Boycott !!..Drivers let's show our strength !!

BrownDead

I propose a cell phone boycott September 1st. No driver is to use his/her personal cell phone for UPS business. Communicate, and communicate effectively, only through the DIAD. Let's show some solidarity!! Who's in!!??

midwestmess

I've already told my drivers not to use their cell phones for business. If they want to contact us then they know how to do it. Just sit there and wait for the green light.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I propose a cell phone boycott September 1st. No driver is to use his/her personal cell phone for UPS business. Communicate, and communicate effectively, only through the DIAD. Let's show some solidarity!! Who's in!!??

I'll pass. I consider my cell phone to be another tool to help make my job that much easier. I have a couple of COD customers who I call ahead of time and they have their checks ready when I get there. I have a few customers who call me to get their pkgs early. I do not call pickup customers--they pay the weekly charge for me to walk in their door.

I've already told my drivers not to use their cell phones for business. If they want to contact us then they know how to do it. Just sit there and wait for the green light.

Your drivers?? Thanks, but I am an adult and don't need a fellow hourly telling me what to do. If I choose to use my cell phone to make my life a bit easier than I will.

some1else

Banned
How many work calls do you guys make a day? If i was given an allowance (even 5$) i would use mine. Since i dont get an allowance i only use it to call in 5times a year

Dragon

Package Center Manager

IF, you are using the UPS discount through your cell phone provider, please go back and tell them you would like to be charged the full rate plan. If that is what you would like to do please do not call us via your cell phone, when your power is out and you cannot make it to work, or your dog is sick and you need to be there to perform surgery on the pooch, or your water heater broke and you cannot come in because you have not showered, yet you will drive around in a 135 degree truck all day. Do not call us just to see if we had anybody extra so you did not have to drive all the way in.

Oh and one last thing. I would make sure any "important" calls you received at the center, were sent to you, via the diad of course, about 10 minutes before you hit the building.

So the moral of the story is, be carefully what you ask for.

I used all these scenario's and a few others to give the driver exactly what he asked for. :wink2:

Omega man

I'll pass. I consider my cell phone to be another tool to help make my job that much easier. I have a couple of COD customers who I call ahead of time and they have their checks ready when I get there. I have a few customers who call me to get their pkgs early. I do not call pickup customers--they pay the weekly charge for me to walk in their door.

Your drivers?? Thanks, but I am an adult and don't need a fellow hourly telling me what to do. If I choose to use my cell phone to make my life a bit easier than I will.

Using your cell phone is not part of UPS' methods. UPS tries to fire drivers who waiver from these methods. If UPS wanted us to phone customers then they would issue phones to us. Using a phone to call customers will eventually lead to misunderstandings. Most drivers are here to make a living and keep their hides out of hot water. Corner cutting like phone use and not taking lunch at the contractual time only exposes you to discipline, and hurts you in your wallet. You may be proud of yourself but your productivity at UPS is artificial because it is not based on doing the job as UPS says you are to do it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Using your cell phone is not part of UPS' methods. UPS tries to fire drivers who waiver from these methods. If UPS wanted us to phone customers then they would issue phones to us. Using a phone to call customers will eventually lead to misunderstandings. Most drivers are here to make a living and keep their hides out of hot water. Corner cutting like phone use and not taking lunch at the contractual time only exposes you to discipline, and hurts you in your wallet. You may be proud of yourself but your productivity at UPS is artificial because it is not based on doing the job as UPS says you are to do it.

Rest of post is sensible but "cell phone usage" not being in the methods is rather weak.
Last time I read them, "talking to your supervisor" was not in the methods either.
Please try again.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Ill be very carefully what i ask for.

Dragon i carefully ask you to start a pissing match with your employees and let us know how it goes.

Some1else don't get mad. The driver is asking us not to call him on his cell, I respect that. I am just informing him what the consequences will be of his "do not call me on my cell phone policy". Any personal phone calls you receive at the center are not required to be sent to you immediately, I can just write you a note and stick in your log,you can get the message when you get back.

over9five

Staff member
I hate hearing drivers complain that UPS calls them too much. How did they get your number??? You gave it to them, right?

Man up. Walk into the office Monday and tell them to stop calling you on your cell. Geez, you have caller ID. DON'T ANSWER THEM!

And, cuz I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy...

Dragon, when I signed up for my company (not manager) provided discount, it did not say I was required to use it for business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The one thing that does upset me is when the OMS gives out my personal cell phone number to a customer without asking for my permission first. The boys from the Army reserve center needed their pkgs early so they went to the center and she gave them my cell number. They then called me and we arranged a meet. I would have had no problem doing this anyway but I did tell her in no uncertain terms that she was never to do so without asking my permission first as there are certain customers who I would not do this for nor do I want them knowing my personal cell phone number.

I have a customer who asked me to give her my cover driver's cell phone number for when I go on vacation. I told her I did not feel comfortable doing that and that she should ask him for it when he is on the route. I have a good working relationship with this lady but I would not give out anyone's cell phone number without asking them first and would hope that they would show me the same courtesy.

Over is right--the 22% discount we have with Verizon is a company discount. To be fair, Dragon made some very good points in his post.

brownman15

we have a winner. in my building drivers have been disciplined for using the cell phone while not on personal time. and those drivers were talking to the center or a customer but center manager said it does not matter ups has a no cell phone policy in which you can not use your cell phone unless you are on break.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

we have a winner. in my building drivers have been disciplined for using the cell phone while not on personal time. and those drivers were talking to the center or a customer but center manager said it does not matter ups has a no cell phone policy in which you can not use your cell phone unless you are on break.

The only cell phone policy that I am aware of is the one regarding using the cell phone will you are driving and this varies from state to state; beyond that, it sounds as though your center manager may have written his own cell phone policy.

Toshiro Hitsugaya

The only cell phone policy that I am aware of is the one regarding using the cell phone will you are driving and this varies from state to state; beyond that, it sounds as though your center manager may have written his own cell phone policy.

I think this is a company wide policy as I have talked to sleeper teams that occassionaly bring my LCHKY loads down here to the NYC Metro area when they do not make the train, and its the same for them. I have heard the same from all the drivers that are not from my hub.

It is funny that this topic has been brought up because I got into an arguement with one of the FT Leads for my shift cause we had a load late that hurts his outbounds and he is telling me to call the driver and find out why he is not here. I told yeah I'll do that and risk having him get pulled over, in an accident or even lose his job cause who knows who is in the cab with him or following.

brownman15

no came from above him they are trying to do this to everybody in our district