Blood pressure tricks

Discussion in 'Health and Medical Topics' started by Mr. Bojangles, Oct 25, 2014.

1. I got a guy who's havin trouble. Any tips or advice for him??
  2. The Driver

The Driver Active Member

Having trouble? Hypertension?
  3. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Google, "How can I lower my blood pressure?"

I followed a bunch of the tips, lost weight, exercise a little more and watch what I eat. I used to be on Lisinipril, but do not need it anymore. It is also suggested to monitor your BP. We have a BP cuff in the break room, I take my BP once a week, write it down and watch where it is trending.
  4. Shift Inhibit

Shift Inhibit He who laughs last didn't get it.

8oz of beet root juice per day...tastes nasty but works!
  5. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

No coffee !!
  6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Cut sodium. Even 3 or 4 days before your physical no sodium in your diet can make a big difference.
  7. The Driver

The Driver Active Member

My dad went on a plant-based diet but continued to take his blood pressure meds. After just a couple weeks his blood pressure was way too low and got off his meds immediately. His BP went up to a normal range of 120/80.
  8. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

I used to eat a couple of bananas before my physical. Once you take BP meds, your physicals go from every 2 years to 1 year. I had 29 years of annual physicals. Mine was just borderline at best, and I had a case of "white coat" It would go up when I went to the company doctor. My personal doctor gave me some samples of happy pills. It settled me down a little bit. No problems after that. No sodium is good advice too.
  9. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Take an extra Lisinopril 1 hour before physical
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Don't drink coffee 1 hour before the physical.
  11. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I was given a 3 month physical card 3 months ago. According to the numbers, I should have been able to get a 1 year card but the doctor wanted the stage 1 hypertension brought under control. Diet and exercise helped but family doctor put me on 20mg of Benicar. Went in Friday and BP was 126/82. It kinda sucks that now I have to have annual physicals but I'm kinda glad too. My borderline hypertension was always "a number over a number" to me before. Now it actually means something to me. Considering the wide range of cardiovascular related death that can happen as a result--all the while feeling perfectly fine--has really inspired me to take it more seriously and keep it under control. It really isn't about a DOT card. It's about reducing the risk of a debilitating stroke or massive heart attack. Am I being an alarmist? Maybe. But I've know for 30 years that I was borderline hypertensive and didn't do anything about it. Not rolling the dice anymore.
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

What really concerns me are the number of my co-workers for whom the DOT physical is the only time they go to the "doctor".
  13. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

Bananas. They help a lot.
  14. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

Avocados too.
  15. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Keep in mind that the 90 day card is a one time thing. If you have a problem the next time you go in, it a suspension until you get your meds adjusted (in my case) It took about a week and a half for me. I was able to use vacation days during this time.
  16. VonDutch

VonDutch Bite your tongue, Missy

Does it really concern you?
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

Yes---I lie in bed at night worrying about it.
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

If you are borderline high it can cause a lot of anxiety since if you can't pass the physical you can't drive.
  19. rod

rod retired and happy

I remember one time I was so fed up with the company that I wanted to fail so I could get a few days off. I did everything under the sun to get my BP up but no luck. Back to work I went.
  20. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

All you had to do was mess up on the eye chart. Not that I've ever done that.