Braces-(for backs, knees, etc)

Working4TheBene's

I could see why UPS mgmt wouldn't want the drivers to be wearing braces like the wounded working is bad PR.... but at the same time, shouldn't they put the injured driver on limited duty (limited duty meaning like working on one of the belts, small, etc...)

U

UPS Jeff

This issue has been raised numerous times in our center. Back braces/support belts were a biggie. They wanted us to wear back braces inside our shirts, long pants with knee braces or tattooes and long sleeve shirts with elbow braces or tattooes. The common solution is to do what they say inside the building and get on area and change clothes. If the division mgr. and building mgr's don't see it, then it becomes a non-issue!

Braveheart

We have a situation in our center where a driver had a work related injury a couple years ago, ended up having knee surgery and was released to work with the Doctor recommending wearing a knee brace. The guy has been wearing the brace for over 2 years and suddenly some Jerk from higher up has said that he can't wear shorts like the other drivers if he wears the brace. He has to wear long pants or go without the brace (it only hangs around 100 degrees here all summer). When they were asked if drivers wearing wrist and elbow braces had to wear long sleeves there was a lot of stuttering and stammering but no real answer. No one from management could show in writing where it says braces have to be covered up. What's next??? People that wear glasses will have to get contacts? They don't make drivers cover tatoos but they have to cover braces???? Has anyone else had to deal with any crap like this?
Sounds like this should be in next contract. Document everything, names of all drivers with ankle, elbow, knee, wrist and so on. How long have they worn theirs and file discrimination. If the managers want to push it file every single time they touch a package. If they mess up your check go for the penalties immediately. Show them you can go by the book. Catch them working people out of seniority and hammer them. OSHA, DOT, Wage and Labor, EEOC, ADA, are a good start. Sick days can be a tool. FIGHT BACK!

ups_vette

Sounds like this should be in next contract. Document everything, names of all drivers with ankle, elbow, knee, wrist and so on. How long have they worn theirs and file discrimination. If the managers want to push it file every single time they touch a package. If they mess up your check go for the penalties immediately. Show them you can go by the book. Catch them working people out of seniority and hammer them. OSHA, DOT, Wage and Labor, EEOC, ADA, are a good start. Sick days can be a tool. FIGHT BACK!

Mr Brave......If I'm not mistaken you are the one who posted that management was "nitpicking" when they went by the book, such as when a driver makes a mistake in recording a package, leaving the bulkhead open, misdelivering a package, etc. Now you are advocating the hourly employee do the same. It may cost UPS monies if a management person makes a mistake, but if the hourly makes a mistake it could mean a warining letter, then a suspension, and then discharge. Is this the enviorment you wish to work in? If so, then just make sure you are not the one making a mistake, because life will be very difficult working in such conditions.

Consider this as good advice and not a warning or threat because I've seen centers where such situations happened, and regretfully it was the hourly employee who paid the ultimate price for such behavior.

W

wonderboy

doesn't the A of HABITS stand for Athleticism?

lot's of pro atheletes wearing knee braces when they work.

Whats the problem?

wonderboy

beentheredonethat

Tieguy you are a total company man thats easy to see.The problem as I see It is the company (UPS)thinks there policeys and guidelines supercede the law.If this person has a doctors order to wear this medical device and the company has taken the proper action as to have the employee see a company doctor he the employee should not have to put up with company harasment or BS from his sup.There fore if he is getting harassed he the employee should hire an attorney.Then he more than likely won't have to worry about wearing anything.

I don't think there's any "law" (state or federal) that says people have the right to wear shorts. Neither UPS nor Tieguy is saying they can't wear knee braces. They are just saying you can't wear shorts if you have a knee brace. Similarly if you wear shorts your socks have stricter regulations then without shorts. As most of you know, you are the company to the folks out there. That's why we want you dressed properly representing a professional image.

tieguy

Banned
Hey Tieguy, I don't know what you meant by that "go back to life w/out shorts" comment. But if we all went back to the mid-90's, we would be about 30-40 stops lighter in each truck. I still don't know if I would give up shorts for that.

how do you figure.? fact is the company sets the standards no matter how much you want to fool yourself into believing otherwise.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy,
Are you for real? You have obviously forgotten how demanding this job is on our bodies.

No I didn't and your point is totally out in leftfield. there are many companies asking a lot more of their people and for a lot less.

This guy was hurt on UPS's dime. His Dr. is recommending that he wear this brace because he knows how brutal this job.

Ok so if your point is valid then your guy goes out on either workmans comp or disability in which case we don't have to worry about him wearing a knee brace. However if he wants to wear a knee brace we alllow him to do so as long as he wears long pants. Problem solved and our requirements meet ADA's reasonable accomadation guidelines. so whats the problem?

He doesn't want to see this guy go through another operation in a year or two. A brace of any type is simply an aid to make it easier for someone to do the job. How can you compare wearing a brace to that of an offensive t-shirt or open toed shoes.

Its real easy you folks are trying to subvert the companies right to having setting uniform appearance guidelines.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy you are a total company man thats easy to see.

If so then you are the idiot that thinks you will somehow tell the company what you will wear and that they better like it. that mindset will get you in trouble.

he problem as I see It is the company (UPS)thinks there policeys and guidelines supercede the law.

Not all . allowing knee braces with long pants is a valid reasonable accomadation. thus the law has been adequately satisfied.

If this person has a doctors order to wear this medical device

Only with shorts. I don't think so.

and the company has taken the proper action as to have the employee see a company doctor he the employee should not have to put up with company harasment or BS from his sup.T

Now you're trying to boss the boss. bossing the boss gets you in trouble. the boss will let you wear the brace as long as you cover it up with the long pants. the boss is being very reasonable with this minor concession.

here fore if he is getting harassed he the employee should hire an attorney.Then he more than likely won't have to worry about wearing anything.

and waste his money on an attorney who says there is nothing I can do the company is being very reasonable on this issue.Nice try go back to go do not collect 200 dollars.

tieguy

Banned
I think it is an ADA issue. The company is discriminating against this injured employee by not allowing him to wear shorts in 100 degree weather.

Geez! At least he's still working! What a bunch of lowlifes he works for.

It is an ADA issue and allowing braces with long pants is a reasonable accomadation. You guys need to do your homework before you try to throw these phrases out. I am enjoying this debate because I understand the ada very well. Its not a law to allow you to do wtfyp its a law to allow you to work with reasonable accomadation on the part of the employer. allowing braces with long pants has stood the test of the courts in the 14 years that ada has been law. I know ada , I lived ada.

Megansman

OK, so the guy should wear long pants to cover it up... that's reasonable, so why did management cave on the tattoo thing? Or beards for religious reasons? I seem to recall signing a paper that said I understood the dress code, hair regulations and such... and now tats are suddenly ok, beards, what's next?

beentheredonethat

OK, so the guy should wear long pants to cover it up... that's reasonable, so why did management cave on the tattoo thing? Or beards for religious reasons? I seem to recall signing a paper that said I understood the dress code, hair regulations and such... and now tats are suddenly ok, beards, what's next?
UPS allows beards for religous reasons because the law demands we do this.

tieguy

Banned

my point from a previous post. We do a poor job of applying a uniform policy. If the first poster wants to wear shorts and braces the best thing he/she can do is to wait for our eventual errosion of application.

Megansman

I understand the religious aspect, that being said, I would not expect a Jewish person for example to become a Saturday air driver and then not show up for religious reasons.

When I was in the Marine Corps we had a guy who tried to take advantage of this -- took all the Jewish holidays off but then was surprised when he had to work Christmas day...

If your religion forbids you to shave, don't take a job where beards aren't allowed. If your religion forbids you work Saturday or Sunday or alternating Tuesdays, don't take a job that requires working those days. How about if your religion requires the wearing of elbow braces?

tieguy

Banned
I understand the religious aspect, that being said, I would not expect a Jewish person for example to become a Saturday air driver and then not show up for religious reasons.

If your religion forbids you to shave, don't take a job where beards aren't allowed. If your religion forbids you work Saturday or Sunday or alternating Tuesdays, don't take a job that requires working those days. How about if your religion requires the wearing of elbow braces?

Great point. The problem is we don't want to piss off any potential customers. So we will bow down to these different groups.

over9five

Staff member
"..allowing braces with long pants is a reasonable accomadation."

UPS may say they want you to wear long pants to present a good image, but I think they do it because they can. That driver had the audacity to go on comp. Now we will make his work life as unpleasant as we can! We'll make him wear lond pants over an already hot brace, and punish him good! WE'LL SHOW HIM!!

Isn't that what it's all about? Think about it. Who really cares if their UPS guy has a brace? No one.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think if you took a poll from the customers the bottom line would be they don't give a crap if their driver has a brace on or not.(or an eyepatch or studders or has a peg leg or is gay). All they want is to get their package on time and in good condition. Everyone I know that is running a business has more than enough to worry about other than if Joe Smuck the UPS guy looks bad with a brace on. That is everybody except the BIG companies like UPS. They seem to have too many chiefs that get paid big bucks to worry about non-issues.

tieguy

Banned
"..allowing braces with long pants is a reasonable accomadation."

UPS may say they want you to wear long pants to present a good image, but I think they do it because they can. That driver had the audacity to go on comp. Now we will make his work life as unpleasant as we can! We'll make him wear lond pants over an already hot brace, and punish him good! WE'LL SHOW HIM!!

Isn't that what it's all about? Think about it. Who really cares if their UPS guy has a brace? No one.

I don't know I think it looks like we took someone that is still injured and made them go out and hump their route. Any way you shake it , its not a flattering image to have someone run a route with a leg brace on.

mrbill

Everyone already knows what UPS is like, including the customers
what can BROWN do for YOU
they can try to cover up but in the long run the truth comes out