brown tape

DS

Fenderbender
I just had to vent about this.I have a pickup that I have been servicing for 18 years that ship 35-60 intl pkgs every day that is closing 1 hr earlier to cut back on expenses.They called the center and informed them on monday...the shipper told me and I said I would make sure they got a 3:45 p/u instead of the usual 4:45...next day not a word...my sup just shook his head ,no change in my board...today, (thursday) I lost it and informed the sales manager, the account exec and a sales rep I respect how pissed I was that nothing was done.
If I had called in sick or whatever ,this would be a missed pickup,and unfortunately I seemed to be the only one that cared...grrrrr
I went in off the clock and got my oms to change it in my board,
I also took the time to call my on car sup and told him that its hard workng our asses off for 10 plus hours every day and going to the pcm every morning to hear how much we suck.He said he gets is worse than us,but totally agreed that we are not appreciated when we do a good job,
Missed scans? talk to the culprits,dont blame all of us for the 1% that screw up,ok I vented.I love the browncafe.I will sleep better now.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
huh ????? I think you are the only one that cares... I've never done a route where the actual pickup times are accurate in the DIAD...
I always update my pickup log.At least once a month.Everyone with a route should be given the opportunity to update them.How easy it is.Print the drivers pickup log,put it in his/her mail box and ask him/her to make any changes,hand it back in,OMS make changes.Now every log will be correct.Not rocket science.

I always update my pickup log.At least once a month.Everyone with a route should be given the opportunity to update them.How easy it is.Print the drivers pickup log,put it in his/her mail box and ask him/her to make any changes,hand it back in,OMS make changes.Now every log will be correct.Not rocket science.

All but one of the routes that I regularly cover have as least one account in the DIAD list that have been canceled for a year or more. I even told the center manager of one myself that had already been turned in to the OMS more than once, tow weeks later it's still in there.

DS, make sure that account's closing time is correct. As a cover driver that info is more important to me than the scheduled PU time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

huh ????? I think you are the only one that cares... I've never done a route where the actual pickup times are accurate in the DIAD...

Then I invite you to run my run--my P/U times are within the +/- 15 min window. All I did was ask my OMS to print my P/U log and then went in, made the appropriate changes, she updated and we are all set. Took all of 5 minutes on my part and 10 on hers.

Pickup accounts appreciate reliability and I applaud DS for his persistence.

No such person

Southern Ct.
Have to agree, I'm a cover driver and feel like an idiot when I walk into a scheduled pickup and the customer says "Why are you so early? "(or late), or my favorite," We cancelled our pickup two years ago."

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've covered plenty of routes in my day. One route had about 25 pickups in the diad. 7 of them were "ghosts". I told him about these and he got all nervous and told me not too screw up his route. His buddy in a neighboring area had the same thing, 16 pickups, 3 ghosts.

You would think that someone would notice that these pickups have accumulated 0 packages in months. Godforbid a dropbox averages 2 a day, they will move it out. I am surprised sales doesn't get involved, I would doubt we are collecting the daily pickup fees on those accounts anyways.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I would think that with all this technology,GPS etc. you wouldn't want any dead pickups.If you punch in that you were there and take credit for a pickup stop wouldn't that be dis-honest?

BigBrownSanta

You should've called in sick and allowed that PU to be missed. You'd have saved yourself alot of aggravation. :wink:

I have 2 PU accounts that told me their accounts had been suspended. I sent a message asking about their account suspensions. I was told that they knew nothing about the suspensions and to continue making the PU's. I now have 2 quick and easy PU's that I stop at every day.

I also have 2 other PU's that want to cancel their daily PU accounts. Looks like I will soon have 4 quick and easy PU's.

over9five

Staff member
I would simply not enter/stop complete a pickup that was in my DIAD, but not active (ghost). You can say it's their fault for not removing it from your DIAD (and it is), but don't be dishonest by making it seem like you're making the pickup when you are not.

Taking credit for work you don't do is dishonest, pure and simple. You are falsifying a DIAD entry.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
in my center ever pm air run has ghosts.
Getting one removed takes forever. I have given up trying.
Its like they want them there to make it seem that we are really busy.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Its like they want them there to make it seem that we are really busy.

I had mentioned it to a different driver sup. and he said if they took them off, he would have to raise their min-max. So another 5-7 stops added when they only stop complete the "ghosts" anyways everyday. They already call in over 10 a lot, so he didnt want to deal with the hassel. Just looking out for the numbers as usual. They are in the board so they are only padding his plan day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"Ghost" pickups are an easy way for your center management team to look better on paper.

I have,in the past ,had ghost pickups stuck in my log for over a year. You can tell them until you are blue in the face but they wont remove it from your log.

The problem with skipping it is that you have to keep scrolling down past it in your pickup log. This gets to be a hassle. I finally got to the point where I would prerecord it to make it go away, but at the end of the day the DIAD will force you to stop complete it before you can punch out. You could not be charged with dishonesty for this, it is a problem with the DIAD program and a data-entry issue.

brownrodster

Have to agree, I'm a cover driver and feel like an idiot when I walk into a scheduled pickup and the customer says "Why are you so early? "(or late), or my favorite," We cancelled our pickup two years ago."

That's just part of being a cover driver. I don't mind it. I always like those routes that have 5 or more cancelled pickups still in the log.

Of course a perfect pick up log would be nice. I've just stopped caring, hoping, and dreaming of anything going well at UPS. I just roll with whatever they give me and do my best. I've learned that the less contact I have with management the happier I am.

leastbest

LeastBest
Why would you lose it? When I have a problem, I notify my supervisor. I document when and who I spoke too. If it isn't corrected I speak to the center manager. I document the problem and forget about it. It's no longer my problem. When it becomes a big problem in the future it's a shame but it's the way the place works.

Relax and enjoy the job. One stop at a time at a reasonable pace. UPS has many problems but I don't have any because I address it immediately with management. Once I do that it's out of my hands.

Last edited:

2Slow

I think it's foolish to stop complete those ghost pickups. You could legitimately be charged with dishonesty and padding your timecard. It's a very bad idea.

I would ask the Tech to remove them. If they won't I would use the non-delivery missed. If you write them up as missed everyday it will shake things up.

BigBrownSanta

Maybe you're doing the right thing. If you told them to remove it frrom your DIAD, and they didn't, maybe they still want you to stop by just in case?

I've always looked at it as management's way to manipulate the numbers.

There's probably a report that shows if the center loses PU accounts. Rather than show up on that report they just leave the PU's in the board. As long as the PU never complains, which they won't since they don't expect a PU, no one farther up the food chain is any the wiser.