Boots for drivers

barnyard

KTM rider
I think that it is pretty funny that people that make $30+/hour thing that $100 boots are 'pretty expensive.'

I wear Whites and Danners. I pay north of $250 a pair and have them rebuilt when they need it. The shoes I have are 8 or 9 years old and the boots are 7 or 8. My shoes have all been rebuilt once and my boots have been resoled once.

I am trashing a pair of Danners this year and am thinking of replacing them with Whites as Whites are rebuildable, Danners are not. The damage on my wrecked Danners would be fixed with a rebuild if they were Whites, but Danner does not rebuild uppers. It will be about $300 for a pair of Danners, $450 for a pair of Whites. If I get 6 years out of them till a rebuild, rebuild them and get another 6 years, I feel like I am getting my money out of them.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I think that it is pretty funny that people that make $30+/hour thing that $100 boots are 'pretty expensive.'

I wear Whites and Danners. I pay north of $250 a pair and have them rebuilt when they need it. The shoes I have are 8 or 9 years old and the boots are 7 or 8. My shoes have all been rebuilt once and my boots have been resoled once.

I am trashing a pair of Danners this year and am thinking of replacing them with Whites as Whites are rebuildable, Danners are not. The damage on my wrecked Danners would be fixed with a rebuild if they were Whites, but Danner does not rebuild uppers. It will be about $300 for a pair of Danners, $450 for a pair of Whites. If I get 6 years out of them till a rebuild, rebuild them and get another 6 years, I feel like I am getting my money out of them.
Thanks for your post. Have been looking at whites websight and reviews. They look great. I'm gonna get me some. Thanks!!!

barnyard

KTM rider
I have 3 pair of the Centennial walkers for non-winter wear. I rotate them, so they have a chance to dry out. I also had them made with a boot sole, the standard gum lite sole lasts less than a month. My shoe guy ordered them up for me and when I had them rebuilt, they put the same sole back on.

Rebuilding was $149 and they replaced almost the whole shoe! Next time I have them rebuilt, I will ask for a double welt for more arch support. They already have a fairly high arch, I want higher.

I started with 2 pair and bought a 3rd when I sent the other 2 in for rebuilding. I did not know that they rebuilt shoes and was only expecting them to be gone for a week. They took 6 weeks, but it was hella worth it, I think.

Chances are, I will not have to buy another pair of shoes before I retire.

Winter boots have been an issue......

When the leather split on one of my Danners, I replaced them with Rockys. Less than a year later, I returned them and they are replacing them, because they leak. Wet feet in winter suck. Boots that last less than a year suck even more.

I will probably replace them with a pair of Whites hunters (I think that is the model. They are 600 gram Thinsulate and gore tex and do not have the tall logging heel.) At $459, I am hesitant, but if they are half as good as the Centennials, they should work out perfectly.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Okay everyone I need your help. What boots do you recommend for a UPS package car driver. My husband somehow tears his boots up all the time. I am coming to you all for help. I want to get him a nice pair of boots that will hopefully last and are comfortable on his feet. A lot of guys in his hub wear the Nike Air ACG’s but those are really hard to find locally.

No offense, but do a search about this topic. This subject has been done over and over and over and over and over...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
But since you asked, my stock answer will always be Thorogood shoes and boots. Made in Wisconsin by union workers, and they reinforce the dying idea of "American-quality."

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yes I'm sure my CPA who got us a $17,200 return last year doesn't know what he is talking about.
Disregard--I might be thinking about unreimbursed medical expenses. I emailed him to find out what he said the reason was that it hadn't been worth doing. Maybe I didn't have receipts?

Anyway, union dues, safety equipment and clothes that you can't reasonably wear in everyday life are factored in, but gas to get to work is not. From the IRS web site...
Caution:
In general, the costs of commuting between your residence and your place of business are nondeductible.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p529/ar02.html

mdnj88

New balance in spring through fall and although I wasn't a believer at first, my redwing 604 with gortex were worth every single penny this past winter. They took a beating these past 3 months and will probably need a little tlc for next year.

Rainman

Its all good.
Disregard--I might be thinking about unreimbursed medical expenses. I emailed him to find out what he said the reason was that it hadn't been worth doing. Maybe I didn't have receipts?

Anyway, union dues, safety equipment and clothes that you can't reasonably wear in everyday life are factored in, but gas to get to work is not. From the IRS web site...
Caution:
In general, the costs of commuting between your residence and your place of business are nondeductible.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p529/ar02.html
If you have a home based business you could deduct the cost of going from one job to another. I've considered doing something like that so I could expense out a lot of my fixed costs and reduce my taxes.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.