Bill Clinton interview on Fox

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Two Months Before 9/11, an Urgent Warning to Rice - washingtonpost.com

More and more will shake out about this whole process over time and this is good. I think in the end that it will be impossible to lay sole blame on any President, adminstration, political party, etc. and there will be plenty to spread around everwhere.JMO.

Well this is interesting:
Bush Officials May Have Covered Up Rice-Tenet Meeting From 9/11 Commission

Apparently neither Tenet nor Rice saw fit to mention that urgent warning to the 9/11 commission.

Last edited:

wkmac

As well there should be. What has been amazing is how bush has gotten all the blame for 9/11 when he barely had the presidency long enough to unpack the furniture.

Clinton has so far been able to dodge his share of the blame and as you can see he was quick to resort to the right wing conspiracy lines when confronted with his share of the pie.

Its very likely the monica lewinsky affair and its aftermath helped distract his presidency.

No argument from me Tie. I do think Clinton operated in ways for whatever reason that caused him to miss opportunities or see those opportunities to address Bin Laden. I will also admit our ability now to see in this perspective is from the advantage of hindsight.

Apparently neither Tenet nor Rice saw fit to mention that urgent warning to the 9/11 commission.

I guess not because the most obvious next question would be, "then why did you fail to react to the information in the report?" How do you answer that one in their shoes? Why Bush and Company failed to respond is puzzling unless you buy the conspiracy theory that Bush and Cheney had backroom meetings with the Anglo-American Oil barons and fellow travelers and the plan was to let Osama and Al Queda attack. Osama even took his orders from the same folks that Bush did and this in turn was the mechanism to invade the Mid-East for the empire. I do believe there is an aristocratic, empirical thought process among the various elites but in most cases things happen as a result of poor management and in some cases just bad luck and that rarely things are so perfect of a conspiratorial cause & effect. My guess is the data wasn't acted on at the time for much the same "watching the polls" mentality that so engrossed the previous adminstration. They all do it but I just think the Clinton gang was more overt about it and in an odd way at least that shows some honesty on their part.

I really think the real lesson that we should have learned since the first WTC attack in 93' was that the gov't just can't protect us no matter what or how hard they try and I do think the average law enforcement, soldier, etc. is trying their guts out to do just that. God love em for it too!

The truth is, nobody can. Just as hard as the local cop may try he can't be everywhere and protect everyone at all times from the criminal element. The bigger question for us is, are far and how much are we willing to give up to the local cop so that at the very least our satistical odds of being a victim might go up just enough to give us some false hope of security. The best defense against these bastards is being good neighbors, knowing your neighbors and even knowing your local law and protective service officials. The more we know each other, when something odd pops up, it's seen very quick and a hard look can take place.

Raw

Raw Member
When Iran nukes Israel or Baghdad the libs will blame Bush for not arresting the Iranian President when he was in the USA at the U.N. !

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Well this is interesting:
Bush Officials May Have Covered Up Rice-Tenet Meeting From 9/11 Commission

It would seem plausible to believe that someone in the counter terrorism field would have sensed the possibility of some type of terrorist attacks. Without making excuses for any of them its also believable that no one imagined that a 9/11 could happen nor would they have gotten enough people to believe them. Instead its very likely that they would have been viewed as alarmist and their motives questioned.

There is no doubt in my mind that a Bill Clinton who truly understood the possible Bin laden threat would have done more then just fire some cruise missiles at a training camp.

I'm sure a Bush and his administration would have done the same. Whether you are a republican or democrat you have to agree that both presidencies have and had some of the brightest people in the world working for them. Yet none ever imagined or truly believed that a 9/11 could happen.

Even in the post 9/11 days we often see the bush administration being accused of politicizing the threat levels or of raising them to heighten the hysteria before an election.

Its probably an internal defense mechanism that makes us so. To carry your mindset at a level where you believe there are 9/11's waiting to happen is to live at a level of paranoia difficult to escape from.

Ultimately that was our greatest blunder our reluctance to believe it could happen.

tieguy

Banned
I really think the real lesson that we should have learned since the first WTC attack in 93' was that the gov't just can't protect us no matter what or how hard they try and I do think the average law enforcement, soldier, etc. is trying their guts out to do just that. God love em for it too!

I think they can the question would be how much we are willing to give up in our personal liberties. Americans will not stand long for giving up the freedom to live and move as they please. Total security would be so oppressive that very few of us would allow it. Total security could even mean exporting and barring all people with middle east roots from this country. So yea in a sense I think you're right in that the cost of total security is so high that we will never pay the bill. So somewhere down the road another event will take place, we will again start the witch hunts to find out who screwed up and we will again start the process of debating whether the security we have is too oppressive.