Brown to the bone- new guy

BrownRoosterBrownBull

I bleed brown
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this community. Been with Brown for 12 years. Just got released back to work after 2 years out, back injury.

I'm involved in many online communities, from GM trucks to motorcycle forums to guns, now Brown Cafe.

Happy to be a part of the discussion and learn from the vets.

Thank you!

By The Book

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this community. Been with Brown for 12 years. Just got released back to work after 2 years out, back injury.

I'm involved in many online communities, from GM trucks to motorcycle forums to guns, now Brown Cafe.

Happy to be a part of the discussion and learn from the vets.

Thank you!
Welcome to the show! Anything on your mind?

BrownRoosterBrownBull

I bleed brown
Welcome to the show! Anything on your mind?

Thank you! Yes, I do have something on my mind.

I have many roads open to me with UPS. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in business management from a CSU. I'm not sure which way I want to go, management or hourly.

I hope to gain insight by reading other's posts. But, if anyone has some direct feedback to share, I'll gladly accept it!

I don't want to work a night shift. I like working regular hours. I'd like to spend time at home with the ones I love.

Last edited:

BrownRoosterBrownBull

I bleed brown
Its the wrong job,if you want family time.
Management or hourly.

understood, I've been a cover driver before.

But, there are a lot more hourly jobs during normal work schedules than management jobs during normal work schedules. And, the management jobs during normal work schedules are probably in very high demand.

Add to that, I'm single, no kids, and I just wanna hang out with friends & family (the ones I love), I will be at a political disadvantage against managers with kids & wives.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I'm not sure what the divorce rate is with drivers on this job, but I imagine it's pretty high. My wife basically raised our kids by herself. This job requires a lot of hours on a *good* day (or at least it used to). That goes for FT hourly as well as management.

BrownRoosterBrownBull

I bleed brown
No need to get smart. I wasn't trying to be rude, just saying. I mean 12 years is a long time to invest in a decision.

Agreed. I'll admit, my comment was a little snarky. I don't like being told what I should have done by complete strangers.

It just takes some folks a little longer to figure out their career path, I guess.

I appreciate the feedback everyone has given, including greengrenade's.

I don't want a bad intro thread to make my first impression here.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Agreed. I'll admit, my comment was a little snarky. I don't like being told what I should have done by complete strangers.

It just takes some folks a little longer to figure out their career path, I guess.

I appreciate the feedback everyone has given, including greengrenade's.

I don't want a bad intro thread to make my first impression here.
Good luck to whatever you choose. Hopefully not the dark side! Which is management.

By The Book

I'll admit when I was hired on at ups my plan was to go into management ASAP. I was part time and noticed a fellow employee who went into management soon after I started. He went to what all the seniority guys called brainwashing school. He absolutely changed and couldn't associate with us like he used to. I took that as a sign that I wasn't going to give up who I was. I felt I would be selling my soul, so I never looked back and went full time when it was my turn. I get your point that people change career paths etc. Sometimes I wonder where I would be now and how my life would be different if I had made a choice to go into management , and always come back to I made the right choice for me. I have control of my days, and can turn it off when I punch out.