Bonus

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The building I work in isn't a "bonus" bldg, could someone explain what this is exactly. What is the "bonus" time? Is it OT? Does it condone running your lunch and breaks?
In addition to hours worked you get paid for your plan day if you run under, the amount you run under is the bonus. So you have a 9 hour plan and you finish in 8.5 you get paid 8.5 for hours worked plus .5 hours as bonus. Some areas pay bonus in straight time, some pay it as over time.

ManInBrown

Not in a bonus center but curious about what happens, when you finish and they ask you to help another driver? is the bonus based on only the work on your car? If you help someone do you not get the bonus because you worked your planned day?

That's one of the reasons I will never understand drivers working thru lunch. If you get done early enough they are just going to ask you to help someone. So not only did you shoot yourself in the foot by working thru lunch, but now you're not even getting done early which is why lunch is skipped in the first place by most

9.5er

Bonus in my center is paid as OT.

Maninbrown, If I get done early and help another driver I get credit for what ever work I take from him. So the stops I take adds to my planned day.

For the record not all people that make bonus skip lunch and run. It honestly depends on the time allowance on each route. I cover some routes that I can bonus an hour every day and other routes I run over on. I try to work at the same pace each day and don't worry about their numbers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The building I work in isn't a "bonus" bldg, could someone explain what this is exactly. What is the "bonus" time? Is it OT? Does it condone running your lunch and breaks?
Drivers are paid for their planned time or actual time, whichever is greater.
Bonus time is Planned - Actual.
OT depending on Local agreement.
It condones running over your Mom's feelings and breaking your Dad's cuervos.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Your argument is moot as you also don't get pension contributions for OT hours.
Not here. We get pension contributions for the first 2080 "covered hours"; hours worked both straight and OT, sick hours, holiday hours and vacation. Just not "bone us" hours. Those are not considered covered hours.

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Bonus isn't straight time everywhere, here it's paid at OT rate.
That's interesting, I'd never known that. What happens on a no OT day, say if you worked 7.75 with an 8.5 plan. Still all paid at OT?

MC4YOU2

It's easy to tell the union slugs in this thread! :biggrin:

Bonus is for runners and gunners who like to get through early and get paid for watching their kids play ball, eating dinner with the family or just sitting at home.
Bonus is for drivers who are either on a route with an overly generous time allowance, or are still convinced they can somehow fool the company with their corner cutting, risk taking, and poor service providing. I was once of that mindset, and really I think most all drivers have to discover this truth for themselves. You either do or not. For me, I found that as UPS continued to add more tasks the time allowance eroded and never came back. Plus, hell, I got older. That doesn't make me a slug, it makes me teachable. I simply do whatever they ask, and let the chips fall. The time allowances stimey my mgmt team here. They know full well some routes are unbeatable. They've done multiple rides and have given up. They don't even talk to those drivers about it anymore. It's all about telematics and safety.

MC4YOU2

Not in a bonus center but curious about what happens, when you finish and they ask you to help another driver? is the bonus based on only the work on your car? If you help someone do you not get the bonus because you worked your planned day?

That's one of the reasons I will never understand drivers working thru lunch. If you get done early enough they are just going to ask you to help someone. So not only did you shoot yourself in the foot by working thru lunch, but now you're not even getting done early which is why lunch is skipped in the first place by most
The other thing is, if you did skip your breaks and lunch, then have to go help someone, you're most like losing a good chunk of your bonus just getting to them and moving their stops into your car. Not a happy day for must runners.

calcio56

The other thing is, if you did skip your breaks and lunch, then have to go help someone, you're most like losing a good chunk of your bonus just getting to them and moving their stops into your car. Not a happy day for must runners.

You need to enter 2 things into the diad.

1. On the vehicle dvir screen (where we put our start/finish miles), top right of the screen is DT load and DT unload....you enter the number of packages you took/gave.

2. Other work screen. We have a code that is basically help time. Different drivers use this differently. I enter the time I completed my last stop until the time I deliver their first stop.

These two things help with bonus when helping other drivers. Your other work time will show up on the ops report, though nobody has ever given me any :censored2:. For it.

Limper

Out For Delivery
It's easy to tell the union slugs in this thread! :biggrin:

Bonus is for runners and gunners who like to get through early and get paid for watching their kids play ball, eating dinner with the family or just sitting at home.

Hoak,

I see you continue to be a grenade thrower.

Working through lunch and bonus are 2 of the most
hated and feared topics on BC.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I have not seen any bonus on my weekly Liberty Mutual checks in over two months. They must have pretty rigid allowances.

MaceFremonti

From '91 until '10 I would routinely make close to 2 hours of bonus a day (10 hour planned days) and be punched out and on my way home at 4:30. Allowences in my building started to change substantially in 2010. I went from having 10 hour planned days to being under 8 with the same amount of work or more in a year's time.....so I went to Feeders!

Now I get two hours of nap time a day instead of two hours of bonus!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Bonus was voted out in my building just before PAS rolled out. The Thought was that ups would tighten time allowances in an effort to reduce bonus utilizing PAS and voting out homies would prevent that.

Didn't work.

I voted to keep bonus.

ManInBrown

1. On the vehicle dvir screen (where we put our start/finish miles), top right of the screen is DT load and DT unload....you enter the number of packages you took/gave.

2. Other work screen. We have a code that is basically help time. Different drivers use this differently. I enter the time I completed my last stop until the time I deliver their first stop.

These two things help with bonus when helping other drivers. Your other work time will show up on the ops report, though nobody has ever given me any :censored2:. For it.

I've never heard of either of those 2 code offs. Is that a bonus center thing? We've never been told about either when taking work from other drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

I do number 1 (didn't know about 2) only for accountability purposes to cover my ass in case some desk jockey decides to take an extra look at our "performance" numbers. LOL! I would suggest that your second time that you entered for number 2 should probably be the time you pulled away from the other driver after they gave your the packages.

And I'm curious....what does the other driver (one giving the packages) code their time as? "Receiving help" LOL!

Johney

I wouldn't touch this advice without clearing it through your management team. Doing either of these in our center will at best get you pulled into the office asking why? Do it again after that? You're looking at a unpaid vacation.
Calico you do know that D/T load and D/T unload means Double Trip? Which means you returned to your center unloaded or reloaded packages there then left again. So you have to also enter ending miles and beginning mile for trip 2.Left building time again also.
Bonus, in the mid/late 90's was an awesome money maker for many(myself included), problem came when some bean counter started asking why are we paying money to drivers for time not spent here busting their balls? Solution....lets tighten up allowances and see what happens. Well we all know what happened.

Jackofalltrades

I took a lunch and still ran under 1.95 10.8 hour planned on road 7.97. 189 stops and 78 miles. I don't run my route fast for them, I run my route fast so I can tuck my kids in at night. It's for my own sanity