Bring your spouse to work Day...ON TOPIC PRETTY PLEASE

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have already decided that my wife will meet me on route and spend most of the day on car with me on my retirement day. I want to share that day with her, let her see firsthand what my job is like, and have her film me making the final delivery of what will have been a 35+ year career.

Excellent topic by the way!!
I think that would be a great day. I also think they should authorize you to let her, or you could get fired, but.......what are they going to do? Fire you, LOL

Savvy412

That's funny op

I always say to my wife (we have a 3 month old)

Me working all day and then coming home and taking care of the kid to relieve you. Is harder. I'm not saying my job is harder then a stay at home mom, but I have to do both everyday.

But she knows I'm tired and how ups is , so I don't have to convince her.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
That's funny op

I always say to my wife (we have a 3 month old)

Me working all day and then coming home and taking care of the kid to relieve you. Is harder. I'm not saying my job is harder then a stay at home mom, but I have to do both everyday.

But she knows I'm tired and how ups is , so I don't have to convince her.
The fact that you and I do BOTH duties was exactly what I'm talking about. It's pretty brutal to muster up the energy for hide and seek some nights.

Savvy412

I also am full time dad on the weekends. I give her the weekends to hang out and do whatever. But i mean naturally, she still interacts and helps but you know what I mean.

Cementups

Box Monkey
And as far as being a helper, my wife would actually love doing it. We've discussed it briefly if she didn't already have a job. The only problem I would have with having her on route with me is seeing the women that flirt with me occasionally. That would not go over well.

rod

Retired 22 years
I took my wife with me on my nightly run to Fargo when I first started full time. I would leave her at a truck stop for a couple of hours and pick her back up on the way back through. We were newly weds. I still smile when I think about the fun we had. (especially me) I did some crazy stuff back then and sometimes marvel how I got away with it for 30 years.

WorknLateHuh

My wife thinks that 100 stops/day should take the same amount of time no matter what the route... industrial, rural, city, mall.

ive tried explaining until im blue in the face and she just doesnt get it... kind of annoying

Savvy412

I do also think that we wanh wanh alot. Poor us..wanh us. our job is so hard wanh..

But what I try to explain to people is...Your acting like im 16 fresh off my first job. I have had sooo many different jobs. For whatever reason..this job is tough. And its because we WALK ALL DAY. we are constantly moving. Not to mention a normal person, go run errands in the city for 3 hours. I guarentee you just the traffic alone is exhausting. x that by 12 hours a day.

I used to be a graphic designer and mentally, I was more tired at the end of the day. But ups has a combo of mental and physical.

Holydriver

First, I shall start off by saying my wife is a badass, being a stay at home mom taking care of our two toddlers. That being said, almost everyday I feel that she thinks what she does is incomparably (is that a word?) more difficult than what us PC drivers do.

We all work 10-12 hours everyday, up and down stairs, cases of wine, Irregs, pickups, time commits. Then I come home and am basically doing all the domestic stuff, while trying to be an upbeat dad, exhausted and beat from toes to forehead.

I just wish, for one day, just 1 day, she could be my helper and really see and physically do what I and the rest of us do. Day in and day out. Anybody else ever have this thought? And for the love of...holy hell, stay on topic!
Her job is so tough!!!! How ever donyoubsurvuve weekends off from UPS and immediately immersing yourself into her job?

jaker

trolling
My wife thinks that 100 stops/day should take the same amount of time no matter what the route... industrial, rural, city, mall.

ive tried explaining until im blue in the face and she just doesnt get it... kind of annoying
You sure your wife isn't management

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Woman on my route are too busy with spin class, the garden club, and tennis lessons to work. The Au Pair's takes care of the kids.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My spouse knows exactly what i went thru my whole career but i would never want to change places. He has had it 10 times harder than I ever did.

The cancer for starters, constant pain, never being able to sleep more than 2-3 hrs per night, the stroke that left him in a wheelchair since 1999 , the several FMLA's I took over the years to stay home and take care of him during the especially rough spots. I was glad to go back to work. I could list a lot more that he has gone through but it would just be boring to most of you.

My Man is a real hero for going thru what he has gone thru all these years. There were times he was ready to give up and wished he would die but somehow he found the strength to try ONE MORE DAY. It has been like this for years. One day at a time.

No matter how hard you think you have it , there are billions that have it a lot worse. People should be grateful every day for what they have, especially good health.

My career at UPS and the 35 total years truck driving was "cake" compared to what my husband has gone through. I left my silly complaints at the door.

Now being retired it is especially nice to be with him all the time.

GenericUsername

I preload and after that, I'm a SAHD. It's not working monetarily, but it's rewarding in the sense that I get to see my daughter all day long. It's draining. You think a SAHM has it rough some days? Try doing preload, then chasing an 18 month all day. By the time my lady gets home, the house is in order, the kid is alive and well, the dogs are okay, and there's food coming out of the oven within 30 minutes of her arrival. Then I get the pleasure of hearing how her day was at work and how her day is so much harder than mine....... If only she knew.

Recently, her Mom came down for 3 weeks to help out after my fiancee had surgery for something minor, which involved her not being able to lift for 2 weeks after, thus the help. Her Mom was so tired after she left that she did nothing for 3 days but lay on the couch and rest. My own Mom and cousin came down 2 months prior to that for a few weeks vacation while I covered during season. Both of them were mentally exhausted and don't understand how I can handle it daily. (The secret is I drink a 2 liter of Mountain Dew daily.) Not even an hour after my fiancee gets home do I get the "Can you watch her for a few while I take a break?"... It sickens me.

I look forward to the day I go FT with UPS and can drive and be out of the house for hours. I love my daughter, but man do I need some "me" time every once and a while.