Bonus?

U

ups_vette

ups gal...

I'm sure in your "15" years Bonus was explained to you, However there are some people who can not grasp the concept, you may possibly be one of those people where it's beyond their power to understand the complexities of and reasons for the system.

Bonus is not designed, nor should it be, to reward everyone. It is a system that rewards ABOVE AVERAGE performance. I know it must be quite a shock to your ego to realize that evidently, you are NOT above average.

If you mean I must be a "company man" by my 32 years as a driver (6 years), supervisor (2 years), and manager (24 years), you are correct. However, if you're of the impression I think the "company" can do no wrong, you are terribly mistaken. There have been many instances where individual supervisors and managers have done injustices to hourly employees. In several of those cases, where I had the authority to correct the injustice, it was corrected.

In the collective bargaining system at UPS, above average performance can not be rewarded. The Union mindset does not allow for individual achievment, mistakenly believing everyone is equal. Surely even you must realize that is false, yet you go along with it for whatever reason, be it jealousy, envey, or feelings of anger towards those who are above average.

If you think getting pickup packages back to the Center early is "BS", then you have learned nothing about the time constraints UPS is forced to work under during your "15 years" with UPS. Local Sorts finnish late, Feeders arrive late at the Hub, Hub finishes late, Feeder arrives late back at the Center, Center Sort and load finishes late, driver leave the Center late, a vicious circle. Unfortunately ups gal, you can not live in your own little world.

O

ok2bclever

I am all in favor of rewarding the "above average" worker.

The intrinsic problem is, who decides.

Well obviously it's "the boss".

That tends to get you someone with a god complex deciding who will be his "favorites" and other bad things like discrimination, nepotism and other isms.

You know the type of stuff that caused unions to be formed initially long ago beyond the simple out and out rape of the employees.

Besides, the "above average" bonus babies tend to be the selfish ones willing to most "short" their fellow employees and customers with service "short cuts".

D

dannyboy

Vette

When we voted out bonus I was the second from the top as far as bonus income. And I voted against the system, not becuase I dont believe in personal best performance (I did the same job before bonus, during bonus, and since bonus) but because of what management did with the bonus.

I guess in your little world management didnt screw around with bonus and allowed it to remain perfect.

As for your "If you think getting pickup packages back to the Center early is "BS", then you have learned nothing about the time constraints UPS is forced to work under during your "15 years" with UPS. Local Sorts finnish late, Feeders arrive late at the Hub, Hub finishes late, Feeder arrives late back at the Center, Center Sort and load finishes late, driver leave the Center late, a vicious circle. Unfortunately ups gal, you can not live in your own little world." rant, I guess I live in her little world too.

And I guess those time restraints is why they have cut back routes so far that runs have been cut out that have been in for over 15 years full time routes. We average a 10 hour day, and it is not unusual for drivers not to get home untill after dark. We expect it during the winter, but here it gets dard about 9:30ish.

So I think you are living in more of a little world than we. If it were so damned important to get loads in, why not get the drivers in in under 9 hours?

And i dont know one driver that would not love to start at 7 or 7:30AM. But all you IE guys are just to busy trying to get that last second of production out of each driver, and to do that you cut routes.

So spare me the crap, if UPS wanted all the loads to get to the centers for dispatch by 7, they would put IE on it and it would be done.
And I would bet all my stock that if it were important to get the loads in as you say, our paid day would be much less.

But they dont care, so thus we start at 9.

d

H

hr_guy

"HR-never heard of it and dont think there is any such thing. The closest thing i can think of is a paid 10 minute break but that's already figured into the standards. Think someone is pulling your leg."

Wiley...It does exist, I know some drivers who receive it...as well as my supervisor was not sure as to why I have not been receiving it. I forgot to ask the other supervisors about it today, but if/when I find out, I'll let you know.

U

ups_gal_710

Hey Vette

you just go on and live in your own little world where you can think of ways you can screw over the next person who comes in contact with you. I do forgive you for your comments because UPS was the one who trained you until they made you feel inferior. And with that inferior you have that need to always put the another person down to make yourself better.

I dont know you and for you to cast your judgement on me is very childish. I think it's your self esteem that has you on the attack. UPS is blessed to not have you with us anymore because it was company people like you who have made some drivers the way they are. How do I know you where not some little OMS that is on here speading your BS.

So you can now take my below average comments here and shove them where they need to go.

But one thing, you never answered my question as to what kind of kick-back does company people get from drivers running bonus? Just a simple question but, for some reason you did your little song and dance and never stepped up to the plate. For me I really dont care but, maybe some of these other UPSers would like to know.

Go slam your phone a few times that might make you feel like your back at UPS. Enjoy and have a nice day and remember God loves you too.

P

pretender

ups gal:

I don't know where you are from; but we have the same situation. There is a handful of drivers who are done around 4:30pm every day. What gets me is that most of them are in heavy commercial areas, where everyone around them is working late. The reason given when pressed, is that these people have full trucks. However, since I am a CPU driver, I know for a fact that one of these guys fills his truck up at an account that is later picked up with a tractor-trailer--what a waste!

Regarding getting the packages back to the center early--That is just a crock. The only thing UPS hates worse than having too many package cars on the road, is to have any CPU tractor trailers. It is common practice for us to pick up trailers from an account at 7:00pm or later, that are ready at 5:00pm or earlier. We can't be a 3 places at once. Also, is it really cheaper to have 4-5 package cars go to one stop that could be serviced with one trailer?

However, it is all a moot point--No matter if all of the packages were back to the sort early and if the Feeders left and returned on time, the morning sort would still run late. Why is it that Mondays are sometimes the worse day of the week as far as getting out on time in the morning??? There are no late Feeder drivers to blame it on...

With the exception of the present situation, I have always thought that the UPS standards were fair--In 32 years, I have never had a problem meeting or beating them. The problem is, it is never good enough--The company always wants more, and more, and more. You do them a favor one day, and the next day it is in your Diad...

D

dannyboy

The only true and fair thing about time studies is that once done, they do give you a base point to work from. In other words, if your time study has you getting beat an hour a day, then that is pretty much scratch. IF you are beating it an hour then that is pretty much scratch.

And unless the powers that be change the standards from behind the computer, it is a benchmark that each day can be judged against. As for it being under and over, that part of the time study has too many variables to matter.

d

T

toonertoo

I feel I am the above average driver, as my customers love me, I get their stuff their according to when they desire it, (if I know I have it)and I care about their small business. which is what most of my customers are, small businesses. But when that is all you have in a poverty stricken area, keeping them going keeps us going. I may be an hour late on paper, but I got it done.

O

over9five

Tooner, you must not have EDD yet. EDD will not care about your small customers. EDD only sees your "percent on trace". Your route will be set up to reduce miles, not to service anyone. "Paid over" is no longer an issue. Its all SPOHR now. If you can now do 15 an hour, EDD will want 18....

O

omegaman

Don't be suckered into believing the bonus system is fair. It is a management tactic to increase production and save money. Because of the unfair allowances most drivers can only make bonus by doing things wrong. They tease you with a carrot knowing full well that many drivers want to get home at a reasonable hour. You run all day trying to make bonus and although you get paid "dispatch", it is less than what you would have made that day if you worked at a fair and safe pace. Don't trade money and safety just to get home earlier. Don't be victims of UPS.

S

speeddemon

What EDD wants, and what EDD gets is two different things...
thumbsup.gif

T

teddyr

Bonus actually means "Bone Us". It is the carrot they dangle in front of you to squeeze as much production out of you as they can. I learned to quit chasing bonus years ago. My body thanked me for it, life was less stressful, and I made alot more money. I left pkg for feeders the day the new time allowances went into effect Nov 1st, and the few times I have had to go back it was obvious how jacked these new numbers are. There is no incentive at all to bust my ass just to run scratch. In our bldg the few areas that have generous time allowances just happen to belong to ex part-time sups. coincidence?

T

toonertoo

No we dont have edd yet. I havent even started on diad 4 yet, when I went on vaca everyone but 3 of us were on the new board. I guess its not big enough to hold all the info for the splits they give us, hehe. Or else they dont want to give it to me as they fear I will be 3 hours late the first few days. Especially with that glorious 10 minute training.

G

grspancho

time standards: stink! I would like to give keys to supervisors to do a few these routes.8 hour route on paper takes 9.5 hours to do,so we get dispatch with usually a 9hr day which means your out there for a 10 1/2 hr day. I see mangement dispatch in morning and never see them when checking out at night! they leave befor 5:00. I challenge sup. and IE to run these routes and scratch and maybe get Mike Eskew to drive a route (to busy playing golf to scratch handicap)

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
The bonus system isnt a fair system for every driver with the new time allowance. In the past two years our center voted twice on the subject. The first time before the time cut it didnt pass but, now with everyone upset about their time we voted it out. If every driver had the same time allowances it might have turned out different but, the bonus system only benfits a small group of drivers.

I know what some of you are thinking that if a driver gets out and works fast that they should be paid the bonus. Thats all good but, how many of those bonus babies forget to use their methods? (close bulk head door, turn off engine, pull truck keys, walk dont run. etc...) If I wanted I could have made bonus on my route so the voted didnt really matter to me because the bonus was never enough to cover my FULL lunch hour. One of the biggest slap in the face is when you see a hand full of drivers that clock out around 4pm while the rest of us work till 7-8pm every night. All we asked for was to make the system fair for everyone.

If your on bonus I wish you much luck but look around and ask yourself is this system (time allowance) really fair for every driver? Because one day you might change routes and be one of those drivers that have no time.
Have a good weekend.
Is that You Eddie...LOL?

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
Hey Vette

you just go on and live in your own little world where you can think of ways you can screw over the next person who comes in contact with you. I do forgive you for your comments because UPS was the one who trained you until they made you feel inferior. And with that inferior you have that need to always put the another person down to make yourself better.

I dont know you and for you to cast your judgement on me is very childish. I think it's your self esteem that has you on the attack. UPS is blessed to not have you with us anymore because it was company people like you who have made some drivers the way they are. How do I know you where not some little OMS that is on here speading your BS.

So you can now take my below average comments here and shove them where they need to go.

But one thing, you never answered my question as to what kind of kick-back does company people get from drivers running bonus? Just a simple question but, for some reason you did your little song and dance and never stepped up to the plate. For me I really dont care but, maybe some of these other UPSers would like to know.

Go slam your phone a few times that might make you feel like your back at UPS. Enjoy and have a nice day and remember God loves you too.
Its called balancing the books! You run over he runs under the center looks good on paper! I hate it too but thats the way it is. Maybe bid on a different route.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
Tooner, you must not have EDD yet. EDD will not care about your small customers. EDD only sees your "percent on trace". Your route will be set up to reduce miles, not to service anyone. "Paid over" is no longer an issue. Its all SPOHR now. If you can now do 15 an hour, EDD will want 18....
I so agree...lets ad more responsibility to the drivers every week and pay them less money. UPS is turning this into a six figure job for less than we were making 2 years ago!

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
Bonus actually means "Bone Us". It is the carrot they dangle in front of you to squeeze as much production out of you as they can. I learned to quit chasing bonus years ago. My body thanked me for it, life was less stressful, and I made alot more money. I left pkg for feeders the day the new time allowances went into effect Nov 1st, and the few times I have had to go back it was obvious how jacked these new numbers are. There is no incentive at all to bust my ass just to run scratch. In our bldg the few areas that have generous time allowances just happen to belong to ex part-time sups. coincidence?
feeder drivers are fat!