Blizzard warning issued

tarbar66

I worked in a Center that was in a snow belt off Lake Erie. Back when digital cameras first became available, the division manager would ask for some pictures emailed to him so he could show his boss what we had to put up with.

The blizzard days were selective delivery days and be back to the Center before 18:00.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This was the return trip, during the day. This was the easy part of the day. I'm guessing this was about 25 to 35 MPH on the interstate. I basically had the road all to myself.

photo (10).jpg
photo (10).jpg

According to the union, if you feel that driving conditions are NOT SAFE, let your dispatcher know that you are bringing the truck in. There's not a darn thing they can do to you. Do not listen to dispatch telling you that things need to be delivered. Those people in that nice warm building sitting behind there little computers have never even driven the trucks. They haven't got a clue as to the real world. Their so called safety policy is bs. They are all about the numbers and they don't care how they get them....even if they have to fudge them!!!!!!!!!!!! There are government offices closing down. That's pretty serious. Please be safe and Happy New Year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This was the return trip, during the day. This was the easy part of the day. I'm guessing this was about 25 to 35 MPH on the interstate. I basically had the road all to myself.

There is room for a few more people in the South ... gets hot but nothing like that!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I had a few white knuckle moments, but I drive a twin axle tractor, so traction wasn't a problem for me. Until I realized my ice scraper could could free up my driver side wiper, combined with blowing snow on the top of a few hills, there was a few brief moments where I just couldn't see in front of my headlights. Like I said, in the dark was the worst. Luckily, I-35 is almost a straight highway. I know to stop if it isn't safe, which I did quite a bit. It was one of the reasons I ran out of hours. But when you're moving, feeling ok, then the wipers freeze up, you briefly can't see the road and there is no place to pull over, well you just do what you can do until you can get off the road.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.....But when you're moving, feeling ok, then the wipers freeze up, you briefly can't see the road and there is no place to pull over, well you just do what you can do until you can get off the road.

Just like the old GMC 500's. I used to drive one 20 miles on the Interstate to get to my route, and there were many times I had about a one inch strip of clear windshield after a semi passed me.

Those days, I'd get off the highway and take the old (slow) road.

bluehdmc

There is no policy regarding blizzards. I drove in an awful blizzard last Wednesday. I got stuck behind a line of trucks--on a hill--for three hours. I ended up running out of hours on the return trip and had to shut it down and wait for a ride home. I waited over three hours. By the time I clocked out, I ended being on the clock for 18 and 3/4 hours. One other driver had it worse. He ended up being on the clock for 23 hours.

That's your blizzard policy.

Nothing like pulling a set of doubles with a single axle tractor in a blizzard!
Did it a few years ago from Hartford, CT to North Jersey. Worst thing was wipers icing up and snow building up in the headlights. Didn't have any steep hills to go up, but you notice every grade in the road, where you used to think it was flat, isn't. :-)

I did turn around once from a CPU, they called and there was no answer so they said I had to go, took an empty up the NY Thruway, when I got off the exit the toll booths looked like a disaster. I called and told them it was impassable an came back. Where I turned around they got a total of 30 inches. The next night I made it to the customer and no one was there then either. Lot of miles with an empty trailer.

Don't forget the pooping.

We really don't need to be reminded of that!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We had like 7 inchs in 3 hrs. On Lake Erie they know how to handle it. In central south Ohio, they do not. We got called in at 3pm. 1356549700975.jpgNo reason for this other than unskilled at the wheel. The occasional rain really helped to make it a soupy mess tho. I just missed this one.
And then getting home was much easier with my trusty 4x4, but not before calling all the neighbors to make sure they didnt need anything while I was still out.CAM00141.jpg
1356549700975.jpg
CAM00141.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
We had like 7 inchs in 3 hrs. On Lake Erie they know how to handle it. In central south Ohio, they do not. We got called in at 3pm. View attachment 8111No reason for this other than unskilled at the wheel. The occasional rain really helped to make it a soupy mess tho. I just missed this one.
And then getting home was much easier with my trusty 4x4, but not before calling all the neighbors to make sure they didnt need anything while I was still out.View attachment 8112

You're a good neighbor!!

OptimusPrime

Here in Indianapolis we did not work today. I think visibility was mainly the issue. Could not have been as bad as the sheets of ice we drove on last Friday.

OptimusPrime

I have several, who don't need to be out in this. one with a bad hip, one with parkinsons, neither with 4x4. Im just lucky to be available to help.

Really miss my 1986 Ford F150 4X4. Lockout hubs, posi in the rear, and a stout 351 Windsor under the hood. Had a granny gear if I needed to pull down a skyscraper. Thought can't exactly complain about my 2004 Silverado. The posi trac is a bit squirelly, but picked up 320lbs of water softner salt to take care of that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a 2002 silverado, lost the reverse and 4x4 in the worst storm of 2009, and still made it to where I had to go. Hubby in hospital, told him I couldnt take him home. Glad cardio guy was there. He simply said why. I said I have no reverse, and I dont know when the rest will go..............Well how did you get here? I said forward of course. Cardio guy bout fell out of his chair. Went and bought a different truck a 2005. When they break they go all the way, til they do, they are awesome.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The posi trac is a bit squirelly, but picked up 320lbs of water softner salt to take care of that.

Funny, I bought 10 bags (400 lbs) of salt today for my 4-wheel Tundra today and put them over the rear wheels in the bed (I have a top).
I will use them in the pool come spring and warm weather.
I've been doing this for the last 5 or 6 years.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Funny, I bought 10 bags (400 lbs) of salt today for my 4-wheel Tundra today and put them over the rear wheels in the bed (I have a top).
I will use them in the pool come spring and warm weather.
I've been doing this for the last 5 or 6 years.
Even better, on a site I look at for deals on stuff, this was on the front page as I'm pursuing these threads.