books/authors you like?

542thruNthru

Ok I'm not retired but I thought this might be the best place to ask this question.

I'm wondering what are some of your favorite books/authors. The reason I ask is because I find myself having trouble finding something new to read so thought I'd ask some fellow coworkers :) .

I'm open to anything. I have a very WIDE range of books I read.

Thrillers. Lee Child/Mark Greaney/James Patterson
Espionage. Vince Flynn/Ben Coes/ Tom Clancy/ Brad Thor
sci-fi. Orson Scott Card/ Douglas Preston
Fantasy. Robert Jordan/Tolkien/Terry Goodkind
That's just some of the people I read. I would like to hear about anyone you enjoy also. Im hoping for some one I haven't heard of or a series maybe. I'm sure most of you will give me the normal big names like John Grisham or Dan Brown but you never know. :)

thanks in advance :geeky:

pretzel

Ok I'm not retired but I thought this might be the best place to ask this question.

I'm wondering what are some of your favorite books/authors. The reason I ask is because I find myself having trouble finding something new to read so thought I'd ask some fellow coworkers :) .

I'm open to anything. I have a very WIDE range of books I read.

Thrillers. Lee Child/Mark Greaney/James Patterson
Espionage. Vince Flynn/Ben Coes/ Tom Clancy/ Brad Thor
sci-fi. Orson Scott Card/ Douglas Preston
Fantasy. Robert Jordan/Tolkien/Terry Goodkind
That's just some of the people I read. I would like to hear about anyone you enjoy also. Im hoping for some one I haven't heard of or a series maybe. I'm sure most of you will give me the normal big names like John Grisham or Dan Brown but you never know. :)

Author, Patrick Rothfuss. Book, Name of the Wind

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I did not see Historical Novels on your list:
James Michener can keep you busy for years
Edward Rutherford develops an family history over centuries and is very well researched.

Science fiction / Fantasy
Issac Asimov can keep you busy in Science Fiction - The Foundation Series is a great read.
Clive Barker is a trip to me - intense visual images pop into my head when reading his stuff.
Neil Gaiman is a cool read - Gothic fantasy is as good a description as any.
Frank Herbert - Dune and follow up Chronicles are good if you have not seen the movie ... still good anyway but different (David Lynch is my favorite director so the movie is good too)
Arthur C Clarke is good although not as timeless as Asimov
Robert A Heinlein is a bit of a weird dude but I like his stuff and my all time favorite science fiction novel is by him - Stranger in a strange land

If you ever need a list of Photography books, let me know. :picture:

pretzel

I did not see Historical Novels on your list:
James Michener can keep you busy for years
Edward Rutherford develops an family history over centuries and is very well researched.

Science fiction / Fantasy
Issac Asimov can keep you busy in Science Fiction - The Foundation Series is a great read.
Clive Barker is a trip to me - intense visual images pop into my head when reading his stuff.
Neil Gaiman is a cool read - Gothic fantasy is as good a description as any.
Frank Herbert - Dune and follow up Chronicles are good if you have not seen the movie ... still good anyway but different (David Lynch is my favorite director so the movie is good too)
Arthur C Clarke is good although not as timeless as Asimov
Robert A Heinlein is a bit of a weird dude but I like his stuff and my all time favorite science fiction novel is by him - Stranger in a strange land

If you ever need a list of Photography books, let me know. :picture:
Author, Patrick Rothfuss Book, Name of the Wind. You guys both need to read it you won't put put it down and you be glad there is a 2nd book. Seriously read it.

542thruNthru

Thank pretzel. I'll take a look at that series.

Ah yes Isaac Asimov and the 3 laws of robotics. I have read him but it has been awhile I might have to say hi to him again. Also Frank Herbert also was pretty good. The rest I don't believe I know so I will have to check them out. Although stranger in a strange land sounds very familiar I'm sure someone has mentioned it to me before. Thank you Hoax.

Oh and ya historical novels.......ya don't really read those :)

CharleyHustle

Just finished George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". Long read, very compelling, but to many loose ends. There are two more books yet to be written.

moreluck

golden ticket member
John Grisham........if you like lawyer/court stories. He's one of the "can't put it down" writers.

Brad Meltzer.....very similar to Grisham.

Most of Stephen King's stuff........IT.

Dan Brown
Dean Koontz
Robin Cook - medical thrillers

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Sci-Fi and Fantasy; any by David Weber, John Ringo, Larry Niven, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Robin Hobbs, David Eddings, Weis & Hickman, Robert Feist and J R R Tolkien.

over9five

Staff member
Don't go new, go back!

I'm into H.G. Wells right now. This guy is a storyteller! Read "The Time Machine". Yeah, we've all seen the old movies, but read the book.

Just started "The Island of Doctor Moreau".

oldngray

nowhere special
H.G. Wells held up a lot better over time than Jules Verne. Verne tried to be more scientific which makes his books appear a lot more dated. I tend to read more sci fi - military sci fi or alternate histories. I like most of authors Tired Driver mentioned and will add Eric Flint and Harry Turtledove to those.

542thruNthru

John Grisham........if you like lawyer/court stories. He's one of the "can't put it down" writers.

Brad Meltzer.....very similar to Grisham.

Most of Stephen King's stuff........IT.

Dan Brown
Dean Koontz
Robin Cook - medical thrillers

I've hit all of those but Robin Cook. I'll take a look. I don't think I have ever read a medical thriller.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Don't go new, go back!

I'm into H.G. Wells right now. This guy is a storyteller! Read "The Time Machine". Yeah, we've all seen the old movies, but read the book.

Is that the one where he experiments with animals and people?

542thruNthru

Don't go new, go back!

It's funny you say this. I actually just got off my Classics kick. The Time Machine is and amazing book. Also the War of the Worlds was pretty good too.

I might get attacked for this but I don't understand what all the hype was about with Moby Dick. It was soooooo drawn out! Count of Monte Cristo was good though. So Ya already went back :)

542thruNthru

H.G. Wells held up a lot better over time than Jules Verne. Verne tried to be more scientific which makes his books appear a lot more dated. I tend to read more sci fi - military sci fi or alternate histories. I like most of authors Tired Driver mentioned and will add Eric Flint and Harry Turtledove to those.

I have to agree with you on Jules Verne. I swear I had to look up a word or process he was doing almost every other page. I always tell people. Todays authors are lazy! Old school authors wrote Literature. You had to know your stuff back then.

over9five

Staff member
It's funny you say this. I actually just got off my Classics kick. The Time Machine is and amazing book. Also the War of the Worlds was pretty good too.

I might get attacked for this but I don't understand what all the hype was about with Moby Dick. It was soooooo drawn out! Count of Monte Cristo was good though. So Ya already went back :)
Agree with "Moby Dick" being drawn out, but it's a book you HAVE to read if you're into the classics.
I couldnt get into "Count" tho. Gave up after a chapter or two. It didn't catch me.

over9five

Staff member
I have to agree with you on Jules Verne. I swear I had to look up a word or process he was doing almost every other page. I always tell people. Todays authors are lazy! Old school authors wrote Literature. You had to know your stuff back then.
Have you read "The Mysterious Island"? Great book by Verne and less scientific than others by him.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When it comes to Moby Dick, the original movie with Gregory Peck is the best. When the boats leave the home docks, the old women come out to say goodbye. They are all wearing shawls and a few have BEARDS!!! Thus it rates a comedy/adventure from me.