Brown Package Trucks - Clean or Dirty?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by UPS Preloader, Feb 14, 2013.

1. UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader Active Member

Growing up in Massachusetts in never saw a dirty UPS Package Truck. The closest center was in Shrewsbury and from what I was told every truck was washed everyday. I now live in Maine and the center I work at does not have a car wash. When I first started back in 2007, the local sort would hand wash the trucks every night. Nowadays, I can't recall the last time I saw a clean truck. In addition to a pile of trash and dirt inside the trucks, there's probably 10 lbs of dirt on the outside. It's almost embarassing! Is this common elsewhere?
  2. Thebrownstreak

Thebrownstreak Active Member

We have a car washer that works after the local sort. Hand washed. But they'll limit the time he can wash per week. Something like 3 hours a night. I personally rinse off my truck every day at a customers lot. It only rinses the scum off the truck, but something is better than nothing.
  3. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Dirty is the new clean.
  4. My truck was so dirty,the little kids walking past my truck.started to wipe the dirt off with their bare hands! Hey Mr UPS man your truck is very dirty!
  5. UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader Active Member

Just before Christmas I pulled out of the parking lot on my way home and in front of me was a Brownie with a hand flipping the bird on the back of the truck. Couldn't help but laugh as I wondered how long it would stay there. (It passed the driver pre-check!)
  6. Alleycar

Alleycar Member

Our local sort hand washes the trucks, but they are dictated how many hrs per week may be used. That being said, our trucks are very filthy.
  7. wornoutupser

wornoutupser Active Member

8. FracusBrown

FracusBrown Ponies and Planes

9. tardus

tardus New Member

If the trucks got too dirty inside and out, I would suggest the drivers write them up as a safety concern ...
  10. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

We used to have 2 car washers. That was cut to 1 several years ago, but every truck was washed every other day. Not terrible. Now every truck gets washed about every other week. Sometimes longer.
  11. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

^dirt is not a safety concern. I'm pretty creative but I'm not even sure how I could spin that one.

ours get washed somewhat occasionally, but the one carwasher is a friend of mine and if I ask nice he will take care of it for me ;)
  12. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

13. Tell them all the weight from the dirt is slowing you down plus it is using extra fuel...They understand things when money is involved!!
  14. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

still not a safety concern no matter how blasphemous that is. hahaha
  15. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

I believe it is a safety concern when the lights are so dirty, no one can see the hazards flashing away.
  16. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

ooooohhhh, well played.
  17. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Yup, or when I have to use my clothes to clean them. I figured out where the hose was.
  18. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Between the dirt on the inside of the window, the outside of the window and the mirrors, it makes a sunny day not so sunny.
  19. UPSER110

UPSER110 Active Member

Here is a few concerns I could think of..

-So dirty that you cant see the headlights/flashers/ reverse lights
    -So dirty the reflective tape is no longer reflective
    (360 degrees of visibility is limited)
    -So dirty you cant see the DOT number
    -So dirty you cant see if there was rust/shiny metal on the lug nuts (lug nuts backing out/loose)
    -So dirty the windshield and mirrors hinder your view
  20. sweatyguy

sweatyguy New Member

My package car was last washed in October :)