"BROTHERHOOD" in International Brotherhood of Teamsters has been Broken-RIP 2013

Justaname

We use to toss in a couple bucks each for daily coffee, doughnuts & bagels from a doughnut shop. Now they've replaced them with tacos from Taco Bell. At 3:30AM... I guess it could be worse: sliders from White Castle (but for a buck each? Really? What a rip off!)
You're insane!!!! I was always excited to see a crave case.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity,

To answer your question, NO.

Those elected officials work for us. They are suppose to represent "our" collective best interests first. AT NO TIME, before they made the deal with UPS, did they CONSULT with the membership. They had an OBLIGATION to consult with us in each local first, along with a full debate on all issues. Afterwards, if the membership in the majority believed this process should have gone forward, then they go back to the company and they agree.

Instead, they came to us pounding their fists assuring us that "we wont pay $90./$9./.09 cents".... instead, they brought to 140,000 working UPS teamsters a plan that will cost members over $2000.00 dollars a year.

WE DIDNT AGREE TO THIS.

As for the Two man meetings, those are merely political. As if "OUR" principle officer, Ron H actually had the balls to go against the IBT when he sits on the International board as a trustee is laughable at best.

Of course he and Jay raised their hands and voted YES. That doesnt make it the right decision. Its just something they are obligated to do because they are in too deep in Union politics and forgot about the membership they were suppose to protect.

This hasnt gone unnoticed in our local amongst the members.

Just because the International believed they settled the deal at great expense to the members doesnt mean that "WE" have to support that idea. That's not what solidarity is all about.

The Teamsters knew that taking away the health benefits of the members in the southwest and local 177 would create a huge blowback, so another plan had to be worked out with the company to counter this blowback.

After making promises to the membership here in the southwest of not paying 90/9/09, the Teamsters knew they would put the principle officers in jeopardy, so they needed help from the company. By extending the progression of all part timers to 4 years, and diverting the monies that would have been paid to those part timers as NEW raises, the International knew it could market one region against the other.

This has gone unnoticed by many on this board and around the country.

The fact that the principle officers voted unanimously amounts to nothing when put into perspective. "WE" the members should have the final say on whats offered and what isnt. "WE" in the southwest and in local 177 NEVER authorized the International to bargain away our health care benefits.

"WE" can only "take into account" a unanimous approval once all the facts are out in the open. No matter how this contract goes down in the next 72 hours, UPS will have over 140,000 pissed off employees looking for some payback.

Ok, fine. You want to charge us for a ridiculous health care plan that doesnt come close to what we have today? OK, drivers will just extend their days and make up the difference in premiums. That will end up costing the company more money than if they just continued paying for it.

Secondly, those principle officers who sold us out will face the blowback of that decision at the ballot box. This I assure you. Its the talk of the yards ALREADY in our local. We already have retirees who are coming together to group into campaigning committees to oust our local officers.

There is going to be a huge blowback in our local if this contract is ratified.

To say that "we" should have just voted yes, because the idiots involved sold us out is just plain silly.

"WE" were never put first by the International or its officers. The international put itself first and it shows in the new language. Anyone who believes that extending the part time progression rate another year helps the part timer needs to have his head examined, then punched out.

Peace

TOS
The Other Side,

You first post was very interesting but it doesn't seem you are in the position to be talking much about brotherhood and togetherness when you appear so unhappy with the current teamster establishment.

Your attitude seems to undermine the very solidarity that unanimous support of the TA suggests.

It is my opinion that you appear to be more on the side of discontented Teamster seeking reform.

Every member in good standing is open to seeking leadership roles in the union. You are probably a good candidate for this path.

Just keep in mind you will not initially get the brotherhood and unity when going down that road.

Things are liable to get worse before they get better depending on your success in meeting your goals.

Keep in mind for a union to really achieve solidarity and unity the members must humble themselves and support the decisions of their elected officials.

If they can't do that then they need to get elected officials in that they can support.

Peace.

Sincerely,
I

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
To say we are not a brotherhood/sisterhood his hyperbole. In every contract I have voted on concessions were made for improvements. When you look out over the economic landscape labor market this deal is fracken good. Go see what the Caterpillar workers got. The part-timers have and always will be a side show until they make full-time. Then they "get it." Full-time is a career and part-time is transitory.

In these tough economic times with union workers leverage at near record low's its a darn good deal and I voted proudly YES!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
To say we are not a brotherhood/sisterhood his hyperbole. In every contract I have voted on concessions were made for improvements. When you look out over the economic landscape labor market this deal is fracken good. Go see what the Caterpillar workers got. The part-timers have and always will be a side show until they make full-time. Then they "get it." Full-time is a career and part-time is transitory.

Its darn good deal and I voted proudly YES!

Improvements to your wage, perhaps.

​But that's not "brotherhood."

With this contract, comes the reality that "we" are no longer a "BROTHERHOOD" of members. With posters like Stink, 407 steward, UPSUPSTATE, Hefferman and the like, we no longer show a concern for our brothers and sisters and the struggles in each local.

This contract has turned the "brotherhood" into the "International separatists Teamsters"

We didnt stand up for our retiree brothers and sisters whose healthcare costs are going to skyrocket. We didnt stand up for our part time brothers and sisters who will now have to wait 4 years to make top pay. We didnt stand up for our package drivers with better language on excessive overtime or technology usage.

Instead, the afformentioned "Teamsters" demonstrated the new look teamsters where they only concern themselves with whats best for them and them only.

WE are no longer a "BROTHERHOOD" if this contract passes as it stands today.

Today will be a long day of waiting, waiting to see if we are still in fact a BROTHERHOOD, or merely a bunch of people scrambling for what we can get as individuals.

Peace

TOS
Let me know how that works out for you brother.

Ps I can get you a Teamcare tee shirt.

Peace
​407

rpoz11

The Other Side,

Providing you believe the leadership, true solidarity would be that all members would accept the recommendation of those put in authority to approve the TA.

Unanimous approval by local leaders should not be taken lightly when considering how to vote.

Even if you disagree with your local leaders decision to approve, one cannot fail to take into account that it was a unanimous approval.

Sincerely,
I

Wow.
A unanimous vote by the electorate running OUR Teamsters.
You think for a moment what it means to not follow your board members directive.
Oh, and by the way, when Hoffa shows up in any of our locals,
do you really think your elected guard will allow any dissent.
In some areas, violence occurs as retribution for ones opinion.
Stewards in my building, except for 2, are selling the lie;
and none of these YES stewards will ever tell you what will happen in the future.

rpoz11

The Other Side,

You first post was very interesting but it doesn't seem you are in the position to be talking much about brotherhood and togetherness when you appear so unhappy with the current teamster establishment.

Your attitude seems to undermine the very solidarity that unanimous support of the TA suggests.

It is my opinion that you appear to be more on the side of discontented Teamster seeking reform.

Every member in good standing is open to seeking leadership roles in the union. You are probably a good candidate for this path.

Just keep in mind you will not initially get the brotherhood and unity when going down that road.

Things are liable to get worse before they get better depending on your success in meeting your goals.

Keep in mind for a union to really achieve solidarity and unity the members must humble themselves and support the decisions of their elected officials.

If they can't do that then they need to get elected officials in that they can support.

Peace.

Sincerely,
I

And Sir, what region are you from?

It's different in every building and local I've worked in.

We have several locals under our Joint Council. I have worked in several of them and each act independently from the other.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This thread isnt about debating the contract, rather, its a thread to debate people LIKE YOU. In years past, every member understood that standing together made this union stronger. Every member knew that allthough in their respective districts things may not have been as good as other districts, but standing together would always come first as a union. People like you HEFFERMAN, demonstrate how selfish people can be. The death of this union as a whole has been started by this contract. When members can disregard the Union as a whole in order to gain a small advantage for themselves, then the company WINS in this battle. Getting us to fight with each other and demonstrate to the company that we can be divided by chump change is exactly what UPS was looking for. Thank you for giving that to them. YOU and the other guys who paraded around on this board demonstrating that you didnt care about your brothers and sisters should be ashamed of yourself. This isnt a simple, "i voted no and you voted yes" issue. This is an issue of solidarity, unity and trust. So far, guys like YOU Hefferman, have shown us NO LOYALTY, NO SOLIDARITY, NO UNITY and clearly, NO TRUST to stand with us in this fight. If YOU think this is the end of the concessions, then stay tuned. The next contract will be worse, all the pieces are in place for the destruction of the teamsters in 2018. When YOU let the company divide us, then YOU help to destroy us all. In case you havent heard this before: "United we Stand, Divided we Fall" Peace TOS

" People like you HEFFERMAN, demonstrate how selfish people can be. "

I'm selfish because I don't want to go against the grain by voting no? I don't see nothing wrong with the contract and its industry leading pay, healthcare, pension and benefits !!! Neither did Hall or for that matter my BA. You want to nitpick every aspect of the contract, you have that right, BUT VOTING NO IS NOT GONNA FIX IT ALL !!! You NO voters think that you'll just keep sending the contract back until you're satisfied.

NEWSFLASH - YOU WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED

The NO posters have bitched about every detail and will never be fully satisfied.
Am I 100% behind everything in the contract? NOPE But I voted yes to give UPS an edge on FEDEX and keep the best pay,benefits,pension package in the country bar none !!

Take a look at that ugly mug in the mirror while brushing your tooth, that person is breaking up the solidarity of the union. Not me because I voted Yes !!

stink219

Everyone is getting the $3.90. But don't forget about $5 per hour for H&W.

Again, the PART TIMERS are PAYING for it by having progression extended an extra year.. Maybe you dont get it, still. If you extend progression, then you TAKE money out of the part timers pockets!

Then, just like a slight of hand, you TAKE that money taken out of the pockets of the part timers and you spread it around the same people you stole it from.

THIS ISNT NEW MONEY STINK.

NEW MONEY, would be money that didnt come from someplace else. IF progression had remained the same, and then the company gave us $3.90, then , that would be NEW MONEY.

But somehow, guys like you think youre getting the BETTER OF THE COMPANY. :whatever:

get a clue bro.

Peace

TOS
If you calculate the new scale progression with the old one, both on a 5 year term of the contract at 9.5 hours a day (let's face it, drivers never work only 8), the difference is that new hires in the 4 year progression pool will still be $3000 ahead of last contract. That's new money.

If you calculate the new scale progression with the old one, both on a 5 year term of the contract at 9.5 hours a day (let's face it, drivers never work only 8), the difference is that new hires in the 4 year progression pool will still be $3000 ahead of last contract. That's new money.
Are you out of the quere????

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Stink, I give you credit for hanging in there despite your lack on knowledge. You are truly a fighter. Someday, our paths may even cross on union business. ON that day, I hope to shake your hand for trying so hard.

As your opinion about NEW money, in the last contract, the part timers LOST a years pay at the final jump because progression was increased in 2008 to 36 months. You have to calculate the LOSS first before you count any gains.

You do understand this right? If you increase progression, you DECREASE the earnings for the employee who has to go another year. You cant INCREASE progression and make more money.

Tell me you get this?

peace

TOS

pretender

Most of the whining about the contract is from those that had it better than us and are now being brought in line.

BINGO!

"In years past, every member understood that standing together made this union stronger. Every member knew that allthough in their respective districts things may not have been as good as other districts, but standing together would always come first as a union."

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...n-rip-2013-a-350924/index3.html#ixzz2WxyEHhRf

stealstime

Upstate it must be nice to be in upstate new York is cheap and us in the southern tier have higher cost of living ******* and Go back to your selfish ways !

Last edited by a moderator:

stink219

Stink, I give you credit for hanging in there despite your lack on knowledge. You are truly a fighter. Someday, our paths may even cross on union business. ON that day, I hope to shake your hand for trying so hard.

As your opinion about NEW money, in the last contract, the part timers LOST a years pay at the final jump because progression was increased in 2008 to 36 months. You have to calculate the LOSS first before you count any gains.

You do understand this right? If you increase progression, you DECREASE the earnings for the employee who has to go another year. You cant INCREASE progression and make more money.

Tell me you get this?

peace

TOS
Are you using equal numbers? Starting pay and progression rates increased across the board. Even with the additional year it's more cash. Not to mention the increase in H&W.

twoweeled

With this contract, comes the reality that "we" are no longer a "BROTHERHOOD" of members. With posters like Stink, 407 steward, UPSUPSTATE, Hefferman and the like, we no longer show a concern for our brothers and sisters and the struggles in each local.

This contract has turned the "brotherhood" into the "International separatists Teamsters"

We didnt stand up for our retiree brothers and sisters whose healthcare costs are going to skyrocket. We didnt stand up for our part time brothers and sisters who will now have to wait 4 years to make top pay. We didnt stand up for our package drivers with better language on excessive overtime or technology usage.

Instead, the afformentioned "Teamsters" demonstrated the new look teamsters where they only concern themselves with whats best for them and them only.

WE are no longer a "BROTHERHOOD" if this contract passes as it stands today.

Today will be a long day of waiting, waiting to see if we are still in fact a BROTHERHOOD, or merely a bunch of people scrambling for what we can get as individuals.

Peace

TOS
You are absolutely right. How old is the tactic, "divide and conquer"? That's what's been done here. The surprise is, that it is our own reps who are doing the dividing.

twoweeled

Now that the contract has passed - I guess we all know what's coming in January? The dogs will be unleashed, like we have never seen before. management has been chomping at the bit. We are in a war, with no leadership. The second wave is on the way. Some of our brothers have no idea what's coming.
Glad I'm on my way out.