Brown Out

Floyd Gondolli

In my 11+ years i have never experienced it whether in the hub or on the road. I have heard it brought up a couple times, but never seen any action. With all that's going on with telematics, production, GPS, harassment, etc. i'm surprised i haven't heard it talked about on Brown Cafe. Anybody ever involved in this? What we're the circumstances? Is this Taboo to talk about? Opinions.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
nope never seen it, that would be clearly against the contract. Stewards could get fired for encouraging a work stoppage without Union aproval

Floyd Gondolli

It could be 4 or 5 drivers in a particular city or a load belt that are tired of what's talked about here every single day. No Shop Steward involvement. Cough Cough.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A wild cat strike is grounds for immediate termination with no appeal. If you do this and they connect the dots you're gone.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have it happen every year almost but it's purely coincidence. While it is not guys using sick days, at least one week of the year we have about 6-9 drivers off at the same time that cover most of one city. We've had times where every driver in the whole loop was off as well, purely by coincidence.

satellitedriver

A conscience effort for a group of employees to call in sick to "send a message"
You might not like the message you get back, on your answering machine. (archaic term).
Just because you are free to leave your responsibilities does not mean you have the freedom to be able to return to them.
The contract you are employed under is a two way promise.
Keep yours.

JonFrum

A wild cat strike is grounds for immediate termination with no appeal. If you do this and they connect the dots you're gone.
Check your Supplement.

In New England the Company can discipline you, but they can't fire you until the illegal strike goes beyond 24 hours. Presumable your message could be sent and received loud and clear within the initial 24 hour period.

Treegrower

Check your Supplement.

In New England the Company can discipline you, but they can't fire you until the illegal strike goes beyond 24 hours. Presumable your message could be sent and received loud and clear within the initial 24 hour period.

No dots to connect. If you are sick or if you call in and take yourself out of service end of story. If you have no history of excessive call ins and you are not openly and loudly advocating insurection or a specific job action, well then..........

Leftinbuilding

Guess I would wonder how you would feel about a "Lock Out"? Where you come to work and they tell everyone. "We don't need you today." The resulting service failures could directly effect your future employment. Miss a few hundred accounts, lose them and guess what, somebody is out a job. A contract is a contract. Two sides.

JonFrum

Guess I would wonder how you would feel about a "Lock Out"? Where you come to work and they tell everyone. "We don't need you today." The resulting service failures could directly effect your future employment. Miss a few hundred accounts, lose them and guess what, somebody is out a job. A contract is a contract. Two sides.
There are two sides to the negotiations, but only one Contract. It is what it is. It is what both sides agreed to.

The Contract forbids Lockouts, but allows strikes under the limited circumstances specified in the Contract itself.

For example, an authorized strike is permitted if the Company fails to make required contributions to the pension or H&W funds, fails to pay established wage rates, or fails to carry out a National Grievance Panel decision.

Since the Company has almost all the power and authority, naturally, most Contract provisions are aimed at restraining Company abuses of their power, not those of the labor force.

Leftinbuilding

There are two sides to the negotiations, but only one Contract. It is what it is. It is what both sides agreed to.

The Contract forbids Lockouts, but allows strikes under the limited circumstances specified in the Contract itself.

For example, an authorized strike is permitted if the Company fails to make required contributions to the pension or H&W funds, fails to pay established wage rates, or fails to carry out a National Grievance Panel decision.

Since the Company has almost all the power and authority, naturally, most Contract provisions are aimed at restraining Company abuses of their power, not those of the labor force.

You are probably right, I am not a labor expert. A wildcat strike would be outside the perimeters articulated by you. therefore as illegal as a lockout.

Treegrower

I guess by your logic that not one single driver is ever out sick or out with legitimate personal or family reasons. On any given day of the week how many drivers call in/off? On any random day of the week how many unexpected circumstances arise where a driver calls in? If you comprehended what I wrote and it is clear that you did not, hence the knee jerk reaction of jumping to a lockout, you'd see that I wrote that if you had no history of excessive call off and were not loudly and actively advocating a specific work action then if you called off how could anyone "connect the dots" and discipline you or fire you?
We have well over 150 drivers in our hub if 10 or 20 or 30 even stage a brown out and some one who like I said keeps to themselves and just does his or hers job happens to be sick or for other reasons ( family/kids/personal) calls off that day you are going to discipline them?

Leftinbuilding

I guess by your logic that not one single driver is ever out sick or out with legitimate personal or family reasons. On any given day of the week how many drivers call in/off? On any random day of the week how many unexpected circumstances arise where a driver calls in? If you comprehended what I wrote and it is clear that you did not, hence the knee jerk reaction of jumping to a lockout, you'd see that I wrote that if you had no history of excessive call off and were not loudly and actively advocating a specific work action then if you called off how could anyone "connect the dots" and discipline you or fire you?
We have well over 150 drivers in our hub if 10 or 20 or 30 even stage a brown out and some one who like I said keeps to themselves and just does his or hers job happens to be sick or for other reasons ( family/kids/personal) calls off that day you are going to discipline them?

Kinda touchy there, Tree. First off, I wasn't responding to you. The OP was wondering if such work stoppages ever occurred. The very strong implication in his query was an organized (even loosely) protest. No where did I imply an individual could not call in sick. I simply gave the opposite scenario. Sorry it shot right over your head!! Sheesh!!

Treegrower

Shot over my head?? Do you even bother to think before you write? Read what you responded to my post. Shot over my head? Really? Seriously? Sure you implied that calling in sick equated with a brown out. Read what you wrote. I responding to the post with saying there were no dots to connect and YOU responded with Lock out. Come on now. Who is being touchy. Because of where your head is, I'd say it went right over your waist.