sandals walking away from her car in the ditch. hubby had told her the streets were just fine, so she left work to go home. That was at 4, i got her there at 11 30.

i remember a storm in early 88, hit sc pretty hard. remember a caddy that was hit from behind, had burned to a shell, had almost a foot of snow on it, and was sitting in the middle of the interstate. road graders were pushing vehicles out of the way so they could clear the roads.

what hurt here was the total lack of being prepared. some salt would have kept the early snow from turning to ice under the foot that followed.

d

Brown Rocket

D,

I grew up in south Florida and still live there so I have no idea the ramifications of a bad snow storm but that sounds like crap. Snow sucks.

It's just not meant to be for me to be in snow. I joined the military to see the world and they sent me to North Florida. Saved a bunch of money by making me drive though.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
br

to give you an idea, the word went out at around 4 to be back at the center by 6. we had at least 12 drivers that were over 16 hours friday. thats 8 hours past the be back at building time. and many of those started heading back at 4. 10 hours to drive 60-70 miles. and i believe that two were stranded. but at least all are safe.

snow used to not bother me too much, but i find as i age, things are worse than i remember them. i dont do extremes well anymore. leave that to those that are younger and have something to prove.

d

brownrod

We got blasted this week. Maybe 1 inch of snow and some icy roads. Then it all melted.

Maybe next year we won't get any snow.

Brown Rocket

The worst we get are hurricanes. We get plenty of notice, spend a little OT helping the PM guys ready the building the night before turning the trucks to face the building to protect the windshields and then put as many tractors in the building that we can. Come back a day later and start doing what we can. Turn on the generators, and run the operation with whomever didn't bug from the coast. The whole situation; storm, and catch up, is over within a day or two. None of this dragging it out by getting inch after inch of snow day after day.

over9five

Staff member
Listened to the forcast before I went to work yesterday. In my area they were calling for 4-8" starting late afternoon.
Great, I thought, I'll have to drive in it all night.
Didn't see any snow till my last trip back from MHT, probably about 4am. Snowing pretty hard as I walked out to my car.

Grand total at my house? 4-8 inches? Nope, just a dusting!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
then be glad, very glad.

they were calling for an additional 4-8 inches on saturday that did not come either. and that is a very good thing.

try learning how to shovel snow with one hand. loads of fun

d

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Only around 3 inches here just over the MA border in New Hampshire. Usually it is the other way around, but this time it pays off being further north.
I'm 10 miles south of Salem{merrimack valley } we got lucky with only about 9'' i'll take 20 inches of fluffy snow over 8'' of the wet stuff anytime!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Listened to the forcast before I went to work yesterday. In my area they were calling for 4-8" starting late afternoon.
Great, I thought, I'll have to drive in it all night.
Didn't see any snow till my last trip back from MHT, probably about 4am. Snowing pretty hard as I walked out to my car.

Grand total at my house? 4-8 inches? Nope, just a dusting!
4 to 8 '' is a dusting for us Over!!

BrownArmy

I'm just south of Boston and I think we got about a foot of snow total. Nice and fluffy, it was real easy to shovel!

It's nice it hit here on the weekend (stopped snowing around 3pm today). The roads will be clear, most people will have shoveled their sidewalks, and it won't be the nightmare it could have been with the pkg volume expected tomorrow...

bigbrownhen

A foot of snow here shuts the area down. Too many hills and hollers. We always get the wet slicker that you know what snow. None of that fluffy powdery stuff I have heard about up north. The highway departments must be equiped better up there to have main roadways clear so fast.

Big Babooba

I was sitting at a bar today discussing our near miss. I got an inch - maybe two of the white stuff at my house. Eight inches of snow fell less than ten miles east of us. I guess if you live in the eastahn paht of deh state, you wah punished fah deh funny way yah talk.:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
I was sitting at a bar today discussing our near miss. I got an inch - maybe two of the white stuff at my house. Eight inches of snow fell less than ten miles east of us. I guess if you live in the eastahn paht of deh state, you wah punished fah deh funny way yah talk.:happy-very:

Good point. I pass thru Littleton on my way to work. The news said they got 6", while I got a dusting maybe 15 miles away. Weird storm!

spif91

Big storm here in Oklahoma last night.....fortunate to end my feeder run at 6:30am Thursday morn after a 9 pm start on Wed nite......Buddy of mine left at 2:45 am Thursday morn headed to Arkansas and got hung up behind several accidents east of OKC and got in at 3:00 am this morning......23 hrs and 15 min run that he usually does in 11 in an International stuck out on I-40 for 12 hrs. Talked to him at 6:30 this morning and he sounded pretty frazzled.....