Boxing

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not a fan of boxing. Look at all the old boxers who are dealing with brain damage and dementia from years of taking shots to the head and face. There are "combative" sports such as wrestling and judo that are just as fun to watch and do not involve beating ones opponent into a bloody pulp. At the very least, I would like to see a requirement that professional boxers wear headgear like the amateurs do.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Not a fan of boxing. Look at all the old boxers who are dealing with brain damage and dementia from years of taking shots to the head and face. There are "combative" sports such as wrestling and judo that are just as fun to watch and do not involve beating ones opponent into a bloody pulp. At the very least, I would like to see a requirement that professional boxers wear headgear like the amateurs do.
Football players are involved in many class action law suits for multiple concussions........and they wear helmets.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Football players are involved in many class action law suits for multiple concussions........and they wear helmets.

If you want to reduce head injuries in football, the answer is simple; remove the face masks from the helmets.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but removing the face masks would force players to tackle properly (hit with the shoulder and wrap with the arms) instead of using the helmet as a battering ram.

You would see a few broken noses and knocked out teeth, like hockey players get, but I suspect there would be far fewer concussions.

texan

Bernard Hopkins Defeats Tavoris Cloud, Becomes Oldest Boxer To Win Major Title

box-BERNARD-HOPKINS-large570_zps3ead5e0b.jpg

NEW YORK -- Bernard Hopkins became the oldest boxer to win a major title on Saturday night, scoring
a 12-round unanimous decision over Tavoris Cloud to claim the IBF light heavyweight championship.

The 48-year-old Hopkins broke the record he set by beating Jean Pascal for the WBC light heavyweight
title on May 21, 2011.

Hopkins improved to 53-6-2 in the main event of an eight-fight card at the Barclays Center.
It was his 29th title bout. The 30-year-old Cloud fell to 19-1.
Bernard Hopkins Defeats Tavoris Cloud, Becomes Oldest Boxer To Win Major Title