Bonus centers?

bokitch

Just wondering how many centers out there are still bonus centers? We have bonus but I look every morning at the (OR) and there is only 3-4 that still bonus. It is possible to bonus on my route, I did it a few weeks ago and bonused by 164 but that was running every stop from air in the morning till the last stop 158 stops later. I had an event that I was taking my daughter to that night and did not get the 8 hour day I requested. And we are required to take lunch (diad lunch software) so no work off the clock.

We are on PAS now and that seemed to take the last of the bonus away,they will time study this spring and I'm sure the few that have bonus everyday will lose it.

the only way to get bonus here is to run allday long and skip your lunch and have like 175 stps so it worth it?

UPSwannaB

not yet worthy
I feel stupid asking this, but I'm curious, what exactly is a bonus center? Is it just an extra stop where you get more packages to deliver on a route or something?

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Actually, I do get paid more for pulling a TP60. Funny thing, most guys feel I'm not paid enough extra for pulling it (like $0.30 an hour, may be a quarter). I tow trailers (boats, utility, or horse) almost every weekend. It's too easy for me to hitch it up and tow it out. So no biggie for me. I do get paid more, and it does add up (though some don't think it will, but it truly does).

A bonus center is one where when you are sent out with a "planned day", if you deliver it quicker then that "planned time" you get paid for the full day. Say you go out with a 9.5 day. You deliver it in 8.1. You still get paid for a 9.5 hour day. Only drawback, you are paid straight time for the 9.5. Where if you worked the full 9.5, it would be 8 hours of straight time and 1.5 hours over OT. Which adds up over a year. So depends on what you want, home earlier or the $$$$.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's where you're wrong my friend. Bonus pay is time and a half just like overtime.

Actually, it depends on what area of the country you're in. Here in the Atlantic Area bonus is paid at the same rate as overtime, but there are places where it is paid straight time.

Overpaid Union Thug

Bonus Centers are not a good idea. It encourages drivers to cut corners and work unsafely. I've heard drivers say they had up to eleven hours of bonus in one week. It's just another way to get more work out of drivers. If all the drivers in any given center would do their jobs correctly I'm sure a route would eventually be added because there would be too many over 9.5s.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Bonus appears to be a bad idea only to those that don't make bonus. By the way, it's not really a bonus. You don't get paid more for being quicker, more efficient, talking less, sorting less, etc. You simply get paid the same but are done sooner.

Griff

Bonus is 85% route/time study and 15% work ethic. There is routes in our building that literally cannot be run scratch and there are routes that run bonus regardless of who is working it. Running and cutting corners really doesn't save as much time as people think. Most people who get bonus are runners but they would still make bonus without doing it.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Brownmonster, we are paid at straight time for our bonus at our center(I've been doing this 18 years, so know it's straight time).

Actually, we used to be fat on bonus. So yes, we ARE paid bonus. You didn't have to go super fast or cut corners to bonus. A good solid work schedule (that included sorting and the likes) and you could get 40 minutes to 1.5 hours bonus a day. Now, that's all gone. I'd say working at same rate I am now (which I did back then) and being paid to drive home and eat dinner would be considered a bonus (plus I was making an hour or so OT a day on top of that). Now it's virtually impossible to get it. Only guys who can get bonus bust their hump all day for 15 minutes of bonus (not worth it). A few that do get it easily are the guys who take ferries (deliver the Puget Sound region, so some of us must take a ferry to get to the remote bridgless islands). Paid time to sit on a ferry and get bonus on top of it. But mostly the rookies are bonusing, and they're literally killing themselves to do it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My bonus has gone down about an hour a day and stops, pieces and pickups have gone up since 5.8 and pas. I still make an hour plus a day and thats with a 15 minute lunch. I agree all routes are diff. and some have been killed on time, so I silently make my money. Why would bonus be straight time in some areas and not others? It can't be a contract thing because the union doesn't recognize standards or bonus. I kind of like the challange of a heavy load in some sadistic way and I like the extra cash for getting it done. Too bad I'm married with children so the wallet is still empty! If I ever get nicked on a time study(don't get me wrong, it's not a gravy run) I'll bid on a country route and have lunch at the mom and pop diner. BM

ups79

steelheader-your bonus might have been straight time but the center I worked out of was time and 1/2 after 8 for the day.

Megansman

OK, I'll try to put some numbers on this thing and see if anyone else thinks the system is rigged for some and not for others... and just to add a bit of fuel to that fire, notice Tie Guy and the rest of mgmt aren't responding here...

Two residential routes Route A has 170 stops, 92 miles, 211 pieces, 4 on route pick ups, 2 pieces picked up done in 7.73 hours Paid bonus 2.41 hours

Route B has 164 stops 71 miles 197 pieces, 17 pick ups 70 pieces picked up done in 8.35 hours Paid bonus .60 hours.

Is it just me or is B getting the shaft?

ups79

I would say route B is dr'd a lot more than route A. Do you think maybe route A is obtaining signatures even though it is not necessary(thus boosting his dispatch)? I believe the driver on route A is falsifing his allowances by getting signatures when they are not needed. He might even be signing the board for resi. stops even though he is dr'ing the packages. Maybe a supervisor should ride with to see if the percent of dr's change.

rocket88

I would say route B is dr'd a lot more than route A. Do you think maybe route A is obtaining signatures even though it is not necessary(thus boosting his dispatch)? I believe the driver on route A is falsifing his allowances by getting signatures when they are not needed. He might even be signing the board for resi. stops even though he is dr'ing the packages. Maybe a supervisor should ride with to see if the percent of dr's change.

Not necessary according to who? The same L.P. guy who will try to payroll deduct on a DR claim. No thanks, I'll get the signature,especially during good weather when the customer meets you at the yard or garage or is washing the car when I pull up. Or in those housing developments where there are boatloads of kids everywhere.Granted most of the time it's no big deal. DR mcm, but if I have medicine and she is standing right there saying hello to me,I get a signature. If I have a BOSE wave radio(retail about $500 bucks,) and the customer is standing in the garage,I get a signature. Same is true for any number of expensive or valuable merchandise. Been burned on that a few times where it was DR MCM only to get a claim od non-receipt. Then come to find out it's a "blended household" with adult children and step children and adopted children all living there with Grandma and all with different last names. If the customer is right there speaking to me as I come up the drive I get a signature. However, I do not get signatures for every customer who is in the driveway or door as I hand them their $20 J.C.Penney blouse or pair of slacks. Believe me, this cuts way back on claims and saves me tons of headaches in the long run. Bonus Schmonus! If I work 10 I get paid 10. Fine by me.

ups79

You might be a rocket, but you are not working properly. Unless it says signature required, you are to dr. at all resi. when meeting customer. If they aren't at home do you dr that Bose or take it back as a NI1 or better yet spend the time to indirect?

jware

Dont know about your center, but here in Lenexa Ks. we get paid time and a half for our bonus time. Cant see why anyone would try to bonus if they werent getting paid to do it.

Overpaid Union Thug

Bonus appears to be a bad idea only to those that don't make bonus. By the way, it's not really a bonus. You don't get paid more for being quicker, more efficient, talking less, sorting less, etc. You simply get paid the same but are done sooner.

I don't make bonus but it's not becaue of I'm incapable. It's becaue I'm not full-time. It is really a bonus. You are getting paid for time you didn't actually work. Plain and simple.

rocket88

You might be a rocket, but you are not working properly. Unless it says signature required, you are to dr. at all resi. when meeting customer. If they aren't at home do you dr that Bose or take it back as a NI1 or better yet spend the time to indirect?

rocket88 or Rocket as you call me has nothing to do with my work pace and everything to do with Ian Stewart and Ian MacClagin and my love for the "ivories" All 88 of them.
As for the example of the Bose Wave radio, if no one is readily available and most of the time they are not, and it is a "good DR" then of course I DR it. Around the back of the house,in a release bag, then come back around front an leave a note and scan it,just like the methods say. BTW your are incorrect about DR ing everything. That is my call. Since I am held responsible for it, and I am the 1st 1 LP looks at in case of a claim, you can believe that when I deliver that BOSE system 48 Home theater system,(retail about $2,800) to a vacant house or they are in the process of moving in and the box is without a "SIGNATURE REQUIRED" sticker on it or built into the barcode, you better believe I get a signature. Not every single time mind you. I used they example of J.C. Penney slacks or a blouse. But if it clearly valuable and clearly high dollar and I meet the customer, I get a signature. Like I explained, I have gotten burned by adult children who stay with "mom" a few days a week along with their kids, that I DR 'd MCM only to have "mom" claim that she never got it and besides no one but her lives there. LP tried to make me pay for that one via payroll deduct, after a lengthy grievance proceedure and much hard feelings LP dropped it,but it left a bad taste in my mouth and a hard lesson learned. As I stated above,if it is clearly valuable and clearly high dollar and I happen to meet the customer at the door or in the driveway I get a signature. If they are not there and I am not comfortable DR ing the pkg. NI1 and try again tomorrow. And yes I have been approached by mgt. about my send agains, I have them review my claims picture, guess what? I don't get hardly any all, maybe 2 a year(tons more when I am on vacation) and those 2 are usually for $20 dollar J.C. Penney slacks. Less than 100 bucks,there fore I am off the hook to LP. I follow the methods. 21 years so I must be doing something right out there on the route. Do the job right. Follow the methods and dont screw around out there and give your best effort everyday and you'll be fine. I 've never seen a driver fired for running late. I have seen them fired for a whole host of other things they absolutely shouldn't have been doing, but not for "not making their numbers" or for running late.