BO problems

Mike Hawk

So there are 2 employees at my center that have issues with taking a shower every day. It is really disgusting being within 8 feet of them, makes me want to throw up. My supes claim their hands are tied on this issue.

What can be done about this? Having to work with them boarders on cruel and unusual punishment.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
MIKEHAWK refuse to work near them .its a health issue!! we had a problem like this years ago in Boston.. This guy had a fear of water [kid you not] he was filthy and never changed his clothes ,on top of that he would get out by 8 am and drink all day!! if he was in the nose of a 48 footer in January ,you still could smell him...The pre/load mgr finaly took him aside and talked with him and actually got him some help!! he came back about a week later and was much better!! still will never be on cover of GQ but C/m did a great thing for him and all of us.. talk to your Pre/load mgr... good luck

browniehound

So there are 2 employees at my center that have issues with taking a shower every day. It is really disgusting being within 8 feet of them, makes me want to throw up. My supes claim their hands are tied on this issue.

What can be done about this? Having to work with them boarders on cruel and unusual punishment.

Mike,
Have you tried telling them that they stink? I know this is easier said than done but it may be the only solution. Perhaps they don't know that they stink?

I can understand the sups. position on the issue. You can't ask him to do something you aren't willing to do youself. Can you?

UPS has appearence guidlines but there is no mention of stink in the rules. So it looks like you can smell anyway you want while working at UPS.

If I was the employee you had a stink problem with I would hope that you would let me know about my problem. Sometimes people can't smell themeselves. I would want to know ASAP if my odor was offensive. I think most people would.

You can't say it to my face? I understand. Write me a note and leave it on my winshield, desk, computer monitor, etc. Send an anoynmous email to me. Just let me know anyway you can!

Mike Hawk

Oh they know all right, one employee brought in one of those scented trees you hang in your car and hung it near his work area, didn't go so well. There is only so far you can go in telling someone they smell like poo before it gets offensive to them at which point you get in trouble.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Bring in an extra large can of air freshener. Or febreeze. Start spraying everywhere when you are forced to work near them. if they say anything, tell them it's your right to spray just like it's their right not to bathe and utilize proper hygene. If the sups have a problem with it, then you should tell them that if you can't spray something or adjust the air quality, you refuse to work in that area.

over9five

Staff member
People with bad breath don't know they have it. I've had to literally back away from certain people. Why can't they smell their own breath???

Channahon

You may want to approach the employees and ask if they have another job, before coming to UPS. At least, you can start a conversation, and give them the opportunity to give a reason for their body odor.

That in itself, may make them think, why would you ask that type of question and they might figure out on their own they need to address their personal hygiene issues.

Unfortunately, the issue is not in the contract, is not a UPS safety issue, so someone has to make the employee aware of their offensive odor. More often than not, a UPS management person will take an employee aside, and discuss the delicate (no pun intended) situation.

I can't understand why anyone would not practice good personal hygiene, as there is no personal satisfaction or self respect in being offensive to others, be it at work or anywhere else.

rod

Retired 22 years
Although everyone can get a little "ripe" every once in awhile I don't know what can be done in this "nothing is my fault" society of today. I know what used to happen when I was in the Army-it was called a GI party and you didn't want to be on the receiving end of it.:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Mike, here's how you do the job. Inform said people of their odorous situation. Let them know flat out, without sarcasm, that it is really hard to be anywhere's near them. Use compassion, i.e, what if you smelled like them? How would you want to be treated/talked to? If necessary, bring another person with you to confirm what you are saying. If this fails to help the situation, then they are aware of the problem they are creating and really don't care.

Now, tell your supe that you have spoken with the "offending" party/s and have been rebuffed, no pun intended. Express to your supe the extreme nature of this situation. If necessary, have the supe work with the offending individuals for confirmation of the problem. Let the supe figure out how to handle the problem from there. I'm sure that something will be worked out.

If this doesn't work. As a last resort I suggest that you and your fellow workers stop washing as well. Inform the offending individuals that they win and you want to join their club....LOL That last part was really tongue in cheek.:wink2:

We called that a "Blanket Party", in the Navy, Rod.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I eat Activa yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast and take Metamucil 3 times a day and try to eat a lot of fiber. Works for me!

Wait that's a BM problem...Never mind.

browndevil

Oh that BO. I thought this was gonna be another Barack Obama thread:wink2:

Big thing on this, be careful when you bring up the situation to try and avoid a sticky situation. This type of situation came up at my hub, the stinky individual was approached in a polite manner, and was talking on how he had fealt harassment. The resolution, although not the way I would have liked to see it handeled, ended up with a supervisor that always put the individual in a unload trailor by themself at the end of the area.

drewed

Shankman
one of our managers told us about a similar situation he had when he was a new sup, he talked to the guy about it and the guy actually had been kicked out of his house by his wife and had been living out of his car. they got him to go to a shelter so he could get some food and a hot shower and everyone lived happily ever after..

so in my mind the sup should handle it