Boosting Retirement Age and FMLA Takeaway

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Recently, we all got a nice letter telling us the retirement age had been raised to age 62 from age 60. FedEx said they were "required" to do this, but didn't bother to cite who was doing the "requiring". Odd, because if it were the SSA or some other government entity, wouldn't a corporation want to blame someone else if possible?

And, the FMLA modifications. Wow. If you have an elderly parent, a special needs child, or one of a wide variety of FMLA issues, Fred has just screwed you hard and forgot the lube.

I'm not going to elaborate, but where is the concern amongst the employee group, or do we just "know" there's nothing we can do short of a work stoppage and/or slowdown?

vantexan

Recently, we all got a nice letter telling us the retirement age had been raised to age 62 from age 60. FedEx said they were "required" to do this, but didn't bother to cite who was doing the "requiring". Odd, because if it were the SSA or some other government entity, wouldn't a corporation want to blame someone else if possible?

And, the FMLA modifications. Wow. If you have an elderly parent, a special needs child, or one of a wide variety of FMLA issues, Fred has just screwed you hard and forgot the lube.

I'm not going to elaborate, but where is the concern amongst the employee group, or do we just "know" there's nothing we can do short of a work stoppage and/or slowdown?
Exactly what does the raising from 60 to 62 affect?

bacha29

I didn't work at Express but I was just wondering. As you know 62 is the earliest you can take Social Security in a nondisability claim. I know this sounds nuts but could it be that X is using Social Security as a way to cushion against what may be reduced monthly apyments from your plan? Could it be that '"well, they will have Social Security at that age so we can reduce pension payments" is the mindset behind this action?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What do you guys get at retirement age? Are there limits on the portable pension or something?

We get something called the PPA, which is an annuity and not a defined pension plan. In other words, we fund our own "retirement", but FedEx gives you the annuity payout when you depart their employment.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I didn't work at Express but I was just wondering. As you know 62 is the earliest you can take Social Security in a nondisability claim. I know this sounds nuts but could it be that X is using Social Security as a way to cushion against what may be reduced monthly apyments from your plan? Could it be that '"well, they will have Social Security at that age so we can reduce pension payments" is the mindset behind this action?

My point is the letter Express employees received says FedEx was "required" to make these changes, but they don't mention a federal agency. Who is doing the "requiring"? One would think they would cite who directed such changes in order to deflect blame.

Last edited:

bacha29

Ask for a summary plan description. They can be long and detailed but asking for one would be a clear testament to the fact that you not the type to just go blindly along with everything they say and you might find the source that requires raising the age . If it does not provide then go back to X and ask for a copy of the amendments to the plan and you might find the source. I don't have a dog in this fight but the practice of beating people out of their full pension benefit is a practice that is out of control. I love the catch phrase they use today.........."legacy costs".

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I never got my letter.

How has Fred screwed people out of FMLA leave? I always assumed it was the law and FedEx was forced to honor it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I never got my letter.

How has Fred screwed people out of FMLA leave? I always assumed it was the law and FedEx was forced to honor it.

Maybe you tossed it. As far as I know, every Express employee received a copy in the mail.

A lot of people also aren't aware of the changes made to FMLA policy. These were not mandated by the federal government. People who have existing and/or future FMLA issues are finding out the hard way how much "FedEx Cares".

SmithBarney

I never got my letter.

No they are now taking all but one week of vacation for payment of FMLA time off.
Basically if you take time off for say FMLA(insert family issue here), you have to burn all your vacation(sans one week)
previously you could/would take your FMLA as unpaid if you chose.

They are still following the law.. what they are trying to do away with are those who may/may not be abusing the system of taking FMLA and still being able to keep vacations, thus knocking down the amount of manpower FDX has at it's disposal.

Honestly I've used FMLA once, and it was not fun taking time off with no pay, not sure who would "desire" that. yes I had the option of using my vaca weeks, but those were needed for another very important event.

This coupled with the new 45 day(disability) = lose your route BS that they just started got a bunch of attention at our STA.... Remarkably 5 senior couriers had injury/surguries the week after thanksgiving... came back roughly at day 45, Jan 4th

vantexan

Read your letter. It won't affect us, but I want to see your take on it before I comment further. I doubt most employees even bothered to read it.
I think I tossed it after reading it didn't affect my traditional pension. How is it affecting the PPP?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Whenever I pull a little envelope out of my mailbox with 'FedEx' in the upper left corner, I always imagine the words BEND OVER stamped in bold red lettering on the back.

Artee

Didn't I hear CA does not allow that FMLA change? Maybe you ought to move out of the Pacific Northwest and down into CA where you can take advantage of it.

MAKAVELI

Didn't I hear CA does not allow that FMLA change? Maybe you ought to move out of the Pacific Northwest and down into CA where you can take advantage of it.
What change are we talking about? If it's forcing us to burn all but one week of vacation, they can.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No they are now taking all but one week of vacation for payment of FMLA time off.
Basically if you take time off for say FMLA(insert family issue here), you have to burn all your vacation(sans one week)
previously you could/would take your FMLA as unpaid if you chose.

Yeah, but that's been in effect for quite a while now. A year or more, IIRC.

They are still following the law.. what they are trying to do away with are those who may/may not be abusing the system of taking FMLA and still being able to keep vacations, thus knocking down the amount of manpower FDX has at it's disposal.

We have a winner!

Sniper

FedEx is always one step ahead of the government, no matter which party is in "control". Look for the 62 SS age to be pushed up. I used FMLA in Dec 2014 to help my Mama close the last chapter of her life. My only regret was going back to work one week before she went into a spiral. If your parents are alive call them while you can.

Serf

Speaking of retirement. Does anybody actually know of any former employees that used the new PPA annuity/lump sum payment?

MAKAVELI

Maybe in your state, but not in CA. They cannot touch your vacation days in CA for FMLA.
I'm in California. Check the California website it states they can. Believe me I checked when we first heard of this change.

Last edited: