bus crash kills at least 10 after FedEx truck collision

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why should he?

Because he is all powerful, right? Why should he get any credit for "miracles", when he doesn't get the ding for the bad stuff? Let's say someone gets rescued from that Korean ferry (I hope). It's a miracle, right? But what about the other 299 people who drowned? The question should be, "Why doesn't he?".

HomeDelivery

back on topic:

the driver was in his young 30s w/ a clean record

there was no flame under the cab upon impact w/ the bus

RIP to those lives that have been cut short

DontThrowPackages

All those forms of science are based on formulas and proof until somebody proves them wrong. Quantum physics is direct proof of that. Quantum computing in which the binary codes of 0 and 1 are not mutually exclusive but in fact unlock all new possibilities.

But who has disproven the Golden Rule? Or seen peoples lives turn around due to religious experience? I really don't see how one can be open to one and not the other.
People turn their own lives around. If someone stops smoking Meth because he believes God wants him to, well, in reality that person helped himself but he gives a God all the credit. If Kurt Warner wins the superbowl and thanks God for the win well just because he thinks a God had something to do with it, doesn't make it so.
And although physicists say its impossible to make a baseball curve, I can at least see it with my own eyes to know, in fact it is possible. But nothing in Religion gives me any tangible evident of its validity.

DontThrowPackages

Most of the science we have today was just theory a couple of hundred years ago, maybe not even theory. Maybe the proof you are writing about is right around the next corner. Every year more of the bible is being backed up with archeological and scientific discoveries, answering questions that people have had for years. Many intelligent and well educated people have tried over the centuries to disprove the bible and prove that god doesn't exist. So far no one has succeeded in either goal.
If all this was wrong, someone who have done it by now. Maybe all the people who believe aren't wrong after all.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.
But none of those same people have proven there is a God either.

bbsam

Staff member
People turn their own lives around. If someone stops smoking Meth because he believes God wants him to, well, in reality that person helped himself but he gives a God all the credit. If Kurt Warner wins the superbowl and thanks God for the win well just because he thinks a God had something to do with it, doesn't make it so.
And although physicists say its impossible to make a baseball curve, I can at least see it with my own eyes to know, in fact it is possible. But nothing in Religion gives me any tangible evident of its validity.
Maybe religion isn't for you then. But my experience is that.i did not stop smoking crack on my own and it was not until relying on a "power greater than myself" that I was able to. And I'm not special in that. There are literally tens of millions who would yell you the exact same thing. Agnostics, Wiccans, Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, and even Southern Baptists. People generally of wildly huge egos and shattered lives turning to "prayer, the last refuge of a scoundrel.". But, believe as you will. I used to be an atheist too so I understand the skepticism. I just think mine was misguided. Both religion and science are readily evident in my life every day. I think it would seem empty without one or the other. So while you and others try to figure out why God allows evil to happen in the world, others are committing themselves to, in small ways, alleviating its suffering.

bbsam

Staff member
If I saw a burning bush, I'd put it out to stop a brush fire. I figure some idiot lit it on fire to try and prove a point that can't be proven.
The other possibility is that, like Saul, you are currently unable to see a burning bush.

DontThrowPackages

Maybe religion isn't for you then. But my experience is that.i did not stop smoking crack on my own and it was not until relying on a "power greater than myself" that I was able to. And I'm not special in that. There are literally tens of millions who would yell you the exact same thing. Agnostics, Wiccans, Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, and even Southern Baptists. People generally of wildly huge egos and shattered lives turning to "prayer, the last refuge of a scoundrel.". But, believe as you will. I used to be an atheist too so I understand the skepticism. I just think mine was misguided. Both religion and science are readily evident in my life every day. I think it would seem empty without one or the other. So while you and others try to figure out why God allows evil to happen in the world, others are committing themselves to, in small ways, alleviating its suffering.
Right. Religion stopped being for me, once I was old enough to think for myself. What some people call, "God spoke to me" is nothing more than their own conscious speaking to them. I've seen too many so call Christians acted nothing like. Jesus fed the poor but today's Christians say friend' the poor. Jesus loathed the money lenders but today Christians worship the Bankers. I can no longer believe something so called Christians, really deep down, don't even believe themselves. And I can't give someone credit for doing good by mankind because he thinks it will get him into heaven. But I do have much respect for a person, who doesn't believe in a after life reward, following "The gold rule" because the right thing to do. Less than 48 hours ago I was talking to someone. She was telling me how her aunt, who has no money, gives to the church. She then tells me back when the husband of the aunt died, the aunt, with the insurance money, gave 10,000 dollars to the church. My friend said someone in the church ran off with the money. Than poor woman really could have used than 10,000 dollars but her religious believes said to give it to the church and her reward was someone stealing it. Benny Hinn was the final blow to whatever shred of belief I had. How can Jesus wear a 50,000 dollar Rolex when people are starving?
But please, If religion is the reason more people aren't criminals then I'm all for it. Just don't knock on my door at 9am Saturday morning to tell me about it.

vantexan

Jesus said "Not everyone who sayeth unto me Lord, Lord will enter into Heaven but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in Heaven". Not sure if I got that exactly right but the thing is there are many who profess Christianity but as the Apostle Paul said "their god is their belly". But one shouldn't assume that all Christians are like that. Alot of very dedicated folk out there doing things like medical missions in Africa, etc. What always amazes me about many non-believers is it's not enough to just live out their lives in peace. After all this isn't the age where people were required to observe the Sabbath, etc or risk severe punishment. No, today's non-believer not only wants to not believe, but just knowing others do just gnaws at him, makes him want to attack every chance he gets. Just in this thread one sees alot of sneering, alot of vitriol. What exactly goes on in your lives, other than FedEx, that makes you so angry and bitter towards those who are trying to live by a certain code? Just consider this...if there were no moral standards to live by, if all those who profess Christianity were to suddenly decide tomorrow to just live for themselves and screw everyone literally and figuratively, would the world be a better place or a much more difficult, dangerous place than it is now? We already have plenty of people doing terrible things, including so called Christians who are hypocrites. Imagine if all the many millions more of not only Christians but Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus and others were to do as some of you think they should, stop living by a moral code that keeps them mostly from lashing out and hurting others. Think the world is bad now? It truly would be a Darwinian survival of the fittest world.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Good on you for getting off the pipe, but maybe the "power" was really you, manifested in a diversion that gave you a purpose other than crack...in your case, Christianity. I'm sure it's the same for millions of others who will say the same thing. That Jesus, Allah (insert deity here) saved them from themselves, when, in fact, it functioned like a rehab program.

You transferred from one focus to another. Attribute the credit where it is due...to yourself.