broken toe=broken tradition

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a 15 yr tradition of driving up to a rural tree farm on my route and cutting a nice, fresh Christmas tree. Last year, I even got to cut one in a foot and a half of snow.

I had planned on continuing this tradition today...but I broke my toe on Friday and there is no way in hell I could hike around in the woods with a chainsaw and drag out a tree.

My wife cannot use a chainsaw or drag a tree either...so today I had to stoop to the indignity of buying a tree from a roadside stand and having someone else load it up for me.:dissapointed:

I can console myself with the fact that the stand was run by a local church who uses the money raised for charity...so at least my $10 went for a worthy cause.

Thats one nice thing about living in the Pacific Northwest...cheap Christmas trees. Ive heard horror stories about people down in L.A or places like Arizona or Texas who pay up to $100 for a decent tree. Up here you can get nice fresh ones for $10 or $20 at the most.

Oh well, there's always next year....

over9five

Staff member
Ive heard horror stories about people down in L.A or places like Arizona or Texas who pay up to $100 for a decent tree. Up here you can get nice fresh ones for $10 or $20 at the most.

I've heard worse than that. Do you know some people pay up to $100 for a FAKE tree???? Is that funny!!!! City people!!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
UPS does that to you....Christmas should be the most joyous time of the year........however w/ this job it turns into the most stressful time
Ya, but in this case it wasn't work that caused the lack of Christmas spirit.

As much as it can be a PITA I enjoy this time of year. It is my favorite. Christmas and Thanksgiving. Even at work. I love the Christmas lights. That is one thing about delivering at night that is a bonus to me.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
We used to have a local tree farm that was our tradition as well. They had hand made ornaments, hot cocoa, and it was a family business. They retired a while back and we sure miss them. It's a disappearing part of Americana. They were inexpensive also and the whole drive out to the country was a special event. I love the lights in town as well as most of us do. It does make the stress more palatible.

Ya, but in this case it wasn't work that caused the lack of Christmas spirit.

As much as it can be a PITA I enjoy this time of year. It is my favorite. Christmas and Thanksgiving. Even at work. I love the Christmas lights. That is one thing about delivering at night that is a bonus to me.

Through the years of peeks, delivering in the dark with all the houses decorated with lights and such always made me happy. I could see where I was walking.

ups1990

Back in 2000, the family took a trip to Oregon. Man, it's very beautiful. the coast of your state is awesome. We visited a relative, forgot what city it was. It must have been close to the Univ. of Oregon, cause everyone was a Duck's fan. I think my wife would be in agreement with living there after retiring on a part-time basis.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Here in Kentucky, we used to cut down trees when the kids were young. We actually stopped last year. It seems all the nice local trees are gone. Now we have a phony tree (which I swore I'd never have) that my in laws had in their garage unopened for 15 years.
It's probably filled with lead and God knows what else.
It's nice, but just not the same.

Here in Kentucky, we used to cut down trees when the kids were young. We actually stopped last year. It seems all the nice local trees are gone. Now we have a phony tree (which I swore I'd never have) that my in laws had in their garage unopened for 15 years.
It's probably filled with lead and God knows what else.
It's nice, but just not the same.
Mouse droppings?

Sober and Big....I gave up on traditions when the Cowboys fired Tom Landry. That alsopretty much coincides with the time I quit watching football on Sunday's.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I've heard worse than that. Do you know some people pay up to $100 for a FAKE tree???? Is that funny!!!! City people!!!!

Yo Cuz ! (philly vernacular) I resemble that !
Actually mother-in law lives with us and is allergic to real trees. We have to fake'os. I miss having a fresh tree a lot but now that the kids are grown it doesn't seem as important anymore.We would go as a family and cut it down when the kids were young.
PS Mom comes from the foothills of the Alps in Germany where he father
always had a fresh cut with real candles on it. Now she is allergic.What's up with that ? American trees?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Last live tree I had in my house for Christmas was the year my friend suggest we take the tree and put firecrackers and bottle rockets in it and catch it on fire.
Holy Cow! That tree had a flame 30 feet tall and burned up in about 10 seconds.

OK ... so that's what rednecks do with a Christmas tree in Georgia but scared the crap out of me thinking that was in my house.

P

pickup

Yo Cuz ! (philly vernacular)

Yeah you're right , the yo cuz part. The other part of philly vernacular that comes to mind is that what ever your name is , an "ie" gets added to the end of the name, ie: ron-ronnie, jack-jackie(boy) , mike, mikie(or mikey), Stewart-Stewie:wink2:

P

pickup

I have a 15 yr tradition of driving up to a rural tree farm on my route and cutting a nice, fresh Christmas tree. Last year, I even got to cut one in a foot and a half of snow.

I had planned on continuing this tradition today...but I broke my toe on Friday and there is no way in hell I could hike around in the woods with a chainsaw and drag out a tree.

My wife cannot use a chainsaw or drag a tree either...so today I had to stoop to the indignity of buying a tree from a roadside stand and having someone else load it up for me.:dissapointed:

I can console myself with the fact that the stand was run by a local church who uses the money raised for charity...so at least my $10 went for a worthy cause.

Thats one nice thing about living in the Pacific Northwest...cheap Christmas trees. Ive heard horror stories about people down in L.A or places like Arizona or Texas who pay up to $100 for a decent tree. Up here you can get nice fresh ones for $10 or $20 at the most.

Oh well, there's always next year....

How could you guys not pick up on this? He broke his toe. Soberups, are you are disability or comp and are you going to miss the remainder of peak? How you feeling by the way?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How could you guys not pick up on this? He broke his toe. Soberups, are you are disability or comp and are you going to miss the remainder of peak? How you feeling by the way?

Im on TAW and running my route while a helper does all the walking for me. The swelling is going down and its actually getting better faster than I thought it would. Theres no way I could get in and out of a truck 200 times a day, but with the helper doing the leg work its really not that bad. There isnt much you can do for a fractured toe other than to tape it up and wait for it to heal.