Brown Cafe members who post under more than one name

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I thought fakes brought down the banhammer. Did that change??
It's not really a change, there have always been a couple of people that I am aware of that use more than 1 account. I'm not sure why most of them do it, but most of the time it seems harmless.

On the other hand we have seen a couple of situations where multiple accounts were created by a poster and then used to support the posts of their other account to make their views look more accepted. That undermines trust and is really annoying. When we find multiple accounts being used in that way we will delete the clone accounts and may also ban the main account if they do not comply with our requests to stop.

The situations where multiple accounts have been banned were pretty much isolated to 1 or 2 malicious users that were using puppet accounts to converse with one another and support their self generated drama and attacks on other members.

When people are banned for that reason any other accounts they make will be closed. It may take a while to spot them, but when they surface, they will be banned. We don't ban people quickly or without good cause, but when we do, we will reapply that ban every time we see the same person.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's not really a change, there have always been a couple of people that I am aware of that use more than 1 account. I'm not sure why most of them do it, but most of the time it seems harmless.

On the other hand we have seen a couple of situations where multiple accounts were created by a poster and then used to support the posts of their other account to make their views look more accepted. That undermines trust and is really annoying. When we find multiple accounts being used in that way we will delete the clone accounts and may also ban the main account if they do not comply with our requests to stop.

The situations where multiple accounts have been banned were pretty much isolated to 1 or 2 malicious users that were using puppet accounts to converse with one another and support their self generated drama and attacks on other members.

When people are banned for that reason any other accounts they make will be closed. It may take a while to spot them, but when they surface, they will be banned. We don't ban people quickly or without good cause, but when we do, we will reapply that ban every time we see the same person.

I would almost feel sorry for the person whose life is so shallow, so empty and so self-absorbed that they would create multiple screen names in order to talk to themselves and create drama on an Internet forum. It brings to mind the scene in "Taxi Driver" where Robert DeNiro's character Travis Bickle poses in front of a mirror with all of his guns and keeps saying "are you talking to me?" to his own reflection.

barnyard

KTM rider

Thanks for the clarify.

There was a user that was banned 2 or 3 years ago for doing exactly what you describe. The poser had a writing style that carried over to all of his (?) fake noobs and made it easy to spot. So easy, that even I figured it out. That was who I was thinking of when I made the 'ban hammer' comment.

Sometimes fake noobs can be very entertaining, but for the most part, I do not get why someone would go to the trouble.

moreluck

golden ticket member
........"I do not get why someone would go to the trouble. .........."

Obviously compensating for something the poster lacks..............hmmmmm!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would almost feel sorry for the person whose life is so shallow, so empty and so self-absorbed that they would create multiple screen names in order to talk to themselves and create drama on an Internet forum. It brings to mind the scene in "Taxi Driver" where Robert DeNiro's character Travis Bickle poses in front of a mirror with all of his guns and keeps saying "are you talking to me?" to his own reflection.
It gets better when they extend it to the point where they create a website imitation just too slam certain members on here. Really???? Get a life!!! Causes one to become 'jumpy'. Hence, the MAJOR apology to the person who was so ingenious to create 'younotme'. So dastardly!!!!:happy-very::happy-very: I think I'm in love!!:love-very: hehehehehehehe j/k
Wickedly devious. I love it.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
We don't ban people quickly or without good cause, but when we do, we will reapply that ban every time we see the same person.

images

The most interesting MOD's in the world!:happy-very:

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
It seems to be the popular consensus that I had something to do with creating the character, YouNotMe. Balderdash, I say!! Just to clear the good family name of Dizzee, I have done painstaking research, and found this evidence of the [-]abomination known as Bigfoot[/-] evil twin, YouNotMe.

I would never do such a thing as create another screen name, and normally I would let my coolness speak for itself.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It seems to be the popular consensus that I had something to do with creating the character, YouNotMe. Balderdash, I say!! Just to clear the good family name of Dizzee, I have done painstaking research, and found this evidence of the [-]abomination known as Bigfoot[/-] evil twin, YouNotMe.

I would never do such a thing as create another screen name, and normally I would let my coolness speak for itself.
I'm stealing that avatar!!

trickpony1

I guess that means I can't create multiple accounts and then positive rep me.
I want a gazillion positive rep points.
I want to be loved.