Break and work area

J

jibbs

At my center, we laugh when the new hires ask about a break.

We're not supposed to leave our spot/set unless told otherwise, so if you dip off for a little bit it's all on you whatever happens in the meantime.

There's definitely a trick to it, but you never know what could hit the belt the second you turn away to go do what you gotta do. You guys and your official breaks.... so lucky...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
At my center, we laugh when the new hires ask about a break.

We're not supposed to leave our spot/set unless told otherwise, so if you dip off for a little bit it's all on you whatever happens in the meantime.

There's definitely a trick to it, but you never know what could hit the belt the second you turn away to go do what you gotta do. You guys and your official breaks.... so lucky...
that's true but I still take my 10 min everyday....I try and time it so I don't come back to a huge pile of brown...lol

J

jibbs

I run off and get about 10-15min of smoking in a day. Normally about 2-4min at a time and smoking about half a cigarette, then running back up the belt from the bottom catching everything that may've come down in the meantime.

Normally works out, but it's always a bitch when I come in and find an over-70 three or four sets of trucks down from mine on the belt.

PT Car Washer

I run off and get about 10-15min of smoking in a day. Normally about 2-4min at a time and smoking about half a cigarette, then running back up the belt from the bottom catching everything that may've come down in the meantime.

Normally works out, but it's always a bitch when I come in and find an over-70 three or four sets of trucks down from mine on the belt.
Sounds like an enjoyable smoke break. Why even bother?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

The kid who works next to me pulls my irregs when I'm on break..and vice versa. That way, we don't have to slide a 125lb box 7 trucks back.

Last edited:
J

jibbs

Sounds like an enjoyable smoke break. Why even bother?

To keep any potential nicotine cravings away and relieve building stress.

I'm not taking the "break" to go relax... I focus moreso on the smoking part and then get back to work. The belt doesn't stop at my center unless the supe wants to jump from one side to the other. Even when there's no work, there's still ad-cuts and smalls constantly coming down that can be missed.

I tend not to trust most of my coworkers to pull for me without putting things in the wrong trucks, so I clear the belt of my work to give myself a time cushion and go power-puff through half a jack.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
To keep any potential nicotine cravings away and relieve building stress.

I'm not taking the "break" to go relax... I focus moreso on the smoking part and then get back to work. The belt doesn't stop at my center unless the supe wants to jump from one side to the other. Even when there's no work, there's still ad-cuts and smalls constantly coming down that can be missed.

I tend not to trust most of my coworkers to pull for me without putting things in the wrong trucks, so I clear the belt of my work give myself a time cushion and go power-puff through half a jack.
No...any irregs he pulls he'll lean against the trucks...i load them after my break.

J

jibbs

Yeah, I get it. I was just explaining why I go about my smoke breaks the way I do like PT asked.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I remember when I worked at fed ex without a break my whole shift. A whopping 10 minute break was golden to me when I first started at UPS. Now it seems like just enough time to do nothing but climb out of the truck, drink some water, and climb back in (egress lmao)...... I guess it's all about your perspective.