Boycott !!..Drivers let's show our strength !!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I call pickups all the time. To be fair, I'm on a different route every day and I know which pickups I can call and which ones I have to show up to. On rural routes some of these pickups you have to call then pray they don't have anything because often times they are 20+ miles out of your way. I'm not driving 20 miles round trip to find out a pickup has nothing.

Another route has a pickups at the end of a dirt road without enough room to turn a p1 around. I'm not walking down there if I don't need to.

If I've got the extra time and will still finish early (5 ish) then yeah I'll drive to these pickups because those miles will add to my bonus.
The old, I won't/will depending on if it suits ME, eh? The problem with doing things this way is you're supposed to drive out there to the pick ups. Even Upstate says he doesn't call pick ups, because you're not giving them the service THEY PAY FOR. May I also add that you get paid to DRIVE.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The old, I won't/will depending on if it suits ME, eh?
That is the American way - do whatever is best for me as long as it does not break any rules/laws. :its_all_good:

The problem with doing things this way is you're supposed to drive out there to the pick ups. Even Upstate says he doesn't call pick ups, because you're not giving them the service THEY PAY FOR.
Get them to convert to a Smart Pickup ... these type of remote pickups is exactly why this service was created. Aren't you green ... don't you care about the environment? :sick:

May I also add that you get paid to DRIVE.
Regardless (or irregardless for More) of what you call yourself, you are not a driver but a Service Provider. :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That is the American way - do whatever is best for me as long as it does not break any rules/laws. :its_all_good:

Get them to convert to a Smart Pickup ... these type of remote pickups is exactly why this service was created. Aren't you green ... don't you care about the environment? :sick:

Regardless (or irregardless for More) of what you call yourself, you are not a driver but a Service Provider. :wink2:
Agreed, this p/u should be a smart p/u, if they don't ship stuff that much. If they don't want to be a smart p/u, the driver (service provider) should drive what ever distance they have to, to SERVICE this account. BTW, not breaking the rules/laws, does not necessarily mean that you're doing the best job. I believe someone called that way of doing things, ACCEPTABLE.:happy2:

Oh, and stop using my style!:surprised:

BrownDead

So.....how many drivers out there committed to NOT using cell phone for business today. Chime in IF you participated. I found my stops on road actually INCREASED, and my stress level was down! That whole messinging thingy through the diad IS actually pretty cool. :happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So.....how many drivers out there committed to NOT using cell phone for business today. Chime in IF you participated. I found my stops on road actually INCREASED, and my stress level was down! That whole messinging thingy through the diad IS actually pretty cool. :happy2:
Ain't it the truth?

I don't remember how long ago it was,but I had to sign a paper stating I would keep my phone in the back of my car.makes it hard for management to get ahold of you.

over9five

Staff member
I don't remember how long ago it was,but I had to sign a paper stating I would keep my phone in the back of my car.makes it hard for management to get ahold of you.

Why would you sign such a thing? It is an extra-contractual agreement, and is probably null and void. Don't just sign anything they put in front of you!

whisperingeye

I'll pass. I consider my cell phone to be another tool to help make my job that much easier. I have a couple of COD customers who I call ahead of time and they have their checks ready when I get there. I have a few customers who call me to get their pkgs early. I do not call pickup customers--they pay the weekly charge for me to walk in their door.

I've already told my drivers not to use their cell phones for business. If they want to contact us then they know how to do it. Just sit there and wait for the green light.

Your drivers?? Thanks, but I am an adult and don't need a fellow hourly telling me what to do. If I choose to use my cell phone to make my life a bit easier than I will.

Really guys?? Yeah, I use my phone to contact customers too, but I would rather not use all my minutes contacting customers to let them know I am on my way. Oh, and if they dont answer their phones again and again and again, how many more minutes are we using, and how much more are we paying out of our own pocket for business calls? I cant say exactly how many minutes I use, but some of us do not have unlimited minutes. So lets not just think about our selves here, but think as an average driver who does not have unlimited minutes on there phones. As convenient as our cell phones make our jobs, and let us work more efficiently, we should not have to pay for all of the minutes we use. BigBrown can help us out with that. Maybe just give us phones with common customers numbers programmed into them and only use them for work, I dont know. But what I do know is, that, I would rather use my minutes to call my friends and family rather than waste my minutes and end up paying overage charges speaking with customers.

A cellphone isn't required for the job and certainly isn't paid for by UPS. I have a cellphone but I have never once used it for company business -- all text messages through the DIAD. I'll never use my personal cellphone for UPS related business, that's just plain stupid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A cellphone isn't required for the job and certainly isn't paid for by UPS. I have a cellphone but I have never once used it for company business -- all text messages through the DIAD. I'll never use my personal cellphone for UPS related business, that's just plain stupid.

Yeah, you're right--working smarter, not harder has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yeah, you're right--working smarter, not harder has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

No, making sarcastic comments, in every single post is.

I received a message today to call another driver to set up a meet so that he could give me the rest of an add/cut. I answered, NO, you guys set up a time and place and send me a message. I kept delivering until it was meet time. No phone was necessary.

BrownDead

Way to go Steve, encourage other drivers to do the same. Communicating via the DIAD is the proper way. It not only provides a detailed record of conversations, it also allows the driver to continue to work without delay. Drivers do not have the time (nor given credit for) to arrange movement of add/cuts. Sounds like a dispatch problem to me. We as drivers are questioned about EVERY minute of our day, some on this site have even said supervisors were requesting they clock out to use the restroom. Upstate...do you clock out when you use the potty ?...Enough is enough. Drivers need to band together to follow the methods EXACTLY as management wishes. Cell phones are only (as they say in our PCM) a distraction.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Way to go Steve, encourage other drivers to do the same. Communicating via the DIAD is the proper way. It not only provides a detailed record of conversations, it also allows the driver to continue to work without delay. Drivers do not have the time (nor given credit for) to arrange movement of add/cuts. Sounds like a dispatch problem to me. We as drivers are questioned about EVERY minute of our day, some on this site have even said supervisors were requesting they clock out to use the restroom. Upstate...do you clock out when you use the potty ?...Enough is enough. Drivers need to band together to follow the methods EXACTLY as management wishes. Cell phones are only (as they say in our PCM) a distraction.

Cell phones used while driving are indeed a distraction and illegal in many states. Cell phones simply make me a more efficient driver. Let's takes Steve's example of meeting a driver for an add/cut. Steve would rather have the OMS set up the meet point through a series of ODS messages. I can only imagine the messages:

Steve, can you meet Dave at Taco Bell at 1500?
No, I am doing pickups--I can meet him at 1600.
He will be doing his pickups then--you need to meet him at 1500.
I can't--tell him 1600.

Do you see how inefficient that is? Now, if the OMS asks that you contact the other driver to set up a meet, you can call that person and figure out where he will be at a time that is convenient for you, meet him, take the work and be on your way. When I am asked to help out our downtown driver, I will simply call him and ask him where he will be in 5 minutes. I find him, back up to his rear bumper, we move the work, he goes on his way and I go on mine. He is not delayed nor does he have to alter his route to meet me at a specific time. I am only briefly delayed as I drive to meet him.

Most of the time I know before I leave the bldg that I will be asked to help Eddie out and will tell him that I will call him to set up the meet. The reason that the work is not moved prior to leaving the bldg is I am usually bulked out or there is not enough time to move the work prior to start time.

It is your choice as to whether you choose to use a cell phone or not. I know that I has made me more efficient.

I will tell you that there is one customer who I wish I had never given my cell phone number to. I was having lunch with my daughter in Albany yesterday and one of my customer's called. I should have just let the call go to voice mail but I answered. I knew exactly what she wanted--she wanted to know where the cover driver was. I told her that I was having lunch with my daughter and that I would see her on Monday.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I went out slammed today. I delivered as I am supposed to, exactly according to EDD. At around 1730 I get the message, "I know you're slammed, will you be able to make 9.5 or will you need help?" I send back, I am not making 9.5, do what ever you feel best. I soon receive the message that I need to give the Mall Guy 11 of my easiest stops, that I am already halfway through. I say, try again, I'm almost done with this area. At 18:45 I receive the message, Mall Guy is in already, sorry we couldn't get you help, please try to make 9.5 and be safe.

I punched out at approx. 25 minutes over 9.5. Should I have used my cell phone to respond quicker? Would that have saved me time, or them? 9.5 isn't my problem, it's there's. I delivered every pkg in the car today. Even the ones that were send agains from yesterday, when the cover driver failed to leave those pkgs at the leasing office. I wonder if that cover driver was spanked for send agains? Doubt it!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I went out slammed today. I delivered as I am supposed to, exactly according to EDD. At around 1730 I get the message, "I know you're slammed, will you be able to make 9.5 or will you need help?" I send back, I am not making 9.5, do what ever you feel best. I soon receive the message that I need to give the Mall Guy 11 of my easiest stops, that I am already halfway through. I say, try again, I'm almost done with this area. At 18:45 I receive the message, Mall Guy is in already, sorry we couldn't get you help, please try to make 9.5 and be safe.

I punched out at approx. 25 minutes over 9.5. Should I have used my cell phone to respond quicker? Would that have saved me time, or them? 9.5 isn't my problem, it's there's. I delivered every pkg in the car today. Even the ones that were send agains from yesterday, when the cover driver failed to leave those pkgs at the leasing office. I wonder if that cover driver was spanked for send agains? Doubt it!

MY HERO !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

MY HERO !!

No time for pictures?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
MY HERO !!
At 02 overallowed, that's scratch. I ran, as planned.

No time for pictures?
Speaking of pictures. The woman in the middle of this simple picture I took on May 10, 2010, died recently. She was diagnosed with cancer a month ago and died of congestive heart failure, her body overcome by the chemo. The woman on the left is her best friend, who lives right across the street. She told me yesterday that her friend had died. Tears were welling up in her eyes as she told me the story. I remembered that I took this picture, so I made a copy and left it at her door. I'm going to make a copy for the deceased woman's daughter, who also lives in the same subdivision. Pictures mean a lot, to some people. RIP

100_3343.jpg