Bonus Babies: You are ruining UPS!

Overpaid Union Thug

Bonus babies are ruining our center. Management wants to cut routes and work everyone 9.5+ hours daily and you greedy fools are making it easier for them to do so. When you run and work through your lunch (EVEN IF JUST PART OF YOUR LUNCH!) in order to get done early and make more bonus you are actually bringing the amount of stops your routes, or the routes you run, need to plan down. PLEASE STOP!

Its so bad in our center that many drivers will hover around the OMS after they clock out and wait for them to upload the OR so they can see "how they did" and some even call the center later after they are home to get the same info. Pretty bad huh? The funny thing is that most of these bonus drivers are the same ones that will complain when their routes get "extra" work added to them. GEE! I wonder why thats happening???

browniehound

But they get a nice fat paycheck!

Thats what I was thinking. I don't work in a bonus center and really don't know how it works. I know it sucks sometimes, but you(I) get paid by the hour. At somtime around 10 hours I simply don't care. I'm tired and working slow and I don't care. They can't expect us to work as fast at 7pm as we were at 9 am, but they do! You need to maintain you're SPORH!, lol.

Paid by the hour. $45 bucks/hour after 8 hours. You just have to think of it that way to keep you going. It would take an entire Saturday working at the Home Depot to make the money in the 2-3 hours I make after 8 hours at UPS.

And when you think about it, the hard part of the day is over by 1900 hours. There is no bulk and ringing dock buzzers and waiting for signatures. You are delivering QVC, HSN, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc. for $45/hour.

Its not so bad if you think of it this way. I know its kind of wierd that your wife and child are in bed and your dinner is cold and 4 hours old when you get home! Its the life we chose I guess?

These so called bonus babies...They sound like the fat cats of UPS...I wish I could work in a bonus center.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thats what I was thinking. I don't work in a bonus center and really don't know how it works. I know it sucks sometimes, but you(I) get paid by the hour. At somtime around 10 hours I simply don't care. I'm tired and working slow and I don't care. They can't expect us to work as fast at 7pm as we were at 9 am, but they do! You need to maintain you're SPORH!, lol.

Paid by the hour. $45 bucks/hour after 8 hours. You just have to think of it that way to keep you going. It would take an entire Saturday working at the Home Depot to make the money in the 2-3 hours I make after 8 hours at UPS.

And when you think about it, the hard part of the day is over by 1900 hours. There is no bulk and ringing dock buzzers and waiting for signatures. You are delivering QVC, HSN, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc. for $45/hour.

Its not so bad if you think of it this way. I know its kind of wierd that your wife and child are in bed and your dinner is cold and 4 hours old when you get home! Its the life we chose I guess?

If everyone is getting ******, sure. However, when the steward gets three 8 hour requests a weeK for "good behaviour" ( you probably know which one I am talking about), I would be a bit bull**** over it personally.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Something to to keep in mind about bonus is that the hours don't count toward your pension or health plan contributions. If you skip your hour lunch and run an hour bonus, your paycheck may look the same but in reality you are getting paid less. Skip your lunch every day and you end up shorting yourself 250 hours a year of pension credit. And remember you actually worked those hours, you're just not going to get credit for them because you're giving them away to the same company that will charge you with an accident for breaking a 3 dollar mirror.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Something to to keep in mind about bonus is that the hours don't count toward your pension or health plan contributions. If you skip your hour lunch and run an hour bonus, your paycheck may look the same but in reality you are getting paid less. Skip your lunch every day and you end up shorting yourself 250 hours a year of pension credit.

Jones, we don't have bonus in my center, but I think this may apply. We have a driver who averages 6-6.5 hours worked per day. He still gets his guarantee but I am curious if this will hurt him in regards to his pension. Our paychecks have been adjusted to breakdown hours worked and guarantee pay.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Something to to keep in mind about bonus is that the hours don't count toward your pension or health plan contributions. If you skip your hour lunch and run an hour bonus, your paycheck may look the same but in reality you are getting paid less. Skip your lunch every day and you end up shorting yourself 250 hours a year of pension credit. And remember you actually worked those hours, you're just not going to get credit for them because you're giving them away to the same company that will charge you with an accident for breaking a 3 dollar mirror.

If I work one minute my health and pension are paid for the week. I make bonus every day but I still work close to 9 on the clock. I would think the 8 hour gaurantee would mean you get credit for 8 even if you work 6.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Hours have no effect on my benefits. If I work one minute my health and pension are paid for the week.
Are you sure about that? The company making a weekly payment into the fund on your behalf and you getting pension/benefit credit for hours worked are not necessarily the same thing. Try working one minute a week for a couple weeks and see what happens. I bet you will be getting a COBRA notice in the mail. And I bet if you did that for 30 years you would find that your pension was a lot less, if you got anything at all.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones, we don't have bonus in my center, but I think this may apply. We have a driver who averages 6-6.5 hours worked per day. He still gets his guarantee but I am curious if this will hurt him in regards to his pension. Our paychecks have been adjusted to breakdown hours worked and guarantee pay.
I'm pretty sure it will hurt him. The company wouldn't go to the trouble of breaking it down that way if there wasn't some benefit to them. I'm guessing they are only making contributions on actual hours worked.

tieguy

Banned

jonesy don't you have a cap on hours anyway?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
But they get a nice fat paycheck!
Not really, considering overtime is the higher payout.

Your Wife may also be "cold" if she's been waiting that long.:wink2:

+1

I'm in a bonus center and used to do quite well, till my time allowance went away. Bonus is good, as a plus, but I'm not skipping my lunch or running for that little bit of change.

tieguy

Banned
personally I always thou0ght an hour lunch was such a long time. I think those locals that negotiated the option to take 30 minutes had it right.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

If I work one minute my health and pension are paid for the week. I make bonus every day but I still work close to 9 on the clock. I would think the 8 hour gaurantee would mean you get credit for 8 even if you work 6.

Not so, your haelth care is paid, but your retirement benefits are based upon hours worked for the year. And no the guaranteed hrs do not count towards it, only actual hours worked. Thatt is excactly why they changed the paystubs to break it down.

grgrcr88

Are you sure about that? The company making a weekly payment into the fund on your behalf and you getting pension/benefit credit for hours worked are not necessarily the same thing. Try working one minute a week for a couple weeks and see what happens. I bet you will be getting a COBRA notice in the mail. And I bet if you did that for 30 years you would find that your pension was a lot less, if you got anything at all.

No, he is correct, if you work at all in a week your health care is paid for the week, on the same token if you are "laid off" for a week and put in no time you have no health care for that week. That does not include vacation time as the healt and welfare and pension are included in the vacation package.

grgrcr88

personally I always thou0ght an hour lunch was such a long time. I think those locals that negotiated the option to take 30 minutes had it right.

In some states you do not have the choice as it is mandated to take a full hour, state law always supercedes the contract in theses cases. Although usually the local suplement is in line with state laws.