Boots for driving?

rod

Retired 22 years
This is a dumb question but do they now allow you to wear shoes that are unpolishable? Man - unshined shoes were the end of the world when I was there.:peaceful:

tourists24

This is a dumb question but do they now allow you to wear shoes that are unpolishable? Man - unshined shoes were the end of the world when I was there.:peaceful:
sometimes it becomes an issue, but like with the uniform situation (going downhill), not so much a concern anymore. Everything is about reading the reports and looking good on them

Cementups

Box Monkey
you should try shoes.com. we as UPS employees get 22% ff and free shipping if you enter thru UPSers.com. So those Ecco's can become quite a bit cheaper.

I also have bought from copshoes.com. they have a nice selection of shoes for exactly our needs. I do recommend getting a different insole though. something ore comfortable than what comes in the shoe. all the pounding you dowill make the stock insole wirht nothing within a week. I have een getting Redhead insoles from Bass Pro. really comfortable.

BURMDPsupe

I have some Bates ZR-6 E02066 6" shoes that are wonderful on my feet. I've tried well over a dozen different brands, some expensive, some cheap and the Bates are top notch.
These shoes feel like a cross between a boot and a sneaker.

M-

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Guys, I think we're all missing the point here. If the original poster is going to be a NEW driver in the age of PASS/EDD he should buy gold running shoes like the ones used by Jamacian sprinters so he can run scratch and secure his position with UPS.

browndude

Man,,, I just looked up the Ecco's and the Track II's look sweet (comfortable). The price tag said $215 though

I do a mall route and walk, walk, walk all day long. Ive never found a shoe that lasts more than a couple of months. You think these would hold up longer?
you can go thru upsers.com and get a 20% discount on ecco's if you go thru their eccousa.com website as i said they are pricey but if you do the math mine are 4 years old now so they are actually a bargain. i even wear mine on the weekends to play disc golf and also when the wife wants to go walking. they feel better to my feet and knees than anything i have ever worn.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The shoes you guys are showing him with a few exceptions are unacceptable for a driver starting out. He needs shoes that will pass muster until he gets his seniority and then he can fudge on the shoes a bit. Polishable, full leather upper, non slip soles, and ankle supported. I bought a pair of Danners. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned...and I've been using them for 5 years now, albeit only in the wet seasons. Other than that, my favorite tends to be Merrils. Check em out.

browniehound

The shoes you guys are showing him with a few exceptions are unacceptable for a driver starting out. He needs shoes that will pass muster until he gets his seniority and then he can fudge on the shoes a bit. Polishable, full leather upper, non slip soles, and ankle supported. I bought a pair of Danners. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned...and I've been using them for 5 years now, albeit only in the wet seasons. Other than that, my favorite tends to be Merrils. Check em out.

I have to agree with sort. The first thing the center manager will look at besides your face will be your shoes and he/she will look to see if they are polished.

Get something that polishes nicely. Make them look like "freaking mirrors". Once you make seniority then you can focus on comfort and I think the previous posters made some excellent recomendations.

The problem is if you showed up with that brown suede shoe (looks very comfortable) you would be sent home because you can't polish it. You don't want to be sent home in your first 30 days for not meeting the appearence standards.

Good luck in your new job. If you have any questions, post them here and I know you will recieve all the good (and bad:wink2:) advice you need.

Brownie

drewed

Shankman
So what exactly is this sport? Is it any fun? I know this trails away from the thread a bit, but I promise to buy a new pair of SHOES if you tell me.

Its golf with frisbees? lol
there are different discs (driver, midrange, putter, and some speciciality discs) and you have a tee off spot and it will show you the direction of the "hole" it is like a caged net sitting about 5 ft high about 30 inches across and just like golf you goal is to get under par....our courses here are up and down massive hills and forests

Oh and games are much more fun with a 6 pack or bottle margarittas or some sort of other cocktail in a water bottle

browndude

So what exactly is this sport? Is it any fun? I know this trails away from the thread a bit, but I promise to buy a new pair of SHOES if you tell me.
it is a frikkin blast to play. you will get addicted to it though. and yes most courses are set up thru the woods and over the hills( trees make great obstacles) we have 9 courses within a 30 mile radius with 7 being 18 holes and 1 27 hole course and 1 9 hole course. so far i have had 2 aces and numerous birdies. you should try it out it is lots of fun and also great exercise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Back when I played (1979) we actually used the flags that they use to mark the pins on golf courses for the hole, which made it really tough and the scores were really high. Of course, as long as the beer was cold we didn't really care. I like some of the changes that have been made and it does sound like a lot of fun.

Going back to the thread, don't cut corners when selecting boots to wear as you need to take care of your feet. I wear New Balance 608s during the summer (they usually last one season) and Rocky's during the winter.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Back when I played (1979) we actually used the flags that they use to mark the pins on golf courses for the hole, which made it really tough and the scores were really high. Of course, as long as the beer was cold we didn't really care. I like some of the changes that have been made and it does sound like a lot of fun.

Going back to the thread, don't cut corners when selecting boots to wear as you need to take care of your feet. I wear New Balance 608s during the summer (they usually last one season) and Rocky's during the winter.

I wore the 608's but they fit me a little funny. The Nike Air Monarchs are more comfortable on my feet and also last one season. Since we don't really have winter here, I wear sneakers all year round. Buying a couple of pair of whatever you'll be wearing comes in handy, as the turnover rate is a bit higher than the turnover for new hires. I once had a pair of all terrain Skechers that fit incredibly. I wore these things till they were falling apart. I actually still use em for yard work. The only problem with them was that they were not polishable, but no one ever said anything to me in my building.

newguy1

sorry to bring this old thread back but do the driving boots/shoes need to be polishable? after my observation run last week i quickly realized that a good comfortable boot is what i need. not any tipical working boot that i used.....but do they have to do polishable or be the normal rugged (suade?) boot material? i need to find something this weekend that isnt too expensive but durrable and something that they aren't going to tell me 'you need to change them because they aren;t polishable'....thanks guys

Cementups

Box Monkey
They are supposd to be polishable. Some of it really comes down to your management team and how particular they are. Monday go in and look at peoples feet. Ask around in your own center just don't ask managment. I can tell you wheat they will say but I think you already know that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My favorite, and I've been through many pairs, are the Loggers model by Sketchers Work. They are light weight with some ankle support as well as being waterproof. I have close to a year on the pair that I am wearing now and they are not finished yet.
76777_BLK.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My favorite, and I've been through many pairs, are the Loggers model by Sketchers Work. They are light weight with some ankle support as well as being waterproof. I have close to a year on the pair that I am wearing now and they are not finished yet.
76777_BLK.jpg

Where'd ya find this one at???