Building closing?

Buffaloaf

They are working a 3 hour shift on twilight and a 3 hour shift on the night sort. Apparently in the state of Illinois, 30 hours of work a wee is considered full-time. Since the jobs are guarenteed 30 hours of work, it's still considered to be full time work. Loop hole in Illinois that UPS clearly is taking advantage of, although, this has been long time coming for the TWI sort -- there just isn't enough work. As far as the building goes, I've heard that the night sort isn't going anywhere. Heard it from a couple ft-sups and a manager. Obviously things can change, but this is certainly a more upbeat tune than they were singing a month ago.

Foxups

Foxups
I heard from a source that RFD was going to lose a sort or 2 and that full timers where going to have to go back part time. The source said that these first 16 full timers to get laid off are the first of many.:angry: I guess i will be saving as much money as i can:sad-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They are working a 3 hour shift on twilight and a 3 hour shift on the night sort. Apparently in the state of Illinois, 30 hours of work a wee is considered full-time. Since the jobs are guarenteed 30 hours of work, it's still considered to be full time work. Loop hole in Illinois that UPS clearly is taking advantage of, although, this has been long time coming for the TWI sort -- there just isn't enough work. As far as the building goes, I've heard that the night sort isn't going anywhere. Heard it from a couple ft-sups and a manager. Obviously things can change, but this is certainly a more upbeat tune than they were singing a month ago.

What Teamsters local in RFD? Why is gaurantee 30 hours?

Buffaloaf

What Teamsters local in RFD? Why is gaurantee 30 hours?

It is local 710. What happened is the Full time employees have been laid off. Sent back to part time. Meanwhile, sixteen new jobs have been created that are two 3 hours shifts (30 hours a week). These laid off full timers presumably have the most seniority and can grab these jobs if they want (the two shifts would be the exact two they just were working on, I believe). This is a loophole in the tax break that UPS just got from the state of IL because in IL 30 hours is considered to be full-time. Essentially, on paper that have the same number of full time jobs, but 16 of those jobs arn't as good as what they used to be.

Buffaloaf

I heard from a source that RFD was going to lose a sort or 2 and that full timers where going to have to go back part time. The source said that these first 16 full timers to get laid off are the first of many.:angry: I guess i will be saving as much money as i can:sad-very:

I have not heard this at all. I did hear from a bunch of ramp people that ONT was gone March 1st. ONT is still here, right? I wouldn't trust everything you hear coming from the shift or the ramp, they have too much time standing around all night to come up with wild rumors. 8P The last thing I heard was actually pretty positive. We might lose BDL in June, but that appears to be the end of the bleeding. Also, the fact that there is a plan for RFD in June to lose something at least shows that there is a plan for RFD. Should have flights coming back in by September to build for peak.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It is local 710. What happened is the Full time employees have been laid off. Sent back to part time. Meanwhile, sixteen new jobs have been created that are two 3 hours shifts (30 hours a week). These laid off full timers presumably have the most seniority and can grab these jobs if they want (the two shifts would be the exact two they just were working on, I believe). This is a loophole in the tax break that UPS just got from the state of IL because in IL 30 hours is considered to be full-time. Essentially, on paper that have the same number of full time jobs, but 16 of those jobs arn't as good as what they used to be.

Ahh 710. Here you are guaranteed 40 hours a week and two continuous shifts to make 8 hours. I would imagine 710s seperately negotiated contract hurts the members, here. Or, UPS is just slashing with no regard and grievances will be filed.

Don't bet on the Rockford Hub being open in 2011, at least not at the capacity that it currently runs at. Rockford was proposed as being the backup for LOUKY in the event the sort could not run(weather)...this proposal was later dropped with the realization that Rockford could in no way handle a tangable portion of the volume that Louisville runs. Look for the main sort to shut down all togther, the package operation out of Rockford will continue to operate. The benifit of not closing ILRFD is that its ramp is only second in size to Louisville, althought the sort capacity is 1/8th at best. With small package continuing to operate out of the facility UPS will still reap the benifits of the tax incentives, but with the closure of the air sort will lose a HUGE portion of its employees. Hope you work small pack, and not the night air sort............

Last edited:

Buffaloaf

Don't bet on the Rockford Hub being open in 2011, at least not at the capacity that it currently runs at. Rockford was proposed as being the backup for LOUKY in the event the sort could not run(weather)...this proposal was later dropped with the realization that Rockford could in no way handle a tangable portion of the volume that Louisville runs. Look for the main sort to shut down all togther, the package operation out of Rockford will continue to operate. The benifit of not closing ILRFD is that its ramp is only second in size to Louisville, althought the sort capacity is 1/8th at best. With small package continuing to operate out of the facility UPS will still reap the benifits of the tax incentives, but with the closure of the air sort will lose a HUGE portion of its employees. Hope you work small pack, and not the night air sort............

Do you have any kind of hard evidence of this at all or is this just based on trends?

kale931

See this is the stuff that ticks me off....so what we have to worry about this and wait and see or find another job now? Where are you getting this information? If the main sort closes (90% of the jobs) and UPS fails to maintain full-time employees as it stated, how would it still get the tax incentives?? Did George Brooks lie to Illinois government then?

I wish we would be handed some facts. 1000+ families are worried about this out here. :whiteflag:

Foxups

Foxups
Well if the night side did close good luck in finding a job in Rockford since we are the 14th most miserable city to live in with high unemployment rate. If it where to happen i am leaving Rockford, UPS is the only reason why i stayed in rockford.

kale931

The crazy thing is that they just spent tons of money on upgradeing Rockford!! I heard like 30 or 40 million dollars a couple years ago. It's a new and pretty efficient building, I'd like to see them figure out a way of using that.

It's really too bad we're down so far as it is. I used to have much more pride to work there, but now since they cut so bad things are much worse. :sad-little:

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I have not heard this at all. I did hear from a bunch of ramp people that ONT was gone March 1st. ONT is still here, right? I wouldn't trust everything you hear coming from the shift or the ramp, they have too much time standing around all night to come up with wild rumors. 8P The last thing I heard was actually pretty positive. We might lose BDL in June, but that appears to be the end of the bleeding. Also, the fact that there is a plan for RFD in June to lose something at least shows that there is a plan for RFD. Should have flights coming back in by September to build for peak.

ONT is the one air hub (besides Louisville, of course) that CAN'T go away. There is no way to make service commitments to and from the west coast without ONT.

One last time: the most economical airfeed network is a single, all-points air hub. However, with the distance and time zones involved, the minimum for UPS is two: Louisville, and Ontario, CA. That's why you have seen all the other air hubs shut down or cut way back: the AIRPLANES are the MOST expensive part of the whole shebang, and reducing the number of nodes in the network cuts the most expense out of the network. SORTING costs are the LOWEST cost component of package handling. AIRPLANES are the HIGHEST. To minimize cost, you minimize airplanes. Simple as that.

Buffaloaf

ONT is the one air hub (besides Louisville, of course) that CAN'T go away. There is no way to make service commitments to and from the west coast without ONT.

One last time: the most economical airfeed network is a single, all-points air hub. However, with the distance and time zones involved, the minimum for UPS is two: Louisville, and Ontario, CA. That's why you have seen all the other air hubs shut down or cut way back: the AIRPLANES are the MOST expensive part of the whole shebang, and reducing the number of nodes in the network cuts the most expense out of the network. SORTING costs are the LOWEST cost component of package handling. AIRPLANES are the HIGHEST. To minimize cost, you minimize airplanes. Simple as that.

I think you misunderstood that first part of my post: The rumor around RFD was that our inbound ONT was going to be diverted to LOUKY on 3/1. Not sure where I said that airplanes are not expensive or that sorting is expensive, so I'll assume that you're talking to someone else with that point.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I think you misunderstood that first part of my post: The rumor around RFD was that our inbound ONT was going to be diverted to LOUKY on 3/1. Not sure where I said that airplanes are not expensive or that sorting is expensive, so I'll assume that you're talking to someone else with that point.

I apologize for misunderstanding your post: I read it to mean that the ONT sort would close March 1. My point was that the ONT sort would never close because we can't make service without it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I worte a thread similar to yours about six months ago. That same rumor is always going around. Yet at my HUB they have moved a bunch of sups around and moved the HUB manager to driver manager. Strange I know, but if you're place is dealing with packages, that might be good enough on its own.

If they did close, I mean, they would have to move all that work to a building elsewhere. They would have to create more drivers, and most likely, a longer drive to that location because of it. Its uncertain what is going down now, but always be looking for other jobs anyways, better safe then sorry.

But I see it as this. Whatever they decide to do, they will always end up kicking themselves in the ass because if it.

Last edited:

local804

Really sucks that a UPS building is being shut down. There is enough volume coming back here they are actually opening up a new building here this year.

Foxups

Foxups
We don't know if we are closing down for sure or if they are closing down a shift unless you know something we dont know local804?

Last edited:

local804

No, Dont know something you dont know. I was just commenting on some of the posts I seen on here and the title of the thread.