Blood pressure tricks

barnyard

KTM rider
Google, "How can I lower my blood pressure?"

I followed a bunch of the tips, lost weight, exercise a little more and watch what I eat. I used to be on Lisinipril, but do not need it anymore. It is also suggested to monitor your BP. We have a BP cuff in the break room, I take my BP once a week, write it down and watch where it is trending.

The Driver

I drive.
My dad went on a plant-based diet but continued to take his blood pressure meds. After just a couple weeks his blood pressure was way too low and got off his meds immediately. His BP went up to a normal range of 120/80.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I used to eat a couple of bananas before my physical. Once you take BP meds, your physicals go from every 2 years to 1 year. I had 29 years of annual physicals. Mine was just borderline at best, and I had a case of "white coat" It would go up when I went to the company doctor. My personal doctor gave me some samples of happy pills. It settled me down a little bit. No problems after that. No sodium is good advice too.

bbsam

Staff member
I was given a 3 month physical card 3 months ago. According to the numbers, I should have been able to get a 1 year card but the doctor wanted the stage 1 hypertension brought under control. Diet and exercise helped but family doctor put me on 20mg of Benicar. Went in Friday and BP was 126/82. It kinda sucks that now I have to have annual physicals but I'm kinda glad too. My borderline hypertension was always "a number over a number" to me before. Now it actually means something to me. Considering the wide range of cardiovascular related death that can happen as a result--all the while feeling perfectly fine--has really inspired me to take it more seriously and keep it under control. It really isn't about a DOT card. It's about reducing the risk of a debilitating stroke or massive heart attack. Am I being an alarmist? Maybe. But I've know for 30 years that I was borderline hypertensive and didn't do anything about it. Not rolling the dice anymore.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Keep in mind that the 90 day card is a one time thing. If you have a problem the next time you go in, it a suspension until you get your meds adjusted (in my case) It took about a week and a half for me. I was able to use vacation days during this time.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember one time I was so fed up with the company that I wanted to fail so I could get a few days off. I did everything under the sun to get my BP up but no luck. Back to work I went.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I remember one time I was so fed up with the company that I wanted to fail so I could get a few days off. I did everything under the sun to get my BP up but no luck. Back to work I went.
All you had to do was mess up on the eye chart. Not that I've ever done that.