Bonus In, Bonus Out,...Bonus In Again???

Fragile

I had never heard of bonus until I joined this forum. In fact it took me a long time to actually understand the concept.

Feel sorry for the idiots who ran "bonus" by doing unrealistically amounts of work unsafely and unethically. I'm sure they'll be expected by management to do the same amount of work now without enjoying their bonus pay.

By The Book

People who do that will do that regardless if bonus is there or not. I suspect that the reason that your group is trying to get it back is because they have lost a lot of money because they are still getting in a the same time, but not getting the money for their work.

I have talked to people after a time study, and they were complaining about losing1/2 hour or so, but he said that he wasn't going any slower, he was just going to get paid less. Same concept as losing bonus.
I agree with all of your post, except the part where they are still getting in at the same time, but not getting the money for their work. They were paid for all their work....

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree with all of your post, except the part where they are still getting in at the same time, but not getting the money for their work. They were paid for all their work....

The problem is that many people start to feel entitled to bonus. So, they freak out when the time allowances are adjusted to their work habits and they can no longer earn bonus. Then they start looking for ways to get more miles. That's when they start wanting UPS to pay them to drive over to the other side of their route for a pickup instead paying another driver that is already in the area to make it. And they want the PDS to cut their slower residential work (apartments) off and stick it to that same other driver so they can go make that pickup instead. And they also start going over other driver's operational reports with a magnifying glass out of jealousy to see who is getting more miles than them. These things are signs that bonus needs to go.

By The Book

The problem is that many people start to feel entitled to bonus. So, they freak out when the time allowances are adjusted to their work habits and they can no longer earn bonus. Then they start looking for ways to get more miles. That's when they start wanting UPS to pay them to drive over to the other side of their route for a pickup instead paying another driver that is already in the area to make it. And they want the PDS to cut their slower residential work (apartments) off and stick it to that same other driver so they can go make that pickup instead. And they also start going over other driver's operational reports with a magnifying glass out of jealousy to see who is getting more miles than them. These things are signs that bonus needs to go.
In @Bubblehead, they are sort hitting the reset button and now the guys who show an hour late on paper get some redemption in a way. I'm talking about routes that are clearly off and never got that fair allowance. Now, it's just the company's numbers so actual hours worked is actual hours paid. I get it that there are some drivers who do bust it more than the next guy, and they did deserve some of the bonus they got. I've advocated for a bonus system that is divided amongst all drivers for the day that way all drivers reap the rewards. Well that's not going to happen in my career, maybe it can be negotiated in local supplements in upcoming contract negotiations.

Overpaid Union Thug

In @Bubblehead, they are sort hitting the reset button and now the guys who show an hour late on paper get some redemption in a way. I'm talking about routes that are clearly off and never got that fair allowance. Now, it's just the company's numbers so actual hours worked is actual hours paid. I get it that there are some drivers who do bust it more than the next guy, and they did deserve some of the bonus they got. I've advocated for a bonus system that is divided amongst all drivers for the day that way all drivers reap the rewards. Well that's not going to happen in my career, maybe it can be negotiated in local supplements in upcoming contract negotiations.

Even if all routes were created equal bonus would still be a source of jealousy. Plus, and this is a biggie.....if they were all timed fairly then the only way for a driver to make anything more than chump change in bonus would be to run and skip their lunches. So, no matter how you slice it bonus is nothing but a troublesome scam that needs to be banned nationally. The only real bonus is overtime.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You are a valued member of this forum @BigUnionGuy.

2czbo8l.jpg

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Are you suggesting that we bargain collectively?

542thruNthru

Even if all routes were created equal bonus would still be a source of jealousy. Plus, and this is a biggie.....if they were all timed fairly then the only way for a driver to make anything more than chump change in bonus would be to run and skip their lunches. So, no matter how you slice it bonus is nothing but a troublesome scam that needs to be banned nationally. The only real bonus is overtime.

Not saying I disagree bonus should be banned but my center has always had bonus and I never see any of the things you discribe. We have runners but every center does. Bonus could be gone tomorrow I wouldn't care. I don't think it will ever happen in my local though.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not saying I disagree bonus should be banned but my center has always had bonus and I never see any of the things you discribe. We have runners but every center does. Bonus could be gone tomorrow I wouldn't care. I don't think it will ever happen in my local though.
As a "driver" in a bonus center, how can you say "I never see"???

...how could you???

~Bbbl~

10 point

As a "driver" in a bonus center, how can you say "I never see"???

...how could you???

~Bbbl~
Heck, the management "sees" and turns their heads.

We had a driver that was taken out of service three times for not wearing a seat belt because he was trying to run under scratch to impress management.

Today he's a FT on car supe.

Management has double standards and that's the standards we do recognize.

Last edited:

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Heck, the management "sees" and turns their heads.

We had a driver that was taken out of service three times for not wearing a seat belt because he was trying to run under scratch to impress management.

Today he's a FT on car supe.

Management has double standards and that's the standards we do recognize.
In my bldg everyone in management and on the safety committee are surprised we failed the safety audit........and they get mad at me when I say it's because management doesn't care about safety only production