Black Friday

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Octavia, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Octavia

Octavia New Member

I justgot hired as a seasonal driver helper and I might not be able to work the day after Thanksgiving, is it alright if I just miss that one day?
    • Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Bottom rung

Bottom rung Active Member

I'll get the popcorn.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. alwaysRTS

alwaysRTS Shop Steward

Make sure you come back here and post what the supervisor's response is to your request.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  4. Saltybrownie

Saltybrownie Member

As a helper might not be to bad but as a driver be prepared to never be considered for a position again
  5. HxC MADxMAN

HxC MADxMAN You're not my supervisor

I wouldn't risk it, especially so early in the season. That's not going to leave a good impression. What are you doing that would cause you to miss work that day? I'm a seasonal driver, and I got told I still needed to show up, even though I got called to jury duty one morning. Luckily the jury trial got cancelled, but you see my point?
  6. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. rod

rod retired and happy

Hell yes---go for it----take the two weeks off before Christmas too.
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. browner89

browner89 Active Member

Why wouldn't you be able to work that day? Is your family one of the dumb ones who go into that mess? Worst shopping day in the history of the world. I feel sorry for those who think it's worth it.

Take the double/overtime pay and be happy, it'll make up for any money you may have potentially saved in that :censored2:-storm.
  9. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Yeah go ahead and take it. I'm sure none of the seniority guys want to take that day off anyways.
  10. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

Think about it this way. You have been hired for a very short period of time. The only reason you are working is because this is the busiest 6 weeks of the year for ups. You knew all of this upfront, but you want to be off on Black Friday.

There are no days off for helpers. You should work every day, or just quit now. Show up, shut up, keep up.
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Depending upon the volume and number of routes dispatched you may or may not be needed so it may or may not be a moot point; that being said, you knew the deal when you signed up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Few helpers show up everyday anyway. I would be surprised if we run many helpers that day. None so far.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Our center has been instructed that no helpers will be used that day.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

At 10 bucks a hour for a seasonal job that lasts 4-6 weeks with no real set time schedule, no idea where you'll have to meet a driver (3 zip codes over) I wouldn't have shown up to the interview.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. TheMasochist

TheMasochist 200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back

Our center already has the paper up saying "EVERYONE IS WORKING BLACK FRIDAY - DO NOT ASK FOR THAT DAY OFF"
  16. EasyTrucker

EasyTrucker Active Member

Our feeder dept has a "who wants off list" up for Black Friday. Over 30 guys have signed it, and last year they only let 2 guys off......LOL
    Hope these guys are ready to work Black Friday!
  17. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Just call in than take the next 4 weeks off while your at it.
  18. We'll be making double time for all hours worked (plus the 8 hours of holiday pay). I'll work the max allowed...but it seems like it would make more sense to utilize helpers and minimize the hours for the employees making $68 an hour?
  19. Man Of Brown

Man Of Brown Active Member

He's a seasonal driver so no holiday pay or overtime/double time all day for working a holiday. So no motivation there.
  20. onehandsolo

onehandsolo Active Member

My center did not use helpers on Black Friday last year. Almost every route was dispatched between 8.5 and 9.5. No drivers requested paid actual.